Help with piroette !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi , my name is Chelsea . I am a level 8 gymnast. I was a level 10 while I was
still in gymnastics. I quit in October 2007. I was 12 then. I can still do all the skills that I need for level 8. Its just , I am kind of out of shape now. Not really.
But kind of. I am training my self. I have a job and am saving up to buy some
equipment. Like right now all I have are two mats and a floor bar. But I will be building a beam. And getting a highway for it. I am getting a slope mat. A set of uneven bars , and I am buying plywood , and gymnastics springs and a eZ roll mat , for over top of my floor. I will have everything , but right now , I only have a floor bar and two mats. I really want to work on my piroette. Once im in handstand , I can switch my hand around , so I'am set up to twist but I just
fall over so if anybody has any advice I would really appreciate it and will try anything ! Thanks !

Chelsea .

Oh ps - I have a tramp incase that has to do with any drills you guys might come up with.

CRAYOLA,
If you're having trouble making the turn after switching your hand for a handstand pirouette, I suggest you do a handstand a bit away from a wall. With your feet supporting you on the wall, make your hand switch and using your feet to help you against the wall, make the pirouette happen. If you make the 1/2 pirouette against a wall and can't do another 1/2 pirouette to come down, simply tuck your head and forward roll out of it. Once you get good at this, try remembering the same body action (after switching your hand) on just the floor. Don't even attempt to do a pirouette on a bar until you are consistent with them on the floor. A good exercise to gain strength for pirouettes is holding a handstand against a wall and walking with your hands in place. Once you are good at that, handstand walking across the floor is another strength promoting exercise. Work hard, be patient and you will get those pirouettes on floor and the bar! :)

CRAYOLA,
If you're having trouble making the turn after switching your hand for a handstand pirouette, I suggest you do a handstand a bit away from a wall. With your feet supporting you on the wall, make your hand switch and using your feet to help you against the wall, make the pirouette happen. If you make the 1/2 pirouette against a wall and can't do another 1/2 pirouette to come down, simply tuck your head and forward roll out of it. Once you get good at this, try remembering the same body action (after switching your hand) on just the floor. Don't even attempt to do a pirouette on a bar until you are consistent with them on the floor. A good exercise to gain strength for pirouettes is holding a handstand against a wall and walking with your hands in place. Once you are good at that, handstand walking across the floor is another strength promoting exercise. Work hard, be patient and you will get those pirouettes on floor and the bar! :)

thank you soo much ! i am deffinatley going to try this tonight !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back