WAG Holiday routines!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I found out I am in charge of making all of the rec. kids holiday show routines! I am super excited but am also stuck. We can have the floor, and portable things like floor beams, aero boards, mats, props (hula hoops, hankerchiefs, cones etc.) but not much else as the gym has to be taken down for additional seating. I have a few songs picked out but need some more level 1 ideas (preteam ages 5-10) acro gymnastics-teens that do dance hopefully a cooler dancey song lol maybe pop? Cheer tumble-a faster rap-pop. Parent and toddler- maybe a silly disney song? Tot trampoline- maybe a rock, faster pased but still holiday song so they can run and jump. And regular trampoline class ages 5-15 maybe a faster paced pop type song? Any ideas greatly appriciated!

I would especially like to know if your gym has done a holiday show in the past and what you did or did not like about the routine and what to pick for little kids 5 and under! Do you like funny, cartoon songs or is it too cheesy?

How long does it need to be? I work with four year olds and we dance every day to Barbara Ann they love it and so do the parents if they catch us. So maybe other Beach Boys songs. Maybe a dance section to Jingle Bell Rock?

Our old gym did a holiday party with a 'show' every year. Each level had their only routine to holiday music. The gymnasts and parents LOVED it - it was probably the best thing the parents program and gym coordinated. First, all the levels were at the same party so we could see the itty bitties and the older girls. The skits were done on the floor exercise area, so part of each routine was tumbling passes. Think forward rolls and cartwheels from the little ones building to twisting through the levels. Lots of diagonal jumping passes. Seriously, just put reindeer ears on a 4 - 7 year old with Holiday music skipping across the floor -- it will be cute. Coordinate basic colors (red, green, black, white, gold) - add a santa hat from the dollar star.

Also, the older girls created their own routines (which they loved - they took 20 - 30 minutes of practice). The younger girls had coaches create it. The coaches took parts of standard dances -- think of the steps of the hokey pokey to holiday music. Or even an easy version of the cotton eyed joe.

Ok well for the holiday routine for my kinder-gym 4-5 year old class I used monster inc. theme! They love it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back