Parents Higher Level Optionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are starting to notice that several gymnasts are quitting gymnastics after level 8. Different reasons though - injuries, skills are just too hard, tired of the level of commitment that gymnastics takes, etc. Are you seeing a similar trend at your gym?

This is very common across the nation once you get to upper optionals. The level stats from USAG have shown this for years. Only roughly 10% of those who start in level 3/4 (depending on when they entered) make it to L10. yes, some stay at lower levels but most leave by L8.

We are starting to notice that several gymnasts are quitting gymnastics after level 8. Different reasons though - injuries, skills are just too hard, tired of the level of commitment that gymnastics takes, etc. Are you seeing a similar trend at your gym?
So normal. No one from my daughter's training group, level 2 or level 3 teams are still in the sport. We lost a lot around level 4/5, added some and then a lot again around level 8. In fact, I just checked and only 4 out of 12 of my daughter's level 8 team are still in the sport 2 years later. But her team has picked up a lot of girls from other teams so her level 9 and 10 teams were still quite large.

If you take a look at mymeetscores, you can see that L8 is the last for MANY kids.

I'm not sure about other gyms, but our gym starts elite qualifiers at L9, some girls just don't want that level of commitment.

One of the coaches also mentioned that it's usually right at middle school as well and so gym and school are both getting harder, this is also when school activities are starting to ramp up, so they may be ready to try something new.

So it seems normal to me!!

Yep.
Lots of reasons why, but the #1 reason that I have seen across the board is that by the time *most* kids get to level 8, they are in middle school. My DD started competing level 2 in Kindergarten and did XCEL Silver, L3, XCEL Gold, L6, L7, and L8 starting in 6th grade. She didn’t get a full season of 8 in due to injury, so she is going to repeat but has also talked about doing XCEL Diamond instead so that she can cheer and do track.

So, anyone who started competing later or had to repeat levels (many gyms in my area require 2 seasons of L4) are right in the middle of growth spurts, hormone changes, and opportunities for school sponsored sports, groups, and activities. Lots opt to not advance due to the commitment required for upper levels. Some gyms don’t have the equipment, setup, or coaching staff to properly train above L8.
Some prefer to stop competing after middle school and do high school gymnastics. My DD1 only has 2 or 3 others on her team, we have no L9 or 10 and that’s solely because most have quit to do school sports and excel in sports such as cross country, track and field, and cheer.

We also noticed this but noticed quitting more as related to age/grade. Age 11-12 and the start of middle school seemed to be a big point of quitting at our gym...often it correlated with level 8 though.

I find 12-14 is the prime age for dropping out. Puberty, growth spurts, high school, social media, friends putting other pressures on, life.

My dd was 12 and just finished L7 when she considered quitting. She found a new gym with a low hours/flexible Xcel program that was perfect for her so she is still competing. The stress of higher level skills and a big jump in practice hours, combined with injuries and missing out on activities with friends were the main reasons for her decision.

Our gym seems to lose girls between L6-L8 and/or freshman year of high school. Of the 12 girls on my daughter's L6 team, there are only 2 left.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back