MAG Highest score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Just got an email from my DD who is working on her gymnastics project. She wants to know what the highest score is in USAG men's gymnastics. Like for women it's 10 per event. What about for men? TIA!

Oh dear.

<Deep breath> For L4, it's an 11.7 on all events but vault, where it's a 10.5. For L5-L6, 12.2 on all events but vault, where it's a 10.7 (though I have never seen higher than a 10.3, FWIW.) L7 the max goes up to 12.7 on everything but vault, where the max score is a 13 for a Yama****a with a half twist. Once we get to optionals, I'm lost, because it becomes a D score plus an E score, and beyond that there is a stick bonus and an execution bonus. Really good L9s and L10s can accumulate 80+ AAs. Maybe one of the really smart optional parents or coaches can enlighten us all.

If that doesn't confuse her enough, you can tell her that two years ago, the point scale for compulsories was totally different.

Well, it isn't that simple with the men..LOL! It truly depends on the level. So at level 5 and 6: base score is 10, wtih all bonuses it is 12.2 max. vautl is 10.7 .
Level 7: base score is 10, with all bonuses it is 12.7, vault's highest is like a 13.
Levels 8-10: base score is 10, but they can score much higher. not sure how it works at those levels yet, but I know scores in the 13-high 15s are not uncommon.

Men's scores are more complicated. For compulsories there is a base score, plus possible bonuses and virtuosity, leading to the possible scores per level mentioned above.

Like for women it's 10 per event.
It's not limited to 10 for women's elite either.

If she looks on the USAG website she can download the 2012-16 men's program manual to get more information on men's scoring per level.

The compulsory levels have been explained well already so I'll just comment on the optionals.

So, optionals (8-10) have a scoring system made of 2 parts; execution, and difficulty. The execution, or 'E' score, starts at 10.0, and deductions are taken from that. This is where all the usual form deductions, falls, etc are taken.

Then we have difficulty or 'D' score, which is where things get complicated. I doubt you'll want to hear an in depth review of how it works so I'll try and keep it brief! Basically, every skill has a point value. You add up the values for the top ten skills (8 skills for level 8's and 9's) and that's part of your D score. The other part of the D score is the requirements. Every routine on every event has to fulfill certain requirements, for example on floor you have to flip forwards, backwards, do a press, etc. for every requirement you fulfill, .5 is added to your D score. Level 8's have 3 requirements and 9/10 have 5. So, you add up the value of your top skills, then add that to the value you get from fulfilling the requirements and that becomes your D score. This score stays constant (well, most of the time, but we won't get into that!)

So, you add the D score to the E score, and you get your start value, or max score for that particular routine. Deductions are taken (From the E score) to come up with a final score. So long story short, the maximum score will be different for every routine. Most level 10's will be scoring 13's and 14's. College and elites will be scoring 14's, 15's, and sometimes 16's.

Just got an email from my DD who is working on her gymnastics project. She wants to know what the highest score is in USAG men's gymnastics. Like for women it's 10 per event. What about for men? TIA!

in women's JO the scores are up to a 10.0. in women's college the scores are up to a 10.0. women have scored 10.0 in both JO and NCAA.

okay, now, in men's and women's FIG (Elite/Olympic) and men's NCAA there are 2 scores:

Artistic: is still based on a 10.0. if you have perfect artistry, etc; you could ostensibly score a 10.0. no one has scored a 10.0 in artistry yet. the highest i've seen is a 9.6. this is for all 3...men's FIG, women's FIG and men's NCAA.

"D" (some call it "E" score for execution) score or difficulty score: each skill they do in FIG has a value similar to JO. (it is the same for diving and trampoline along with "artistry".) so, for example, a double layout dismount off uneven bars is an "E". that has a value of .2. one of the Judges will be the "difficulty" judge. this Judge's job is too add up the value of all of the skills, ie; separate and in combination. when skills are done "in a row" they can have more value.

when they are done there will be 2 scores. after adding up all the difficulty let's say they come up with a 5.0 in value. and after deducting "artistry" mistakes let's say they come up with a 9.0. the total score will be a 14.0. and this is the score you will see on TV. they don't show the "artistry" score.

so, to answer the question. there is technically no 'ceiling' as to what the gymnast could potentially score.

if you have any further ??? ask away. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Men's scores are more complicated. For compulsories there is a base score, plus possible bonuses and virtuosity, leading to the possible scores per level mentioned above.

It's not limited to 10 for women's elite either.

no, no, no. Elite women's compulsories and men's Technical Sequence are essentially the same thing. both sides must do compulsories and pass thru in order to become "International" level competitive athletes. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
no, no, no. Elite women's compulsories and men's Technical Sequence are essentially the same thing. both sides must do compulsories and pass thru in order to become "International" level competitive athletes. :)
I think you fully did not understand what I was saying, or replying to. Did I say anything about technical sequences? What's with the rude "No, no, no?"

the others will tell you i'm not being rude. you stated that men's compulsories are more complicated. this is not true. both men's and women's compulsories each have there own set of rules, yet how they come to a final score is similar. the original poster is asking about men. compulsories is JO. "Technical Sequence" is compulsories for Elite. and there is nothing complicated about that either. both men's and women's FIG/Elite are the same in how they arrive at a score.

I have never had luck 'calculating' any score.
I tried using my financial calculator but that doesn't work either.
I will stick to accounting.

Question: I know about the JE tech sequences for the men. Is there a different set of tech sequences for the older guys?? I know they can make it to Nationals based on NCAA performance, which I assume doesn't involve any compulsories, but what about gymnasts who are not on a college team but have aged out of JO?

Artistic: is still based on a 10.0. if you have perfect artistry, etc; you could ostensibly score a 10.0. no one has scored a 10.0 in artistry yet. the highest i've seen is a 9.6. this is for all 3...men's FIG, women's FIG and men's NCAA.

"D" (some call it "E" score for execution) score or difficulty score: each skill they do in FIG has a value similar to JO. (it is the same for diving and trampoline along with "artistry".) so, for example, a double layout dismount off uneven bars is an "E". that has a value of .2. one of the Judges will be the "difficulty" judge. this Judge's job is too add up the value of all of the skills, ie; separate and in combination. when skills are done "in a row" they can have more value.

D score = Difficulty
E score = Execution (your 10.0) what you are calling artistic
just clarifying as you said some people call the difficulty score the E and that is not correct.

yes. i know. after awhile you get tired of trying to correct people. even myself. lol.

Question: I know about the JE tech sequences for the men. Is there a different set of tech sequences for the older guys??

The Technical Sequences only apply to those competing in the Junior program. (11-18 yo). Men's FIG and NCAA do not use Tech Sequences.

For Elite, let's say you hit perfect on Artistry, that's 10.0. 10 elements, all E's; that's 5.0 difficulty with 0.5 per group except on vault (though you can do 2 vaults to get a bonus score which is only worth an additional 0.2 if I remember correctly). 5 groups is 2.5. Then add connection value and bonus.

So roughly theoritically, an Elite MAG gymnast could score up to around 17.5 to 18ish except on Vault.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back