Help with my kip!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

LiveLoveGym!

Okayy well right now i'm on level 4 training level 5 and i need to get my kip! I'm 13 years old so i'm way too old for level 4. My coach wants me moving to level 6 but i really need to get my kip. My jump to the bar is fine but i think i need to glide out more or something because i cant get back to the top of the bar. Any tips?

I actually use P-bar kips to help teach or train regular kips.

The kip glide is pretty much the same as any other kip.
Jump, push on the bar in a hollow shape, extend the glide until your shoulders open.
Once you have a good glide, pike as much as you can while closing your shoulders. The advantage with using P=bars is your don't slam you feet or shins into a bar in the kip. Try to stay piked as long as you can and you'll be able to cast at the end of the kip.

Work a basket swing besides drop/short kips.

Make sure your L-sit and V-hang is solid.

Make sure you jump to the bars with arms already extended

kips

hey I had the same problem.
It's really inportant to push your hips up in your glide, and with the hips still up snap your feet to the bar as fast as possible! And rotate your hands when you pull the bar to your hips. :)

But really get your hips out there!

Hope this helps!

Its all in the rhythm. Be sure to pull your toes up to the bar while you are naturally coming back from your glide. I , too, would work on basket swings to make sure that you arent breaking the flow of your swing. Good luck. Hang in there!!

Think of doing your kip like pulling up your pants. You bring your toes up 2 the bar and pull yourself up. try asking your coach if there are any drills that you can do at home 2. I hope this helps.

drills

i couldn't get my kip for the longest time too. my coach had me go on p-bars she put one bar down and the other one up grab the top bar and put ur feet on the lower bar and try to swing up to support. another one is put panel mats under the regular low bar and stack it so u can bend ur arms a little when u grab the bar. grab the bar and lay out with ur legs hanging off and u r in a good glide possition, then bring ur feet to the bar and "pull up ur pants" and try to do a kip. this drill is very hard i can do kips and i still struggle with this drill also try and keep ur legs straight hope this helps!!

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back