hi everyone!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } i'm a 17 yo high school student from finland. i started gymnastics when i was 5 yo. i had my first meet when i was 10 or 11 yo and competed a few years. here in finland gymnastics is not that big issue than in US or UK. there is just something like 15 sport clubs where competitive gymnastics is taught. our gymnastics club is very small and we don't even have a proper gym with stationary floor and bars and beam... we practice in the gym of my high school.

i started coaching when i was like 12 yo. my mum had been gymnastics coach when she was young and she started coaching again when i had been in gymnastics for a year. when i grew up i started to help her with her preschoolers once a week.
now i have my own group to coach. girls are between ages 7 and 11.

our competitive system is different than in US or UK. here in finland gymnasts start their competition career from level A1 which is not "a proper level" but it's still compulsory level for every gymnast. you have to take part in a playful exhibition meet where gymnasts can show their skills to their parents and friends. judges don't show scores, they just tell your coach pros and cons of your routine. besides that you have to accomplish bronze and silver marks. you get the mark from your coach when you are able to do required skills (like splits, cartwheels, handstands, pull ups, correct hollow and arc positions etc).

the second level is level B. you have to be 7 year old or older if you want to compete in this level. my girls are in level B. (if you want to see level B routines, click here:
bars, beam, vault, floor). level F is the hardest one but there is also an other class system with levels 2-5 for those girls who strive for international team. if you want to compete for example in level 2 you have to be 8 yo or older and you have to have bronze, silver, gold and diamond marks. diamond mark is hard to get because you have to go to tryouts where professional coaches judges your skills. diamond mark tests are as if your TOP test in US.

i love coaching and my girls are lovely! I coach them twice a week and once a week I coach some preschoolers. but competitive gymnastics coaching is stills the most important thing for me.

i'm so exited to be here!

ps: i hope you understood what i wrote (my english is not very good and i'm still learning...)

Welcome! Your English is lovely. So interesting to hear about different systems. I look forward to watching the videos you posted (sometime when I'm not at work).
When I was just out of college, I taught at an international school in Kenya and had a number of Finnish students. Some great kids! I loved that we lived on the equator, yet the Finnish ex-pats needed to have saunas in their homes! :D

Hey welcome! You have great english! That was really neat hearing all about the Finnish system of gymnastics.

I liked watching those routines. I have heard about the gymnastics system in Norway but Finland is new to me! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Your English was wonderful! Its really interesting hearing about the Finnish gymnastics system :) Welcome to chalkbucket :)

Welcome! Your English is lovely. So interesting to hear about different systems. I look forward to watching the videos you posted (sometime when I'm not at work).
When I was just out of college, I taught at an international school in Kenya and had a number of Finnish students. Some great kids! I loved that we lived on the equator, yet the Finnish ex-pats needed to have saunas in their homes! :D

thank you! the videos are quite old but you can see the idea of routines. i have videotaped my own girls too but the parents of some girls are very strict and protective and they wouldn't like it if i posted the videos to youtube or something like that.

haha, we love saunas! i don't know anyone who doesn't have a sauna in his/her house here in finland. today the weather is very gold and the temperature is 25 degrees below zero! so saunas are needed ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back