Parents Holding RL Splits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gripneeded

Proud Parent
Hi there - new to this forum, but most likely leaving the world of gymnastics, but I'm after some collective advice please.

Daughter is 8, has been training for 2 years, was invited to join prep squad, and had to complete four stages before being able to join squad squad (hope this makes sense)

She was told she's moving up and to start preparing for her first competition.

Move forward two weeks and she's been told she's now not moving up, but she's too old for prep squad come September.

I was watching one of her last coaching sessions (in the squad squad) and she was separated from the others and made too hold right leg splits for 45 minutes. The coach was pushing down on her, making her bounce and not letting her rest.

We've since had a couple of chats - the coaches have not responded to requests for meetings, and I think this is the end for her.

Do I:

Persue it with the club or just cut our losses and walk away?

If she still loves gymnastics, can you take her to tryout other local gyms? You may have to try a couple to find the right fit. I promise there is a gym out there that would be thrilled to take her and nurture her talent.
I would not be okay with holding the splits that long and especially the pushing her down. I have a not very flexible gymnast. She has managed to make it to level 5 so far but some gyms would definitely not take her.
I would try to talk to the owner or head coach (if it's someone different). They may be appalled or they may be okay with it. That will let you know how to proceed.

Hugs to your DD.

Hi there - new to this forum, but most likely leaving the world of gymnastics, but I'm after some collective advice please.

Daughter is 8, has been training for 2 years, was invited to join prep squad, and had to complete four stages before being able to join squad squad (hope this makes sense)

She was told she's moving up and to start preparing for her first competition.

Move forward two weeks and she's been told she's now not moving up, but she's too old for prep squad come September.

I was watching one of her last coaching sessions (in the squad squad) and she was separated from the others and made too hold right leg splits for 45 minutes. The coach was pushing down on her, making her bounce and not letting her rest.

We've since had a couple of chats - the coaches have not responded to requests for meetings, and I think this is the end for her.

Do I:

Persue it with the club or just cut our losses and walk away?
I would first talk to my gymnast about what happened. I’m assuming you did & she did not enjoy the experience. If so, and the coaches are not responding to your requests for a meeting, then the gym owner is the next step to file a formal complaint. I would also talk with other gym moms to see if others have had similar experiences. And I agree with everyone else: if your daughter loves the sport, try a new gym.

Is this normal? I remember seeing rows of 5-6 year old girls having this done to them with tears streaming down their faces. It wasn't for 45 minutes, more like 10. I thought I certainly wouldn't let a coach do this to my kid. It looked like borderline child abuse. For boys I've seen the coaches put blocks under my son's feet, to make his split harder, or push down on kids who didn't have their splits, but it was for maybe 2-3 minutes tops and nobody was crying.

Is this normal? I remember seeing rows of 5-6 year old girls having this done to them with tears streaming down their faces. It wasn't for 45 minutes, more like 10. I thought I certainly wouldn't let a coach do this to my kid. It looked like borderline child abuse. For boys I've seen the coaches put blocks under my son's feet, to make his split harder, or push down on kids who didn't have their splits, but it was for maybe 2-3 minutes tops and nobody was crying.

NO. This is NOT normal. 45 minutes of forced splits is abuse and DANGEROUS.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back