Hi Everyone 2.0

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey all, I just typed this out, hit submit, and found out I was logged out!! Second time is a charm I hope (lol!)

I'll start out with why I'm here. I'm a coach of 9 years that recently moved from California to Texas. New gym, new time zone! Circumstance has made it hard to stay in touch with people via phone so yay for the internet! I think that even though there's only one 'right' way to perform a skill, there's 1000 ways to teach it. A forum is a great way to learn how everyone is doing it since athletes are so individual. I also have a great interest in finding out what parents and athlete's are thinking, and the anonymity of the internet is a great way to get it honestly delivered!

A personal blurb: I've coached everything from parent-tot classes to bars and vault at compulsory levels and everything in between! I also have a background in ballet thats been utilized at a optional level. Not in an athletic sense, but I got to work with them on music selection, facial expression, a study of what they're trying to convey with the dance chosen for their routines, and choreographed warm-ups.

Thats about it, glad to be here, excited to meet people and learn new things!

(p.s. I tried to spellcheck, and my browser gave me an error message...I hope I didn't massacre the English language!)

Nice to have you on the Chalkbucket, we have lots of great coaches on the board. I hope you enjoy the time you spend here.
:)

Welcome to CB - I hope you have an easy adjustment to Texas. I have heard it is nice there. I went to Houston once for a week for work - didn't get to do much but work !!!

Hi, welcome to CB! You will have a great time here- lots of info to go around.:)

Welcome! We recently moved from Northern Calif. to Florida, so I hear you about the new time zone! And it IS difficult to keep in touch by phone across time zones! Seems like whenever I have a minute to call a friend or relative, it's either still too early there, or it's during the middle of the day there when everyone is at work/school, or it's too late here & I'm too tired to chat! That's the beauty of the interent, as you say...

Looking forward to hearing your ideas/input! :cool:

Thanks for the welcome! :) msl529, I'm glad someone feels my pain lol! I love the quote in your sig by the way!
Thanks! Anytime you need to commiserate on missing CA stuff, I'm here! I've found that contrary to what everyone says & thinks in CA, there IS life outside of that state, and you CAN live elsewhere and enjoy yourself (very Cali-centric thinking people there)! But it IS still an adjustment to move!

I love Morgan Hamm's quote also. It's a reminder to me that if/when DD leaves this sport, we can always be thankful that it gave her so many rich life-experiences!

I think that even though there's only one 'right' way to perform a skill, there's 1000 ways to teach it.

I love that - I have a feeling you must be a very good coach. Welcome to the CB :)

Welcome to the CB. Always great to have more coaches. I also agree you must have a great coaching style with the open mind that there are many ways to teach a skill. My gymmie would roll her eyes and groan about the ballet:) Even though she really doesn't like her hour of ballet/week(all pre-team and team girls do it), she will grudginly admit it has helped with her overall "look and movement"---especially on beam. Just wish her former gym had given some formal dance training.

Will look forward to your posts!

Thanks! Anytime you need to commiserate on missing CA stuff, I'm here! I've found that contrary to what everyone says & thinks in CA, there IS life outside of that state, and you CAN live elsewhere and enjoy yourself (very Cali-centric thinking people there)! But it IS still an adjustment to move!

Let the commiseration begin! I miss In and Out burgers, Tommy's chili dogs, driving down PCH in Orange County, Palos Verdes dr south, and cresting the hill at Hawthorne and seeing a a big view of the Pacific and Catalina on a clear day! Speaking of Catalina, I miss going there and offroading in golf carts (don't tell the rental company!) and drinking champagne with chambord at the Queen Mary.

Texas is good, I had to tell myself that I'm too young to be anti-change, and that Cali is just a plane ride away! There's lots of stuff to do here, and amazing gyms and coaches to learn from! If I could just have California weather I'd be happy, cause lord knows I don't miss the house prices or apartment rent!

I love Morgan Hamm's quote also. It's a reminder to me that if/when DD leaves this sport, we can always be thankful that it gave her so many rich life-experiences!

That is so true! The friends and memories she makes and all that she learns about herself in the sport will last loooong after she leaves the gym, and serve her well in future endeavors. Your DD is lucky to have parents with great perspective!

I love that - I have a feeling you must be a very good coach. Welcome to the CB :)

Thank you! I'd call that my mantra lol. It keeps me on my toes, is a great way to get to know my fellow coaches, and is the standard that keeps me from getting burnt out or frustrated. So far it's been my experience that coaches love to share their tricks, I know I do! There's always a solution if you don't fool yourself into thinking you have it all figured out!

On second thought, it's a great way to have a conversation with all but 1 coach. I met Natalya Marakova recently and I pretty much just stood there like a slack-jawed idiot lol. She coached Nelli Kim, Svetlana Boginskaya (Svetlana was my idol when I was a gymnast, so beautiful for her time!) and more recently Nastia Liukin. She was wonderful despite my obvious star-struck catatonia, and she gave me a hug once I managed to stutter a sentence!

Welcome to the CB. Always great to have more coaches. I also agree you must have a great coaching style with the open mind that there are many ways to teach a skill. My gymmie would roll her eyes and groan about the ballet:) Even though she really doesn't like her hour of ballet/week(all pre-team and team girls do it), she will grudginly admit it has helped with her overall "look and movement"---especially on beam. Just wish her former gym had given some formal dance training.

Will look forward to your posts!

Thanks for the welcome :) I was the opposite of your gymmie when I was in ballet and gymnastics, but I totally see where she's coming from. I was in ballet first for years before gymnastics, but in the end gymnastics won when I had to choose between the two! Ballerinas are very into their art, if you call one an athlete they'll get huffy and correct you. Gymnasts are the opposite, it's a sport and they're proud of it! In the end, for me, gymnastics giving the artistic outlet on floor and beam won me over because the sport is glorious, and there is a huge opportunity for expression if it's embraced. I know turnout and such is very odd in practice though so I feel her pain! She's a lucky girl for having the opportunity to both, some gyms are ballet-phobic lol. If it adds artistic beauty and deeper understanding of her sport it can only improve on the finished product of her routines :)

Whats funny is the role doctors play with both ballerinas and gymnasts...they're like 'uuuhhhh there's a difference? They come to us with the same injuries when they get hurt so who cares?!'

Let the commiseration begin! I miss In and Out burgers, Tommy's chili dogs, driving down PCH in Orange County, Palos Verdes dr south, and cresting the hill at Hawthorne and seeing a a big view of the Pacific and Catalina on a clear day! Speaking of Catalina, I miss going there and offroading in golf carts (don't tell the rental company!) and drinking champagne with chambord at the Queen Mary.

We miss 'In & Out Burgers' also, my hubby wears their shirts a lot, and we get people walking up to us here in FL saying, "Oh, I miss that place, you must be from CA!'

The areas you described in So Cal were my stomping-grounds growing up! I know what you mean about the weather there (perfect!), and all the wonderful views of the Pacific. That's probably why I like it here in S. FL., as I have the beach nearby.

But you'll enjoy Texas. I'll bet the people there are about as friendly and welcoming as they get, which is nice when you are making a big change.

Good luck to you in your new digs, job, town, etc.!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back