Parents High Quality Non-Residential Summer Gymnastics Camps/Clinics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JPC13

Proud Parent
Greetings All,

I'm a new member here, but have lurked off and on for the past couple years in order to soak up the forum's collective wisdom. Typically, I've been able to find my answer via the search function, but no luck this time.

By way of background, my daughter (8 years old) jumped into the USAG program at a very competitive gym after spending a few years at a not so great gym. She's athletically gifted, but due to her time spent at the previous gym she's developed bad habits that have been difficult to break. In view of this, she/I/her mom are thinking that spending some time at an intensive summer program might be a good idea.

Something like Woodward would be the obvious choice - however, my daughter is homeschooled and we're not comfortable with sending her to sleep away camp. The internet suggests that IGC has a day camp -- does anyone have experience? Additionally, are there any other Woodward equivalent day programs? We're located in NY state, but not averse to traveling to the right place.

Thanks a lot!

My first thought would be to see if any of the college teams in your radius have a gymnastics camp. You could stay at a hotel if it is not within travel distance if your home. We are in NC and NC state does have a day option that many of the younger girls utilize.

Just want to add that my dd went to Woodward a few times starting at 10 yr old with her team and loved it! She was homeschooled and very shy Now, there is a big difference b/t 8 and 10 and also going alone vs with team members but if your dd is eager to try, you might want to consider. Dd coaches there now for several weeks each summer

My first thought would be to see if any of the college teams in your radius have a gymnastics camp. You could stay at a hotel if it is not within travel distance if your home. We are in NC and NC state does have a day option that many of the younger girls utilize.

Just want to add that my dd went to Woodward a few times starting at 10 yr old with her team and loved it! She was homeschooled and very shy Now, there is a big difference b/t 8 and 10 and also going alone vs with team members but if your dd is eager to try, you might want to consider. Dd coaches there now for several weeks each summer

Thanks for the insights. That’s a good point about local universities. I’m a UM (Michigan) grad so know tons of people in Ann Arbor, they have a great women’s program, and do seem to have a day camp. I suppose we could always hop a short flight into Detroit.

Another big reason why I’m uncomfortable with sleep away camp (besides my daughter never even have done a sleep over with friends at home) is the food — my daughter legitimately can’t eat gluten, which is used in an incredible amount of hard to identify things. It would be a total bummer to travel all that way and then get sick because someone fed her oatmeal with oats from a cross contaminated factory.

Unrelatedly, how’s the gym scene in NC? I almost accepted a job at Wake Forest and often wish I had. There’s a decent chance I end up there or maybe NC State in the next couple years.

I would advise against college camps, pretty much all camps, but definitely college. At least if your intention is to develop good techniques and break bad habits. If it is just for a fun experience and a break from the routine, then for sure, great time. First college camps tend to be very limited to a couple of days, with literally hundreds of tiny gymnasts running around. While the college coaches organize the program, a lot of the hands-on coaching is done either by the athletes or guest coaches. Many similar things can be said with non-college camps.
If your stated goal is to break bad habits and she is in the right gym right now, then I would just advise keeping her there, they may even have their own summer camp. She would be working with coaches she is familiar with, and the coaches know her. I just don't find camps productive at solidly teaching new skills/techniques in a couple of days with unfamiliar coaches, even if they are well-known names. But again, if looking for a fun summer activity, plenty of good camps.

OK, so my bad - I didn't read the OP thoroughly enough to see they are trying to fix bad habits. The others are correct. I would not send my gymnast to a camp for this. Camp is all about fun, trying new skills, working with different coaches who may have a different technique to help a skill along but it is not about correcting bad habits. In fact, they can often create some, though for only a few days it's usually not a big deal.

Personally, I would ask the coaches how they feel about camps, whether they have one in-house, and if not, if there are any the recommend specifically for what you are seeking (I am guessing no). Some gyms will go as a team to a specific camp, where theeir own coaches will work so it's the best of both worlds - your own coaches at a fun camp, possibly with equipment you don't have at your gym. But really, at 8yrs old, the camps should just be for fun.

Unrelatedly, how’s the gym scene in NC? I almost accepted a job at Wake Forest and often wish I had. There’s a decent chance I end up there or maybe NC State in the next couple years.

As for NC, yes they have several great programs around the state, with a few proven ones for developing college bound athletes in the Raleigh area, where you would be. There's only one elite program that I am aware of but it's closer to the Charlotte area. There are several CB members who are familiar with NC, so if the time comes, just again and you will should get some feedback through a DM. CB also has a new anonymous section for posting where people might feel more comfortable replying that way.

As for NC, yes they have several great programs around the state, with a few proven ones for developing college bound athletes in the Raleigh area, where you would be. There's only one elite program that I am aware of but it's closer to the Charlotte area. There are several CB members who are familiar with NC, so if the time comes, just again and you will should get some feedback through a DM. CB also has a new anonymous section for posting where people might feel more comfortable replying that way.
I don't know anything about camps, but I agree with @gymgal that NC is a pretty strong gymnastics state. I'm in the Raleigh area so if you ever need more info about this area, let me know. And gymgal is right that there is no elite gyms around here, but there are definitely some that are geared towards college prep. By Wake Forest, I'm guessing you mean the university not the town? If so there are definitely options near there too although I'm not sure what Winston-Salem itself has. But it's not too far from some of the Charlotte gyms and there are some others close by too.

My daughter has gone to IGC and enjoys it. The day camp option is basically the same as overnight but your child will leave at “the of the day” each day. The folks in the office are great and I would recommend going for a tour to see the place and ask questions.

Hope it works out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back