Parents Help me understand state meet scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dad1234

Proud Parent
Help me understand state meet scores. My daughter hasn’t had her state meet yet but will soon. I’m trying to understand if scoring is different than a regular meet. So, for example, say there are three sessions for a level and each session has a group of junior A kids. Is there one all around state winner between those three sessions or are there three first place state champions because there were three sessions? Are winners determined across all sessions with the highest scoring from all athletes in that age category or it it like any other meet where there are winners per session? Thanks!

I know that we had a district meet and the gym in charge "messed up" with naming the groups. They had to split Level 5s (12 & Under and 13 & over) into 2 different sessions. They called the 12 & unders "Junior" and "Senior".
On my team, all but 1 of our level 5s were in the 12 & under group. The next session, the age groups for 13 & over were "Junior" and "Senior". A bit confusing for the girls who are older than the youngest L5s are also listed in a "child" age group. Since I keep track of our team scores, places, and stats of all types, I changed the age groups on my spreadsheet to Junior A and Junior B for the first session and Senior A and Senior B for the second session.
A similar thing happened with Level 3 with "Child" "Junior" and "Senior" in both sessions. I changed them to Child A, Child B, Junior A and Junior B, Senior A, and Senior B.
Maybe something similar is going on ... or maybe they are going to be separating "small" gyms from "big" gyms???

@Dad1234 I'm also a bit confused by this. I followed my gym's state meet scores for the first time and it seems like there were champions per session, but the overall scores (across sessions) determined who qualified for regionals and final "placement". For example, my gym's Xcel Silvers were first in their state meet session, but 6th overall (by team score). I think individual placements follow a similar structure, where the final score is compared across all competitors/teams and that produces the final results.

Help me understand state meet scores. My daughter hasn’t had her state meet yet but will soon. I’m trying to understand if scoring is different than a regular meet. So, for example, say there are three sessions for a level and each session has a group of junior A kids. Is there one all around state winner between those three sessions or are there three first place state champions because there were three sessions? Are winners determined across all sessions with the highest scoring from all athletes in that age category or it it like any other meet where there are winners per session? Thanks!
In general, the awards are given out per session but the name of the age groups are usually specific to each session- you would not have a junior a in more than one session. The only way to know for sure about this would be to let us know your state and hopefully someone here knows specifics. You could also try to figure it out by looking up previous years on mymeetscores.com

JO or XCel? And is the meet in one location or in multiple places because of COVID? Ordinarily, you'd have the same judges doing the whole meet in one place, judging across multiple sessions. However, as others have noted, in a normal year, they will run sessions with all gymnasts of the same age competing together. So all the Junior As compete at once, and the winner of that session is the Junior A champ. But this is of course not a normal year.

We're in a state with location restrictions, and when we hosted (1/3 of) states for the guys, they competed by gym, so multiple levels competed in the same session. Level/age winners were determined for our meet at the end of the meet after everyone had competed. In our state, there were thus three "state champions" for everything this year, since the judges weren't the same.

For state each session will only have 1-2 age groups in it they put all the kids in an age group in the same session. This means that she wont compete with her whole team just teammates from her level that are in her age group or the other age groups in her session. You dont find out the team "state champion" till the last session because all the girls for a team may not have competed till the last session and they take the top 4 scores for the team. So if you are in an early session you wont see them hand out the team awards.

So each session does have a "state champion" (or two or three depending on how many age groups they fit in a session) and they are the state champion for that age group. There are lots of age groups at state because there are so many kids competing so yes lots of "state champions" in that perspective. Just like any other meet they put the kids on an ageline essentially and break up the age groups relatively evenly. I have found at state they are competing more against kids their own age because there are so many kids at the meet that the age groups tend to be narrower (at least at the lower levels at the upper levels it can be different)

Our state meet had a different setup this year, probably due to covid. Usually if there are multiple sessions per level, the girls compete based on age and so a gym may have girls in an earlier session and a later one. Due to covid, this year when 2 sessions were needed the girls competed in a group for their gym. This meant that you did not know the true state champion for an age group like SR A until all sessions for that level were complete because some of the SR A girls were in session 1 and some in session 2. Awards were given to the coaches to distribute at practice. I prefer when they compete in age groups but this year we are just thankful to have a season.

It can depend on the level and state that you're in. When dd was a L3 and L4, the state meets were basically like every other normal meet, except for needing to meet the score requirement to compete. All of the girls on her team competed in the same session and were split into age groups for awards. So, there were multiple state champions for each age group.
Starting at level 5, they split the age groups up evenly so the girls did not compete together but in the session based on their age group. For example, all girls born between April 3, 2004 and January 10, 2005 were in one session called Junior D. So there is only one Junior D state champion.
I guess that this didn't really answer your question but I'm not sure how they could say that there is only one state champion in an age group if there are multiple sessions with that age group. It's not like they could bring the girls back from the previous sessions to award them.

I'm also a bit confused by this. I followed my gym's state meet scores for the first time and it seems like there were champions per session, but the overall scores (across sessions) determined who qualified for regionals
In JO there is a AA and event “state Champion” for each age group. If there are 15 age groups there is a “state champion” for each one, so 15 AA champions, 15 event champions per event (no parent ever puts that on their Facebook posts ;)).

Regional qualification is a percentage based on your state. all age groups are combined and then the top percent (whatever that is in your region) qualifies to regionals. In our region this is for levels level 7-10.

In my state, the state meet is typically organized by age groups (usually having 15-20 girls), each session having several different age groups, and awards presented to those age groups at the end of that session. Within any team the girls end up split up competing in different sessions over the course of the weekend, and team awards are announced only at the end of the last session.

This year due to COVID, our state meets are virtual and the sessions arranged by gyms regardless of age. While mymeetscores and meetscoresonline display place by session/age group, the true placements were not determined until the end of the weekend when girls were merged by age across sessions, and the final meet results were posted on the state website. Awards are being mailed to the gyms.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back