Off Topic high school classes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

loveforgym

So it's the time of the year where we are picking classes for 9th grade. I decided to have 6 credits leaving me two study halls all year. But i don't know if i should take another class so i have one study hall because two might be too much. So do any high schoolers know if two study halls would be useful or too much? (also i want to do high school gymnastics and dance so i might be busy out of school)

Having two study halls in your schedule? I would say too many. I didn't have any study halls this year, and was fine. I'd say if you REALLY want one, have one. But for the other study, try to pick a course you're interested in taking. Two study halls seems a little overkill.

I agree with gymnastbeth 2 is wayyyyyyy to many, i would have loves that since i had calculus and all ap classes but i didnt have one and have been able to go to gymnastics every night from 3-8 or 9 :) :) but having one is not a bad idea! i am doing that next year!

I've heard study halls are really janky. You just need to learn how to manage your time well! Maybe I'm not the best example, but I do my math homework before school (school starts at 7:10 because I have to take P.E.) and in chemistry, then my chemistry homework in math class. I pay attention in English and do my English or history reading during biology. I do my biology reading on the week-ends. Then in history I pay attention, and I do my history homework in choir. I do my French homework in French class or finish my history homework, leaving me the time after gym to post this! Keep in mind most of these classes are honors. :-]

It helps to do all of this if you sit in the back of the room so the teacher can't yell at you for not paying attention, and you still have to do some stuff after practice, and really have to study for tests.

Geez mack seems like your a great multitasker! lol, i do that too, but i usually end up finishing my last bit of homework a few seconds before its do, i call this the OPD or Obsessive Procrastionation Disorder and, trust me, at some point in every teenager's life you will be up at 3 am trying to finish a history project that you had a month to do, whatcha gunna do?

But anyway, im a freshman this year and have learned even if you have an off period (most freshman dont i have off campus p.e. for gymnastics :D) but even with that extra hour i find myself enjoying a simple relaxation hour instead of homework. Thats OPD for ya.

I've heard study halls are really janky. You just need to learn how to manage your time well! Maybe I'm not the best example, but I do my math homework before school (school starts at 7:10 because I have to take P.E.) and in chemistry, then my chemistry homework in math class. I pay attention in English and do my English or history reading during biology. I do my biology reading on the week-ends. Then in history I pay attention, and I do my history homework in choir. I do my French homework in French class or finish my history homework, leaving me the time after gym to post this! Keep in mind most of these classes are honors. :-]

It helps to do all of this if you sit in the back of the room so the teacher can't yell at you for not paying attention, and you still have to do some stuff after practice, and really have to study for tests.

LOL mack. That sounds just like me. It almost makes it sound like I don't do well in school but, I do great! This year I don't think I've done anything besides projects and studying at home... All honors except French! (That darn foreign language part of my brain just doesn't cooperate)

LOL mack. That sounds just like me. It almost makes it sound like I don't do well in school but, I do great! This year I don't think I've done anything besides projects and studying at home... All honors except French! (That darn foreign language part of my brain just doesn't cooperate)

Yeah, I've got all honors except French, too! Except it's more my-school-doesn't-offer-honors-French...I'm pretty good at French and I've got a good ear for accents. I WISH my school would let me out of P.E. though! I should be doing my history homework now...

I like that OPD thing! It seems like the more time I have to do a project, the less gets done...did I mention I'm supposed to be doing my history reading? I am. Bye.

I have 1 or 2 free periods/study halls a day at my private school; it was just how my schedule worked out. I use the frees to do homework, study, or practice the piano (they have 3 pianos sitting around the school), so the time is generally put to good use and I can get a head start on my hw before gym. If you really use your study halls, they can help give you more time to do gym. I, however, did not have the option of taking any electives to fill the frees, so if you want to take an elective, by all means try it.

I generally do all assignments ahead of time so I can relax on gym days, and I try to complete any small assignments during the first free I have after that class.

I also think 2 study halls is too much; if you want to go to college they will want to see more than the minimum number of credits (which I think is 24; 6 a year) and that you took some interesting courses.

Keep in mind different schools gague credits differently...if you need 24 credits to graduate, that's probably 1 credit per class per year with 6 periods. At my school it's five credits per trimester per year with 7 periods...so the amount required to graduate is 310. See the difference?

Mack, my school is similar to yours, except with quarters/semesters. We need something like 300 odd credits to graduate, but there is a ridiculous in school PE requirement.

Here's what my sheet says:

GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
English 4 .0 credits
Social Studies 3.0 credits
Science 2.5 credits
Math 2.0 credits
Physical Education 1.5 credits (Must be taken over three years)
Health .5 credit
Computer .5 credit
Non-spec. electives 8.5 electives
Total Credit for Grad 22.5

so i'm doing gym in the summer to get that away, a health, Spanish 1, child development, and the basic core classes. I think i'm going to add in a computer class to get that over with & another elective (equally 1) so i would only have 1 study hall all year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back