WAG Home Balance Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just don't spend a lot on one.......you can see from all,of our mistakes- all littles want the home beam and home bar. The home bar is a total waste of money since it is a really safety issue. The only thing you can do on a home bar is chin ups and pullovers.
The beam is the lesser of the two evils.....you can practice all the way up level 4 or 5 so at least, there is some usefulness. I would NOT agent anything raised off the ground more than an inch, and would not spend more than $100.....
The minute anything has any air, except for a split jump- it's useless.......just know that going in.
We are at L7 and the only thing that poor beam sees, other than the cats shredding it (instead of my couch) is the occasional calf stretch......that's it. But I paid $50 so I don't mind really......

My DD had the bar and the beam and the beam was used longer and for more gymnastics skills. The bar was awesome for conditioning and making forts. But the beam was great for all sorts of skills: leaps, jumps, turns, press handstands, cartwheels, back walkovers, and even learning back handspring and back tuck. Alas we sold it to a compulsory kid but I feel like we got our $100 worth of use and selling it was just icing on the cake.

1. The beam store is good. We bought our floor beam there.

2. It is good that you are going to ask the coach about recommendations :) I have yet to hear a coach on CB actually recommend home equipment other than a pull up bar and maybe something to stretch with, but I think there are some who are OK with certain home equipment within some parameters. I'm sure your coach will help you out.

3. Your daughter seems young and advanced - wonderful! Back to point #2 above, most coaches will not recommend advanced / flight skills like BHS at home. Could develop bad habits if done repeatedly without the coach there to constantly correct. Lots of people can tell you their mistakes there where their ambitious advanced kid developed bad habits and it set them back. Home trampolines, for example, are notorious for developing ugly tumbling that frustrates coaches. That said, many people do have home beams and trampolines, and no big issues. So just something to think about. Non-flight skills are probably ok. My DD sometimes does BWO, CW, some jumps and turns, and handstands on her floor beam. Not really for 'practice', but just playing around. Doesn't use it much anymore other than in an obstacle course in the backyard.

Yes, cat also likes to sit on it. This is universal. :p

We purchased a low profile beam and mat from the Beam Store and it seems to be good quality (just not quite the same feel as a competition beam). It doesn't get a lot of use in our house, but my kids do make up routines from time to time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back