Parents High School and gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

momofagymmie

I have a daughter who loves being on her club gymnastics team. She is now looking at high schools. Our club has an early start to their training, it's about a 1/2 hour earlier than the full day at most schools. A lot of the high schools (private, parochial and public) are giving us negative feedback to the idea of having her leave school early for another sport that their school doesn't offer. Has anyone had this experience? At the moment my daughter is very serious about continuing at the club level. I just don't want to tell her she has to quit to go to high school after putting in 7 years and advancing so far. What have parents of high schoolers done? She's a great student too!

When girls at our club have had this problem, and we have had a few. They just arrive half an hour later and they warm up either by themselves or a junior coach will do a warm up with them. Has always worked weel, we have kids come from many different schools, some arrive up to an hour late, it all works out well if you have flexible coaches.

School comes first, but don't worry: any coach who's worth anything will understand that. I'm sure if you talk to the coaches, they'll be happy to work with you on this.

School always comes first. My problem is with schools that still insist she stay the full last period when that period is PE or a study hall or health. I just don't get why they get so sticky about that kind of class time.

Does you high school have an "athletic PE" program? Where all this kids on the teams have last period PE allowing them to start practice early? OUr school does and this is what gymbabi has, allowing her to leave an hour early so we can get to practice on time. The school will send out a survey to her coach allowing her to be graded on her gym time. They wouldn't let us do it her sophomore year because they claimed state law mandated that all 9th graders must have regular PE. They lied though because there were several 9 grade kids on the swim team that had athletic PE. We decided not to make an issue of it and our coach was understanding.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back