help with splits?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

shorty6

a little over a year ago i was so close to doing the splits, but then i pulled my leg muscle. i continue to stretch but still haven't got my splits. do you know any exercises to help my flexibility get better? thanks.

This is the stretches that have helped me most - I have my right splits and almost my left splits now.

First start in a lunge with your back knee on the ground, lean forward, but make sure your front leg stays perpendicular to the floor. Try to get your hips toward the floor. If that's easy, you can lean forward and try to put your elbows on the floor. Then slide backward until your front knee is straight(but not sitting on your back leg), and try to touch your head to your knee. You should be trying to hold these for a minimum of 30 seconds. Trying to work up to 1 min seems to be the most recommended. But remember not to push yourself to far or too fast, or you'll pull something again. It will take time. Hope this helps!

Try some hamstring exercises and some leg flexiblilty exercises to help improve your splits!! (sorry this is in all caps, i didn't realize it until halfway through this reply!)

a little over a year ago i was so close to doing the splits, but then i pulled my leg muscle. i continue to stretch but still haven't got my splits. do you know any exercises to help my flexibility get better? thanks.
Shorty, if you nearly had your splits before your injury, just do two things 1. Do what you did before because it was working and 2. Be patient, your body is only protecting itself. Over stretching anything is best done slowly. I tell my gymnasts to go into splits when the watching TV. When the ads come on, go into the splits then when the program is on rest. Serves 2 purposes it ensures working flexibility every day and it adds interest to the boring ads.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back