Parents Hi all new here 5 year old wrist problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomof2

Proud Parent
Hi all, new to the forum. My 5 year old daughter made team at 4. Due to her age she competed level 3 at 5 in fun meets and is now really working on all of her tops skills. She can do 2 really good press handstands however she does complains that her wrists hurts. Just wondering if anyone has use the wristguards on a kid this young and would it help relieve some of the wrist pain? Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Yes... but only because my daughter kept complaining (age 7 at the time) of wrist pain. One morning her wrists hurt so bad she couldn't open her yogurt- we had previously braced her for a week thinking a sprain... went to a child orthopedist and found out she had "gymnasts wrist" or a fracture on her growth plate in her wrist!!!! Can be very debilitating if not caught and treated early... 8 weeks casted and then splinted 2 weeks and slowly modified workouts until wrist was up to par. PLEASE go to an orthopedist... and if you're lucky enough to find one familiar to gymnastics then use them.

My former gymmie started having pain in one wrist while training level 7 (increased back stepouts on beam). It was managed with wrist guards and limits on back stepouts repetition- she was diagnosed tendinitis which was manageable. However, I knew something was really wrong the next summer (training level 8) when the wrist pain was in both wrists and affecting other events (bars, tumbling, etc). She was diagnosed with stress reaction, very close to developing stress fractures in the growth plates of both wrists. That's why I would encourage getting your daughter checked now- DD had weight bearing restrictions and a cast on one wrist for 6 weeks. However, if DD actually had developed stress fractures, she would've most likely been out for at least 6 months. At your daughter's age, I would be especially cautious.

We've recently had two of my dd's friends have to leave gymnastics indefinitely due to "gymanst's wrists". It's no joke. Definitely go get her checked out. I'd be concerned about the pain at that young age.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back