Parents Help!/Update - Level 8 or 9.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jenn's Jam

Proud Parent
Hey! So I've been gone from the forum for quite some time as DD (12) has been insanely busy I forgot to post anything on here.

So as some of you may know, DD has not been doing gymnastics for long, she has only been doing it for about 1.5 yrs. Granted, she did do dance for all of her life before she started gym (which helped her out tremendously) she hasn't been doing the sport itself for very long. DD has had a huge jump start in gymnastics, last year she was planned to compete Xcel Gold, then it turned into Xcel platinum, then even diamond, then she ended up competing JO L7 and got 2nd overall at state. It was an insane year, she got skills insanely fast and by the end of the winter she had almost every L8 skill, so it was planned she was gonna compete Level 8 or 9 this year, which (as I said in my last post) is insane after not even doing gym for 2 years.

As the skills get harder and harder, obviously how fast she has gotten skills has gone down a bit, but no doubt she still gets big skills at least once every 2 week, which makes sense as they are huge skills.

As it is mid-summer, she has nearly every skill for L9 except a high bar - low bar release move, (bars has always been her weakness!)
Her Level 8 skills, are pretty flawless, she could score mid to high 9's if she competed level 8, her level 9 skills, for sure need some work, probably mid to high 8's as of now, and I do know her, she gets skills crazy fast, but it does take more time for her to clean up the skills, and all of level 8 skills are polished and competition ready even though its July.
I'm not entirely sure what to do, DD said she is fine with competing whatever as long as she gets to compete, and HC said she could compete L9 pretty well, but would have a fantastic L8 year. So I am leaning towards L8 as we're in no rush. But I thought I should come here for some advice. What would you do?

Has the coach asked for your input with the decision? It seems you do discuss stuff fairly regularly from what my fuzzy brain can recall...from what you are writing it sounds like the coach is giving you some input? Am I way off?

Reactions: sce
Is the first meet in 2019? If so, you still have time to decide and I’d just wait and see where she is several months from now and then let her and coach weigh the options. Good luck!

My coach constantly tells us that simpler skills done well are ALWAYS better than harder skills done badly. Whenever we are faced with what level to go into, we drop, and upgrade through the season if we can. I would agree with @raenndrops and at least start the season at 8, especially since she doesn't confidently have all the skills at 9 and has only been in the sport for such a short amount of time.

I say level 8. Have a good solid season and give herself time to be truly ready for 9. She is still pretty young and has so little gymnastics experience. No need to rush anything.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back