WAG Hey, I have a fear of vault. Any tips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’ve always hated vault. Beam is grace, floor is art, bars is flowy. Vault doesent fit in! I always stutter step and recently I had a bad accident on vault where my hand slipped. The thing is i always stutter step so I can’t get enough power. I get scared that I’ll miss the board on my hurtle. Gimme tips now I have states this weekend!!! HELP

Talk to your coaches. Believe in yourself and visualise. Try not to think about the fear, breathe. Don't tell yourself you're going to fall. Say your gonna land this one. It's all about your self-talk and the help your coach/es can give you. Practice. Figure out your problem. You'll be okay, just do your best. Remember, you can scratch if you don't feel safe competing. You can do it!!

Don't tell yourself you will fail, say you'll succeed. Your coaches can help you.

If you are messing up your steps then you may need to work on the run alone first. Once when you have your steps figured out (Where you start, how many steps you take) then start working on your vault again. You can always ask your coach to spot you if you need extra support. Best of luck!

My daughter once had a bit of an accident on vault but she says she just runs as fast as she can and pops of the springboard.

Some general advice - with such short time before the comp, I would say change your focus. The meanings and labels you are giving vault, and probably the thoughts you are having leading into the event, are only creating more nerves, pressure, and stress. Give yourself permission to enjoy vault. Come up with at least 10 things you really enjoy about vault and write them down. Use your senses - what sounds, sights, feelings can you discover that you actually enjoy about doing vault? These will give you some very specific, positive things to focus your mind on leading into the event, or even during, that will actually help you feel good. Feel good, and you are more likely to perform good.

Next, take two mins and imagine yourself performing your vault perfectly. Clearly imagine and feel what it's like to perform it the exact way you want. Do this several times between now and the comp. So much so, that it becomes almost automatic.

I hope this helps. Have fun! You've got this!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back