Help on throwing my FHS FT!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
About a month ago, I got my FHS FT on floor. But i have always taken forever to go...meaning i will just stand their swaying back and forth for a few minutes, and then i will go. And last week, I started throwing FHS Front Pikes. But at the last 3 practices, I wouldn't even do a FHS Front Tuck anymore! I will do them on the tumble track, but everytime i go to do it on the floor...i won't throw it! Do you have any advice on this? It is really frustrating me, because yestarday I wouldn't do ANY of my skills on floor because I was already upset from these.

You know what they say: two steps forward, one step back. If your fear has come back, you may need to go back to trampoline, then on the floor onto a squishy mat, with a spot, etc. Everyone has ups and downs. Good luck!

Thanks! Any more advice? I am REALLY frustrated with this skill and it is really bothering me. I just can't stop thinking about how I won't go!

There isn't really any magical way that'll make you do it if it's a mental problem.

a) just do it

or b) go back to a stage where you are comfortable, get a spot/extra mats as posted above and just get your confidence level back up.

Sometimes you'll just have to be patient with a skill. Also sometimes it's good to not push yourself for a couple of practices, because sometimes what causes the mental block is the expectations you set on yourself. (Which would make perfect sense, sometimes when skills are going well and you're improving that can actually scare you into developing fears)

Trust me I know how you feel!
Like they said go back to how you feel comfortable, go to tumble track do tons on there.
When your on floor just work front handsprings and front tucks seprate so that your still doing the skills.
Do front handspring dive rolls onto 8 inchers and eventually you will get it again.
But when it comes to fears you just have to do it, pretend that you never stopped doing them.
I just went threw this (again) with my flyaway I was progressing really good first got my layout flyaway then got my cast away layout flyaway and they were really good then I started bailing out of them and then I wouldn't even do fly aways out of taps.
But I finally just got on the bar and told myself that i never stopped doing them, and i did it.
No worrys, definetly dont get frustrated that doesn't help at all.
Good luck!

Thanks! Any more advice? I am REALLY frustrated with this skill and it is really bothering me. I just can't stop thinking about how I won't go!

Maybe the fact that you keep thinking about not doing it, is holding you back. I'm not a gymnast but I know that your mind is a powerful thing. Set your mind to thinking you CAN do it. Just like the Little Engine that could..."I think I can, I think I can, I think I can".

Good luck, it will come back.

I had the exact same experience with my hand front last year. I learned to throw mine pretty quick because I wasn't afraid to land on my butt, but I was having a crummy floor day one day and failed to flip after a few tries and my coach told me I needed to throw one before I left, and then the martial arts guys who use our floor came and kicked us off our own floor... they aren't allowed to practice in our gym anymore... and I wouldn't throw one for a month after that. I had no reason to be scared, but I just couldn't do it. I even went through the "If you don't flip one in the next 5 minutes you have 500 push ups next practice" thing. Guess what? I did 500 push ups next practice.

Because it's a fear issue and not an inability to do the skill my coaches wouldn't spot at all, or they would spot two and then give me my own corner of the floor and say "go when you're ready while the rest of my team tumbled in the other corner." There was a solid two weeks were i spent 45 standing in the corner not going. This was about 6 weeks before my first level 7 competition, and about 2 weeks into this mental block my coach quit. It wasn't fun at all, but the words she left me with were "you have to want it more than you're afraid of it." You have to accept that you're scared and go for it anyways. It's the only way to get over it. And it is hard, possibly the hardest thing I ever had to do in gymnastics. You also know that the worst that will happen is that you land on your butt. It'll come back, you just have to want it enough.

Well, yestarday, I threw one on the tumble track. And when i went to the floor, I did about 5 warmups, (just a FHS rebound) and then I stood there for a while, and I just threw it! It felt really good too! I was so excited that I had done one in over a week that I didn't want to do anymore. I was scared that if i went agian, I wouldn't throw it. I think that my coach was a little annoyed with me at that decision, but she said "fair enough" when I told her, and didn't really pay attention to me on back tumbling. But I am scared to try again, because I don't want to "not go" and it takes me SO LONG to go!

One thing you can do is try some front handsprings with a rebound in a really tight shape so you can bounce really high, this will help if you are scared of landing on your head. You'll know that you'll make it with all the height you have. You could also have your coach apot you or stand next to the floor where you're going (you know what i mean?). Hope this helps :)
-Cam, level 8

In practice this week i started throwing them again :) So i guess it was just a short period i was going through. But i think i hurt my achellis tendon, so it might be a while before i tumble again. We will see, i am going to the doctor this week :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back