Coaches Help with Xcel Silver tumbling passes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mommyo2az

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
I recently took over an Xcel Silver group, and am working quickly to get them up to where they need to be. I am having trouble with coming up with possible tumbling passes for a few up them. This group of girls won't have a backhand spring or front handspring ready for season. I was hoping to avoid the round off rebound backward roll as a pass - and to top it off one of the girls can't do a backward roll. What other tumbling passes with flight can I realistically use? I was thinking Handstand forward roll stepout round off and cartwheel round off - but as a judge I know that these sometimes don't get connection credit! We are working hard to undo a lot of bad habits, so the skills are coming along but slowly!

Handstand forward roll step-out roundoff is a good one and it usually gets the connection credit unless they move their foot after the step out.

For the second pass, they could do JUST a roundoff OR Handstand forward roll (2 feet) dive roll or forward roll. Dive rolls aren't counted as flight, but the second connection doesn't have to have flight ... I would ONLY use the dive roll if the gymnast has a beautiful dive roll; if that isn't the case, a forward roll would work as the second skill in the pass.
Another out-of-the-box pass option for the second pass would be handstand forward roll handstand bridge kickover.

Another option (as strange as it may sound) would be a front tuck or an aerial.
I know you said they won't have a front or back handspring ready for the season ... what about a front walkover or back walkover?

Handstand forward roll step-out roundoff is a good one and it usually gets the connection credit unless they move their foot after the step out.

For the second pass, they could do JUST a roundoff OR Handstand forward roll (2 feet) dive roll or forward roll. Dive rolls aren't counted as flight, but the second connection doesn't have to have flight ... I would ONLY use the dive roll if the gymnast has a beautiful dive roll; if that isn't the case, a forward roll would work as the second skill in the pass.
Another out-of-the-box pass option for the second pass would be handstand forward roll handstand bridge kickover.

Another option (as strange as it may sound) would be a front tuck or an aerial.
I know you said they won't have a front or back handspring ready for the season ... what about a front walkover or back walkover?
I have few with backwalkovers that are competition ready, front walkovers are a little harder to come by (atleast the competition ready kind!). I am working front tucks with them to see how that goes and I have one that can do an aerial! We are going to have all kinds of tumbling passes!

One of my silvers used a round off connected to a split jump as her last pass. It was pretty (she had a really great split jump).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back