Hitting your feet / Bar judging?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, I'm currently in level 8, and it seems that the most important thing right now on bars to my coaches is whether or not we hold my feet. In their defense, my teammates and I do drag our feet a lot, but how important is the pirouette in a level 8 routine?

How big of a deduction is it to hit your feet out of a pirouette, or anything really. What is the difference in deductions between dragging your feet, hitting them very hard, skimming them, or only tapping with your toes?

Currently, whether or not I can hold my feet really depends on the day, but I have yet to hold them in a meet. The main reason I am asking this is because in the two meets I have competed, I have gotten two very different scores on my bar routines.

In the first meet I hit my feet on my pirouette, but continued the routine without any big errors. My cast and clear hip (which I have on the low bar) was slight above/at horizontal, but I got my 10.0 SV in the end. I got an 8.35 on this routine.

In my second meet I also hit my feet out of my pirouette, but this time I did a cast to handstand before my clear hip. Again I got my 10.0 SV, but this time I got a 7.65.

To be honest, I do have my legs apart in my giants and I sometimes bend my knees or flex my toes, but I've never really considered it anything massive. I have videos to both routines, but the quality/angle isn't great.

Why would judges give me such drastically different scores?

Sorry to bunch these together, but I have a slight feeling that my pirouette might have something to do with it (the low bar was higher at the first meet). Anyways, anything about either topics is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Our coaches tell my dd that hitting your feet after your pirouette (or clear hip) is like a fall. They also say that if you don't turn in the handstand, they might not give you any credit for the pirouette.

I'll try and address as many of your questions as I can:
The deductions are:
Touch/Brush on Apparatus or Mat - Up to .1
HIT foot on Mat - Flat .3
Land on mat - Flat .5 (fall)

So, it varies by the degree you touch the mat. If we believe your full weight was supported by your legs on the mat, it is a .5 deduction. If you slam into the mat it is a .3. If it is a just a brush or a quick touch it is up to .1.

What most people forget about is there is additional execution above and beyond this. SO - If your legs are bent behind you and you hit your feet on the mat, I'm taking .3 in hitting the mat, .3 in bent legs, and then your kip is going to to have some lack of extension, probably bent arms, etc.

Also - If you are having a hard time holding your feet up, you are probably finishing your turn not in a handstand (or 10 degrees from handstand.) This results in additional deductions. I have easily taken up to 1.0 on a pirouette/kip before.

To your other question about different scores at different meets, there are many different factors, especially at L8:
1. The judges are different people.
2. The angle the judges sit at might be different.
3. The routines that came before you were different. This will make a different in the composition that is taken (technically it shouldn't...but we all know it does.)

I highly recommend NOT trying to compare meet to meet in terms of scores, but rather be focused on the tangible results you can control...such as: getting your handstand before your clear hip! Super exciting and definitely an improvement from the meet before...even if your score doesn't reflect it, it doesn't mean the routine wasn't better. I tell my athletes that they cannot control the score, but can control how well they do the skills...so that is what we care about and how we judge our success.

^^^ what gympanda said. If you don't do the pirouette or a bar change at level 8, you are missing an element. I believe it's .3 for that particular one. I haven't looked in a while.

Thank you so much! I didn't know they still deduct for bent legs after you hit.

Also, when I don't hold my feet, it usually IS because I don't finish my pirouette near handstand.

Another point, I was literally the second person the judges saw on bars (the first being my teammate who had the exact same routine down to hitting her feet), while at the other meet there was a lot of people before me.

Thank you so much for clarifying everything for me!

how about this...just do it right and there will be no need for the question or variation in score. your SUPPOSED TO WANT TO DO IT CORRECTLY. understand peter pan?:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back