Parents Home gym/play room question

• Thread starter littlekateskate
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

littlekateskate

Okay, when I say home gym we are not really saying gymnastics gym. :) We are wanting to turn our childrens play room into a mini gym for them. And by this i mean monkeybars, rock wall, and a rope to climb if that makes sense. And a punching bag for the boys lol. As well I thought about a low floor balance beam.

The kids are all little (toddlers) my dd who is almost five does a little gymnastics. And my three year old has low muscle tone and is in therapy to work on building it. We as the parents are very physically fit and our children see the importance of fitness in our lives and we want to give them a fun room to go and play yet be physically fit.

On another note we live in a housing addition where swing sets are not allowed. So we cant just get a cool swing set for outside and this is partially why we are looking to bring it indoors. The room is a good size and has 10 foot ceiliings.

Just looking for advice of where to get stuff, great websites, ect. thanks!!

Not sure if any really good places - I would just do a lot of research online and see what you come up with. It sounds like a really fun idea though - can I come over and play when you're done, lol :D

Lol, thanks. We think it sounds fun and what better way to have a play room. However we keep searching and searching and we cant find anything. Surely we arent the first people ever to do this!

I just hate our kids cant go outside and play. But its the next best thing! Well can be if we find something.

Here's one site that has a lot of great equipment. You can probably adapt some of it for indoors:

http://www.wolverinesports.com/

Also, my DH built a low balance beam using a 4"x6"x12' piece of wood. He used adhesive to wrap it with a thin piece of foam and then a piece of vinyl (this is not like a true beam but vinyl comes is really fun colors; my DD has purple). He then put small 2x4 pieces on each end for stability.

If you can find the stuff, you may end up charging admission. I would be leary of anything involving climbing---rock wall or rope. Just too many chances for slipping and falling. The ropes used in many gyms have large knots tied in them to assist with climbing, but may be much longer that what you're looking for. Have no idea what they cost.

To get the kids out, try bike riding, just kicking/throwing balls around the yard, make up little obstacle courses. I'm a huge advocate of every child being able to swim---try some lessons for the whole bunch! Your little gymmie will benefit as will your child with muscle tone problems. Something the whole family can enjoy.

If you can find the stuff, you may end up charging admission. I would be leary of anything involving climbing---rock wall or rope. Just too many chances for slipping and falling. The ropes used in many gyms have large knots tied in them to assist with climbing, but may be much longer that what you're looking for. Have no idea what they cost.

Dont worry we plan on covering the whole room floor in super big gym mats. :) Also length of ropes isnt a problem since they can be cut. And really kids who have swing sets with these things have the same chances of falling outside then in a padded room. Which i would think would be more dangerous.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back