High School

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Most of this is just venting, just to let you know...

I'm finishing up 8th grade, and they just handed out our course request sheets. I, of course, am personally very freaked out. There are so many requirements! I just learned about the a-g requirements, that you need 230 credits, and what maths I should join... It's all rather confusing. I was kind of hoping to rely on gymnastics to get into a good college, but it sounds like I'm going to have to try harder than that!

I'm going into Algebra 2 next year, but most of my friends are going into Algebra 2/Trig. I don't think that'd be right for me, considering that 3 hours of my day are gone right after school, and homework isn't the most consistent thing for me.

Science seems like a problem, because you need to satisfy the requirements of at least one year of both Life AND Physical science. You need at least a B in both Math and Science in 8th grade to get into Biology (takes care of Life Science), but I flubbed up the last semester, causing a C+ on my grade D:

English seems okay, there's just so many AP/Honors classes! And what's the difference???

I'm confused about history. You need to take many different types of History, but I don't know if you need to take the in order or if you can just jump around...

And all the electives... I don't even know where to begin! Also, do you have to take PE in 11th and 12th grade???

*sigh* These next 4 years are going to be rough :p I'm just hoping that I can get into a really good college and be able to do college gymnastics.

-Lauren

230? I sure hope that's a typo and it's really 23 credits. I'm a senior and had 19 or 20 credits coming into this year so I'll end with 27 or so. As far as AP vs Honors, in my state, honors classes have three extra points added to the grade while AP have five. AP classes can get you college credit depending on your exam grade and college, but they aren't necessary. Generally your classes are pretty clear cut since you have to take certain classes before others.

In GA, we need four maths, three sciences(bio and a physical science required), US and world history plus civics and econ for a total of three SS credits, four lit classes(American lit required but any other combination of lits, most honors students do H.9th, H.American, H.Brit Lit, and either an AP or humanities). We also have to have health and personal fitness which are generally knocked out freshman year. Then we need two years of a foreign language(only college track though) and a year of a fine art. All other classes count as electives and there are plenty of those and plenty of time for them.

However, the requirements vary by state, so for more specific help I'd say ask your counselors. There really is no need to stress. Freshmen pretty much all get the same classes and if something is messed up on your schedule your consular will fix it.

[EDIT]

Your info says you are in California so I looked up the grad requirements here: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/hs/hsgrtable.asp. Maybe it'll be helpful?

Last edited:
Firstly, talk to your counselor when you meet them about your concerns. They are all valid, and while it only seems that it is incredibly overwhelming - people have been going to school far longer than you have been alive, and have all made it out mostly intact. :)

Take it one step at a time - math is math, history is history... take them all in stride, and enjoy the learning process.

As for Honors/AP - Honors helps your grade weight in high shcool. It's nice to say you took honors. Some of the content is more "difficult" than typical classes, or slightly accelerated (meaning you get further into the books you read/work out of, or more "skills" are worked on... this of regular as level 9, Honors as level 10.. and well.. AP is "elite."

The fun part of AP, though, is that you get to take a "fun" test in which you can earn college credit. They are very worth while if you can do it, but they are difficult if you dont have a lot of study skills or have trouble focusing.

You will be fine. Keep gymnastics as an option, but dont rely on it. College gymnastics is very different than your club life, and a lot more competitive - especially since for some, money is riding on the line.

Wow, sounds complicated. All you have to do when you start high school in AUstralia is show up and get handed your timetable, no prerequisites or anything.

Take the advice of a current college freshman- take as many AP classes as you can. You will love the college credit later even if you have more homework in high school. I can guarantee that it's way easier than taking the same class in college.

You should talk to a school official, like a counselor or a good teacher! If you're so confused, you won't be able to plan out your high school years very well. The school official should give you advice on what classes you should take, both difficulty-wise and requirement-satisfying-wise. Don't feel any pressure to take honors/AP English or other honors/AP classes - if you're doing OK in regular English, that is probably enough of a challenge for you. If you're doing great in English and feel ready to take on a challenge, then honors English is a good idea. (AP classes are equal to a first-year college course in that subject, and you can take a test at the end of the year to get college credit if you pass the exam...I wouldn't do one as a freshman until you get your feet under you in the high school world.)

As for what you say about homework being inconsistent, that is something you 've gotta change for high school! No one gets anywhere by blowing off homework, even if you get back from practice at 8:30 and stay up till 11 working. Use all of your free time to do homework - I'm in choir as a soprano, so I do five math problems when the altos are singing, and my history teacher is really long-winded (about football, the weather, and anything except history) so I do my homework under the desk while he's chatting. I have a half hour for lunch, so I do homework and eat at the same time, if I can.

Don't worry about credits. Your school counselor should help you with that, and if you have a fairly full schedule, you're probably getting enough credits. 230 credits sounds right to me...I think my school requires 250. If this helps, this is what I took freshman year (many classes are required freshman year in Iowa):
-Math: Geometery Honors (in my school system this is one year ahead of the standard)
-Eng: English 9 (no opportunity for honors or other classes, though I wished I could've been in an advanced class)
-Sci: Biology (one year ahead of standard)
-History: American History II (required class...no honors or alternates...I told you about my teacher D:< he's a butthead)
-Full-year electives: French I and choir
-1/3 year electives (only last for one trimester): PE, health (required, blechh) and Black and White Drawing (fun!) and Foods I (waste of time)

I would count on doing one math, science, English, and history course per year to get a good educational background. You'll have plenty of time to get your life science + physical science requirements in. Also one course each year of a foreign language, if that's a good option for you. How many periods a day do you have? Here, we have 7, though you can come to school at 7 in the morning to do health or PE and have room for another class. I did that, and it sucked. I mostly did my math homework in health, though.

Gymnastics can't take priority over school until you've locked down your success in school. Sucks that you're in California, though. Definitely talk to a school counselor. They know which classes + how many classes you should take.

Wow, I sure wrote a novel. :eek:

Warning: This is a novel. My teacher-side gets all riled up when it comes to education. :p

Gymnastics can't take priority over school until you've locked down your success in school.

*** Gold star for you Mack. This is something that every kid needs to know, no matter what age, or what sport.:applause:

I'm finishing up 8th grade, and they just handed out our course request sheets. I, of course, am personally very freaked out. There are so many requirements! I just learned about the a-g requirements, that you need 230 credits, and what maths I should join... It's all rather confusing. I was kind of hoping to rely on gymnastics to get into a good college, but it sounds like I'm going to have to try harder than that!

I'm going into Algebra 2 next year, but most of my friends are going into Algebra 2/Trig. I don't think that'd be right for me, considering that 3 hours of my day are gone right after school, and homework isn't the most consistent thing for me.

-Lauren

First off, gymnastics won't get you into college. It can, maybe if you're lucky, help you pay for it. So the quicker you banish that idea from your head the better. Colleges are selective, and they want the best and brightest they can get. Do athletics help? Without a doubt. If you were a 6'4" 225lb superstar quarterback, then even more likely. However, you are a gymnast, and when schools look to cut programs, that is one of the first that goes. Every year there seems to be fewer and fewer programs to choose from, meaning fewer and fewer spots for upcoming gymnasts. Focus on your academics. If you have a stellar GPA while taking high-level courses AND are a great gymnast, then you have a much better chance of being accepted at your top choice colleges--and perhaps earn an academic scholarship, which is probably more realistic than a gymnastics one. If you happen to get a gymnastics scholarship, then that's just icing on the cake!

Just a thought on the gymnastics too... There are many, many things that go into being a top gymnast, including things you can't control, like injury. My sister was a late starter but moved up quickly. At 13 she was state champ @ level 5, scored out level 6, had all her level 7 and 8 skills, absolutely no fear, and a work ethic like I've never seen before or since. While at practice one day, she landed funny and blew out her ACL, MCL and tore cartilage. All done. Never competed again.

homework isn't the most consistent thing for me.

-Lauren

The teacher in me can't let this go.

Seriously? Then perhaps you're spending too much time at the gym. Academics come first. Do you think maybe your subpar grades are because you aren't practicing the skills you need to progress in the subject?? Figure out a way to do it. Here's another thought for you: One day, in just a few very short years, you are going to need teacher recommendations for college applications. Think about what you want your teachers to write about you, or if you're going to be able to confidently ask them to write you one. "So Mr. Smith, I know that I haven't always done my work because of my practices, and I didn't always study for my tests, but could you write me a recommendation?" Eek.:rolleyes:

As far as the rest, talk to your guidance counselor. They should be able to answer any question you have about course selection, credits, etc. Good luck!

First off, gymnastics won't get you into college.

Just a thought on the gymnastics too... There are many, many things that go into being a top gymnast, including things you can't control, like injury. My sister was a late starter but moved up quickly. At 13 she was state champ @ level 5, scored out level 6, had all her level 7 and 8 skills, absolutely no fear, and a work ethic like I've never seen before or since. While at practice one day, she landed funny and blew out her ACL, MCL and tore cartilage. All done. Never competed again.

The teacher in me can't let this go.

Seriously? Then perhaps you're spending too much time at the gym. Academics come first. Do you think maybe your subpar grades are because you aren't practicing the skills you need to progress in the subject?? Figure out a way to do it. Here's another thought for you: One day, in just a few very short years, you are going to need teacher recommendations for college applications. Think about what you want your teachers to write about you, or if you're going to be able to confidently ask them to write you one. "So Mr. Smith, I know that I haven't always done my work because of my practices, and I didn't always study for my tests, but could you write me a recommendation?" Eek.:rolleyes:

For the gymnastics won't get you into college, I wouldn't neccesarily say that is 100% true. There is a level 10 gymnast at my gym, she's a good level 10, but doesn't have the highest bar or beam difficulty. But she has a really good vault and floor difficulty. She is going into college this year and has already gotten scholarships to Alabama, UC LA, and I'm pretty sure that Berkley has come to our gym quite a few times to look at her. But she also has straight A's and many AP/Honors courses.

Secondly, I am very aware that injuries can change everything. However, I have never had an actual gymnastics injury. The worst I've ever done is a slightly hyper-extended knee or a bruised foot. Nothing else. The one time I broke my toe was by tripping over a rug :p. And my coaches practice lots of caution, and I feel very safe. Also, my coaches are spotting believers, and don't really just let us "go for things" by ourselves very often. Trust me, I've tried.

I understand that it seems ironic that my worst part is homework, right? That should be making my grades go up, right? Well, think again. My 8th grade year has been no walk in the park for me. I've pretty much been competing since June of '09, my parents just separated and moved apart from each other, and I switched back to this school I'm in after it already started. My gym literally starts about 30 min. after my school ends, so I have NO time for homework, and when i get back, I only have about an hour or two for homework which isn't nearly enough! My teachers have no regard for the fact that some of us actually aren't allowed to stay up late, even to do our homework. Also, last year I had great grades! I had straight A's for the whole year, most of them A+'s. And this year, I still have passing grades (3 A's, 4 B's). I just would really like to get back to my straight A's I got so easily last year. And the thing is, I usually do my homework. My schedule is just so messed up between my parents that I've left my homework/assignments at the wrong house before because I thought that I'd be going over there that day. Sorry about that. I do understand your reasoning, it's a very dumb way to "help" my grades. I've been working on it. And I don't think that I could talk to, say my math teacher, in four or so years and ask for a recommendation!

*sigh*

-Lauren

For the gymnastics won't get you into college, I wouldn't neccesarily say that is 100% true. There is a level 10 gymnast at my gym, she's a good level 10, but doesn't have the highest bar or beam difficulty. But she has a really good vault and floor difficulty. She is going into college this year and has already gotten scholarships to Alabama, UC LA, and I'm pretty sure that Berkley has come to our gym quite a few times to look at her. But she also has straight A's and many AP/Honors courses.

This is what's getting her into college. If your grades aren't good enough, the college admissions officers won't let you in. The college itself, not the athletics program, determines whether or not you get to go there.

Secondly, I am very aware that injuries can change everything. However, I have never had an actual gymnastics injury. The worst I've ever done is a slightly hyper-extended knee or a bruised foot. Nothing else. The one time I broke my toe was by tripping over a rug :p. And my coaches practice lots of caution, and I feel very safe. Also, my coaches are spotting believers, and don't really just let us "go for things" by ourselves very often. Trust me, I've tried.

And I hope that is always the case. She had never been injured either. She was doing a cast handstand on the low bar and landed just right. I just want you to think about all possibilities, worst case scenario---what would happen if you did? Do you have a backup plan? Would your grades be good enough to get you into college if this happened?

I understand that it seems ironic that my worst part is homework, right? That should be making my grades go up, right? Well, think again. My 8th grade year has been no walk in the park for me. I've pretty much been competing since June of '09, my parents just separated and moved apart from each other, and I switched back to this school I'm in after it already started. My gym literally starts about 30 min. after my school ends, so I have NO time for homework, and when i get back, I only have about an hour or two for homework which isn't nearly enough! My teachers have no regard for the fact that some of us actually aren't allowed to stay up late, even to do our homework. Also, last year I had great grades! I had straight A's for the whole year, most of them A+'s. And this year, I still have passing grades (3 A's, 4 B's). I just would really like to get back to my straight A's I got so easily last year. And the thing is, I usually do my homework. My schedule is just so messed up between my parents that I've left my homework/assignments at the wrong house before because I thought that I'd be going over there that day. Sorry about that. I do understand your reasoning, it's a very dumb way to "help" my grades. I've been working on it. And I don't think that I could talk to, say my math teacher, in four or so years and ask for a recommendation!

*No, your teachers probably don't worry about whether or not you can stay up late. Their job is to prepare you for high school, and in high school they'll be preparing you for college. Its your job, as a responsible student, to figure out a way to fit in everything. Time management. I know there was a parent on here that mentioned that they were able to get their child's assignments for the week all at once to be able to spread it out evenly. You could ask your teachers for the next week's work on Friday and spend the weekend doing it.

*Take everything with you. All the time. Simple as that.

*When I mentioned recommendations, I was thinking of your future high school teachers. School is not about to get any easier, and the workload only gets heavier. Of course, your gym schedule isn't going to lighten up either. The next four years of your life are about getting you ready for college and the real world. Start forming good habits now, so that in three years, when you are looking for recommendations, you aren't worried about who you're going to get one from.

***I hope this is not coming across as too harsh, it is not meant to be. I just want to give you several angles to consider. There is nothing more important than your education. I have never met anyone who said, "I wish I didn't have that college degree." But I know many who wish they did. Develop good habits and attitudes now, and the rest will fall into place. I wish you all the best.

I am in 9th grade right now, my first year of high school. I was worried about all of this too, but it is easier that I thought! The main thing with me was just not to get behind. If you keep up with all of your school work, pay attention in class, do your homework, and study, you will be fine! You will probably regret it if you don't. If you don't think you can handle a class, don't take it. But on the other hand, you never know unless you try! At my school, you can't even take AP classes your freshman year, so I don't really know about that. But honors classes are just like regular ones, only the quizes and tests are a little harder and it takes a bit more work. But you also get an extra point on your GPA for honors and AP classes, so take that into consideration! It will help a lot!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back