WAG Home Balance Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Most are going to advise against purchasing gymnastics equipment for home use for a couple of reasons. #1 of course is safety. And #2 as gymnasts move up in hours and school becomes more demanding, etc, most have little time to use the home equipment anyway and it ends up being a waste of money.

With that being said, my dd does have a floor beam from the beam store that she uses occasionally. That and a mat are the only gymnastics equipment we have at home. It is very well made. Personally, I wouldn't do an elevated beam for home use. But if you are 100% set on it be sure to also order the proper matting to go with it, for an elevated beam I would go with something thicker than just a panel mat. Best of luck!

Most are going to advise against purchasing gymnastics equipment for home use for a couple of reasons. #1 of course is safety. And #2 as gymnasts move up in hours and school becomes more demanding, etc, most have little time to use the home equipment anyway and it ends up being a waste of money.

With that being said, my dd does have a floor beam from the beam store that she uses occasionally. That and a mat are the only gymnastics equipment we have at home. It is very well made. Personally, I wouldn't do an elevated beam for home use. But if you are 100% set on it be sure to also order the proper matting to go with it, for an elevated beam I would go with something thicker than just a panel mat. Best of luck!
I agree. My daughter was all in on getting a beam for home and within a short period of time it's use diminished to next to nothing with the exception of when a gymmie friend is over and they're bored. Thankfully, we bought one of the foldable floor beams. The increase in training in the gym really does impact any desire to do "gym" at home.

We have that beam- a Christmas gift- very well made- as she got taller we took the elevated legs off- we also have a very good mat ( got the mat free from a gym replacing theirs and cleaned it up) that said, now that she is at higher hours it is mostly used as a seat while the kids play video games. I am sure in a year we will be passing it along to a younger girl.

bought a beam when I was in level 5, and it was never useful. Once I got to optionals, the hours were high enough that my time at home was spent on other things. Even before then it was hard to practice meaningfully at home because it wasn't the right "setting" for me to put everything together.

I wouldn't mind them working presses or turns on a raised beam at the house, but I'm not comfortable with them doing any sort of acro on the raised beam. Honestly, we have a raised one inherited from a friend, and they never use it. They only like the ground one that can fold up. If you lived near me, I would gladly give you our raised beam. Lol!

We actually have a folding beam and a raised 12 inch beam already but the raised beam is not the same feel/material as a competition beam. It's actually wood with a cover on it...we also have pads that wrap around it so when our DD is doing BWO or BHS she puts the pads on it. She is still young, 7 years old. She does her presses, skills, handstand holds and routines on the ones we have but was looking to get a better feeling one and a 12 ft. I'll see what her coaches say about it...

once you get to L6, Home equipment is useless.........unless you have cats.

Or a younger DS who can't do a scale on the floor without tipping over... He's gotten more use out of ours over the past year than my DD has.

But DD's is from the Beam Store, and it does seem to be decent quality. So, quality-wise, it's worth the money, but when I consider the amount of use hers gets (very rare after that first month), it hasn't really been worth the expense.

We actually have a folding beam and a raised 12 inch beam already but the raised beam is not the same feel/material as a competition beam. It's actually wood with a cover on it...we also have pads that wrap around it so when our DD is doing BWO or BHS she puts the pads on it. She is still young, 7 years old. She does her presses, skills, handstand holds and routines on the ones we have but was looking to get a better feeling one and a 12 ft. I'll see what her coaches say about it...

Hearing this, I would say don't buy it. Those are not skills she should be doing at home. Rather than buy more equipment,I would redirect her at home to other things.

I have a Beam Store beam at home that's around eight feet, but with no raised metal legs. It stands about an inch above the ground and is especially nice to have around during weekends, breaks, and meet season. While at-home beams aren't really suitable for acro beyond compulsory level, they are great for fixing routine details and jumps and turns. I think getting one wouldn't be a bad idea, it just depends on your gymnast. You can also use the mat that goes with it for basic floor and drills : ) I have had mine for a few years and still use it...

Reactions: sce
We bought one off Craigslist also. I bought it when my DD was training 6 hours a week and having trouble learning her full turn. I sold it (for the same price- yay!) about six months later- hours jumped to 24 and she had no time to use it anymore. I would seriously rethink allowing her to do acro skills at home. I'd be worries about bad habits at best and an injury at worst.

We bought ours used from another gym family for $50. I'm about ready to continue the trend and sell it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back