Parents Help re compulsory 6 UK

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I'm desperately after some help understanding what seems to be really confusing! My daughter is 7 and lives and breathes gymnastics. She has been in a WAG development squad since she was 5 but due to Covid only experienced her first Grades recently. While most in her squad did Club grade 6, she was put in to do Compulsory 6 and did well and came 2nd with a score of over 60 (which I guess is a good score as she got Silver). We have since discovered that the girls who got a medal in their Club Grades have qualified for Regional finals but because my daughter did Compulsory, she doesn't qualify, which I find strange. If this is so, can anyone explain to me what path the compulsory route will take her to? The only thing we know of that's next is levels in the Autumn but I've also read that a gymnast can't do them if they've passed a compulsory in the same year? It's so confusing, I seem to go round in circles trying to find anything useful. Any information will be very gratefully received

Hi, firstly it sounds as if your daughter is doing very well so far and has been identified as a possible candidate for the compulsory route, although it's very early days. Compulsory is the highest level of competition, followed by National Grades, then regional and club grades. There are also voluntary levels which correspond.

Compulsory levels start at level 4, it sounds as if your county/region has set it's own rules for compulsory 6 and 5 as a lead in to this. In our region all counties compete their club grade 6 and 5 together but maybe your county has had a competition as a qualifier to region? I know it's difficult when you're just starting out but try not to get too bogged down in levels etc. As long as your daughter is happy and thriving that's the main thing.

There are a few threads about British levels if you search, that should help in the meantime. Also I would suggest trying to get a quick meeting with your coach, they are best able to explain the pathway your daughter is on and what level she will compete in the autumn.

It is true that you can't compete in one of the new levels (zinc, copper etc- sometimes referred to as the metal levels) if you have competed in a compulsory grade that year. But there are voluntary levels also which are aimed at compulsory gymnasts. Regions must provide a voluntary level 4 and 3. If you region has provided a compulsory 6 and 5 then they will also provide a voluntary level 6 and 5. Your dd will do level 6 this autumn.

So each year you can do compulsory grades and voluntary levels
OR club/ regional/ national grades and metal levels.
You can swap between the streams each year.

Some regions just do one lot of club and regional grades while others do county/subregional grades and then a regional final.

Good luck to your dd and well done, if she has been selected to do compulsory grades she is doing very well and is on a harder pathway than the girls doing regional grades. So while she might feel like she is missing out on a regional final this year she likely will be moved to a more advanced squad with more hours soon (which they might then feel they are missing out on). It is all swings and roundabouts.

Reactions: rd7
Thank you so much for your replies, they help a lot. There seems to be very limited information around. My daughters coach is amazing and I'll definitely speak to her at some point, she's just so busy and I don't even know what I want or need to ask half the time! My daughter loves what she's doing so in the meantime, I'll go with the flow and try and learn along the way.

Reactions: rd7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back