Coaches Hierarchy of coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Are some coaches seen as more superior in your gym or is everyone on common ground, regardless of the level they are coaching?
I had a great year as the level 4 coach this year with a group that I have followed for 3 years. I assumed I was to follow them into their beginning optional year next year but after a meeting with my boss last night, I might be pushed to start with the new (3/4) compulsory group. The way it works at this gym is that there is a separate coach per level, rather than event coaches. I would like an opportunity to show that I'm capable of coaching them as level 6s but I may not get that chance.
Are your optional coaches the ones with the most power? What role does the head coach/owner play and are they the same or different?

There is without a doubt a sort of hierarchy at my gym, but it's all completely unspoken and just a "common knowledge" sort of thing. It bothers me at times. Here's what I've experienced:

-The owner is also head coach. She's on top. Duh.

-Owner's mom used to be the owner and also used to coach. Doesn't do much any more but is still equally respected.

-Next coach (I'll call her coach #1) tumbled at the gym when she was younger and now coaches. She's pretty much on equal footing as the head coach/owner - they treat each other as equals and are pretty much viewed the same by the kids. This coach also has a very assertive, leader-type attitude.

-Now here's where it gets weird - coach #2 also tumbled at the gym at the same time as coach #1, but she competed while coach #1 did not. Coach 1 was also absent for a period of time for college purposes while coach 2 was there the whole time. However, for whatever reason coach 2 (at least in my view) is seen as lower in the pecking order than head coach and coach 1. She also seems to me to be treated as less of an adult than coach one, even though she is older and married with a kid. She is more laid back than coach #1 so this is probably a factor as well, but I almost feel like there is some silent disapproval going on about the fact that she got married and had a child at a fairly young age (not a teen mom or anything, but still).

-Then there's me. I tumbled at the gym for 2 years before I was hired. I was trained by coach #2 while she was on her way out due to the fact that she was about to get married. I then did a year of competitive cheer and a year of competitive T&T for the gym. Then I broke my ankle, was out for a few months, came back and coached for the summer, and then left for college. I will be coaching again this summer when I get back home. I see myself as being close but slightly lower in the pecking order than coach #2, but I am definitely treated as being much younger. There is an age gap of a few years, but before I left for school I used to feel as if I were being treated as a child, which I think is due to the fact that they'd all known me since I was 14 and I wasn't "grown up" in their minds. This has seemed to improve immensely in the limited interactions I've had with them since I've been in college.

Other than that there have been a lot of coaches that come and go, cheer coaches, coaches that only do privates and/or open gym, etc, but at this point head coach, coach 1, coach 2, and I are the ones who have been there the longest are really the "solid regulars" and are sort of on a different footing than the ones who pop in and out. There is at least one who has been there longer than I have but who doesn't coach much any more who would definitely rank above me just due to age, but he isn't in the picture much.

At our gym, there is HC... then, something started this season due to the number of girls on team, we basically have Level coaches and Other coaches. HC and 2 other Older coaches are the highest. They all work with all levels, but especially Xcel and L6+.
They are the top tier.
Then we have a coach in her 20s that is the main coach for L4. I am considered on level with her... the girls show respect for the 5 of us. The main coach for L3 is a Senior in high school. We also have other teen coaches, but they are all viewed as kids while the L3 coach is viewed as an adult. The girls GENERALLY show respect for these coaches... but it is hard for some of them when their main coach is only 5 years older than they are and they have higher level skills than the coach ever competed. She is the main coach due to her reliability and availability. She competed old L4 and Xcel Gold when she was 15 and 16. She didn't even start gymnastics until the age of 13, and was off and on at first. She is also 5'9" tall, so not a typical gymnast. She has taken trainings and can spot floor tumbling up to a back tuck.

Well we have the two owners/hc's, then there's me, where I just basically 'graze', as in I don't only coach low levels or only optionals, it depends on the day and how many kids. Don't get me wrong I'm there all the time... There's one more coach that does what I do. There is a coach specifically for floor dance and some low level coaches. We have some conditioning coaches too. We are a relatively small (but quickly growing) gym.

Well, kind of but,,,, I like for a coach to follow a team even if it's only a one or two rotations with them into optionals (7, 8). Reason being is they find out real quick why we teach certain things in lower levels and they tend to do a better job bringing the next batch up. They usually end up losing them in the end because eventually the survivors end up in the top two groups which are run by myself and Ashley. Seems like we are always looking for another bar/vault coach in 3,4,5. Don't stress it BarCoach, just keep learning. And start teaching those salders and toe shoots to the 4's and 5's, (that will get you some attention).

If you want to coach higher levels you need to prove you are worth it. Get yourself more training, attend as many coaching workshops and seminars you can to show you are keen to learn more. Attend the higher level competitions, ask to shadow the optional coaches and learn from them and make your kids as amazing as possible.

It may not happen right away but if you are actively pursuing the extra knowledge when a gap open up for a higher level coach you'll be the next in line to be considered.

BC: I see that there are lots of reasons to be assigned to be the primary JO Coach of a level or an event coach. Certainly one is choice based upon hierarchy. I see in our gym some other reasons. Some other reasons in our gym have been:
(1) Experience with an assigned level.
(2) Risk mitigation with skills at a given level.
(3) Internal client (coach) development/satisfaction.
(4) Availability of coach.
(5) Demonstratable ability to meet group goals and needs.
(6) Monies / Business - In my case, I view me( and my renumeration) as overhead and hence I can spend the big hours in the gym with little impact to business. Of course lots of hours has an opportunity cost resulting in a big impact to my personal time.;)
(7) Other respected experts told me to.:)

In my previous profession in corp.america I implemented policy that gave employees in my division the option to apply for other job positions within our enterprise after they had received exemplary reviews at their current position. It was believed that when they mastered their current assignment thoroughly they could better succeed at their next challenge. This worked well for my group. In general I like it in the gym business........This said, I suggest that any coach focus on the mission/goals assigned by the business and meet them, (on time and within given budget). You do this and you are a very valuable employee/coach.

As I re-read the above, I see that I have not answered the hierarchy question. Let me do that in a different post.

Hoping I added to the thread, SBG -

Last edited:
Are some coaches seen as more superior in your gym or is everyone on common ground, regardless of the level they are coaching? ?

The coach in charge of a level is in the manager. When a coach of another JO level is assigned to that group they report and coordinate with the groups primary coach. Our Coach's Mtg and other Staff Mtg's work on mission/goal/calender/rotation/fitness or skill readiness/and the myriad of other gym details. In the gym, respect is given to the primary coach. Clients (Parents) questions are welcome, but usually directed to the primary coach or HC.

Superior - I am not sure if you mean a that we see other coaches as better coaches. If so - YES. I know lots of coaches who are superior in ways than I am. Our gym coaches are superior in lots of ways to me. Specifically, when I teach the L4 FX dance moves the girls come away with sharp, muscular movements like a short hairy armed/legged short balding guy.:);) I see a couple of our coaches superior to me in this regard. I steal/copy and learn from the staff around me, other coaches I meet.

By knowing our weaknesses as coaches, we know what to improve. On the converse, if you do not recognize your weakness it is difficult to be a learning coach.

BC, I hope my reply assists the conversation.

SBG -

Thanks everyone. With the support of our extremely influential 9/10 coach I think I am going to be allowed to keep my group for one more year. I have big plans for this year to prove I can do it!
Just take your time and teaching the kids new skills. Nothing drives me crazirr when a coach is trying to teach someone a skill and they skip all the basics and fundamentals of that skill. In other words show them that you have the goods without showing the goods too quickly,

At our gym, there is HC... then, something started this season due to the number of girls on team, we basically have Level coaches and Other coaches. HC and 2 other Older coaches are the highest. They all work with all levels, but especially Xcel and L6+.
They are the top tier.
Then we have a coach in her 20s that is the main coach for L4. I am considered on level with her... the girls show respect for the 5 of us. The main coach for L3 is a Senior in high school. We also have other teen coaches, but they are all viewed as kids while the L3 coach is viewed as an adult. The girls GENERALLY show respect for these coaches... but it is hard for some of them when their main coach is only 5 years older than they are and they have higher level skills than the coach ever competed. She is the main coach due to her reliability and availability. She competed old L4 and Xcel Gold when she was 15 and 16. She didn't even start gymnastics until the age of 13, and was off and on at first. She is also 5'9" tall, so not a typical gymnast. She has taken trainings and can spot floor tumbling up to a back tuck.

Why aren't you the level 3 coach? Or do you teach classes?

I do not have a license and am dependent on being able to get to the gym... since I live a half hour away and my gymmies don't always go, I can't always get there. Plus (currently) I have a rotator cuff issue - physical therapy, trying to avoid surgery... so I can't spot ANYTHING :(
The L3 main coach lives 6 minutes from the gym AND has a license.
When I am at the gym, I do whatever I can... which includes working with all the levels (watching skills, drills, and routines... giving corrections... recording so they can SEE what they are doing... watching more).

Thanks SBG for both your posts. I asked about superiority because I'm feeling like it doesn't matter what I say, our owner will only listen to what our 9/10 coach says and will do whatever she suggests, even though it doesn't really concern her at all. I do understand now the reason for having good (separate) compulsory coaches. It just isn't a role I saw myself in. But I'm starting to consider it and thinking I might like it. We have a coaches meeting Friday (a first in the 3 years I've been here) to hash it all out. Looking forward til it's over when I know what I will be doing next year, good or bad.

Will not go too fast, coachp. We have been upgrading all year though so I expect some new skills will come quickly.

We have - head coaches, team coaches, adult coaches then all us teenage coaches :( we are the bottom of the food chain even if that adult coach started yesterday...

BarCoach, I feel your pain. I went from running my own small program so well that we outgrew our more recreational-focused gym within 2 years. I transfered myself and some of those kids to a very acclaimed gym, but now i'm seen as the low man on the totem pole. Some days are good and some days are highly frustrating. Our structure doesn't have specific level coaches OR event coaches. You're bounced around a lot and that is coupled with a lack of trust due to old coaches (now gone) who didnt coach the lower level kids to where they needed to be. I keep trying to "prove" myself, yet am rarely given the opportunity to coach much more than a cartwheel. I try to have the attitude that I'll make those the best dang cartwheels then, but some days I feel so incredibly undervalued.

Just found out tonight that I MAY be one of the middle school coaches next year. HC has a lot on her plate... YMCA Team, HS team for the local school (this was the first year of team), starting a Jr. high team for the local city school, trying to simultaneously start them at 2 of the other area schools (2 country schools, including OG's... or at least let them compete as individuals, even if not full teams the first year), and running the rec program. She has plenty of coaches to help with the YMCA team, but to help with HS / JHS, you have to be a licensed teacher or at least have a State Coaching Permit and be a USAG Professional Member. She has 1 parent / coach that has volunteered to help since her daughter will be on the team. She is looking to ask another one and she asked me tonight. Since I will have my teaching license, it will work well. An additional $65 for one required course, and I will have all I need.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back