Coaches High School Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I'm a 37 year old mom of 1 little girl who is about to be 2. I have been doing gymnastics since I was little, and I competed high school gymnastics back in the 80's. Now I am a stay-at-home-mom for 8 months of the year, and coach high school gymnastics at the same high school with the same coach that coached me. It's awesome and fun. I was away from the gym for about 15 years, but never stopped doing it at home. It is so good to be back and learn all the new skills, etc. We didn't have so many clubs way back when, and the whole "level" thing is new to mebut I like it. (The head coach has a small club that does some competition and has a nice level of gymnast feedback into the high school program. Gymnasts at levels 9 or 10 usually stay away from competing for the high school team in hopes of receiving scholarships through club.) I am one of three coaches there, and am in charge of the jv team. It is very challenging as some of the girls that come out for the team have never done gymnastics before. We don't have cuts and currently have 20 girls on the jv/varsity combined. For many years our school has led the conference but we seem to be in a bit of a rut as far as talent goes. It is still great and we still have several girls that will be returning next year at about level 8's (3 level 8's and a couple level 7's). High school gymnastics is a whole different dynamic than club. I have so much to learn and I can't get enough sometimes, even though my #1 priority is still my daughter. Well, sorry if this is so long, I just am happy to have a place to go to talk about gymnastics. I love it! And I really want to learn more as a coach so that eventually I can be a varsity coach. At this level I am teaching girls to master skills up to level 7-ish. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. It is very challenging to train a team for competition when the levels between gymnasts are so different from each other.

Yes...the different levels would make it very hard. Consider yourself lucky...most of the high schools by us dumped gymnastics along time ago.:mad:

Unfortunately this is sooo true JBS. Most of the schools around here have combined teams. I'm pretty sure in our sectional there were only two teams that were not made up of at least three schools.

Its sad to see schools get rid of gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back