MAG Home mushroom (and flexibility update)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

l.c.o

Proud Parent
DS is in his first level 4 season. He can currently do one circle on mushroom, and is asking for a mushroom for home. Is it worth purchasing for him? Or, like girls equipment, is it best to stay away? Thanks for any help!

Also quick update on the stretching - there's been no more pushing by coach, and his left split is almost down! He's been stretching daily on his own at home (though usually just a few 10 counts). And if he's warmed up, he's pretty much got his pancake... though the rest is still a ways off!

mushroom..totally worth it!! TOtally. My son made so much progress. Especially since he already has a circle and knows the right way to do it. We had ours from pre-L4 until L7 when we sold it for teh same amount we paid for it :) (now we have a floor pommel. sigh)

YES!!!! I kept my eye out for used ones for a few months and was nervous when I finally found one and bought it. We paid $100, which was kind of a lot for us, espeicially since my son had only been doing gymnastics 2 months. He was doing a single circle soon after, then multiple circles soon after that. It's also allowed him to try out some of the other moves like flares.

It's worth it. My little guy has had his several years, and he and several neighbors (also gymnasts) still use it frequently. Try Craigslist, I've seen them for sale there occasionally.

We have one sitting in our living room, in front of the TV (sigh...). It has really helped both my boys. They've done well on pommel this year (level 4 and 5). Totally worth it (even if it is an eyesore). Put the word out with the older team boys that you are looking and someone might have a used one to sell.

Mushroom is definitely worth it. Personally, I think the ideal time to introduce a home one is when they have achieved 1 circle in class, and now the goal is to start connecting it... to do 1 1/4, 1 1/2, and eventually 2. Once the have figured out how to connect 2 circles, there's no stopping them and suddenly they are doing 10 :)

So it sounds like now is the perfect time!

Yes -- it's the one piece of home gym gear that I think just about everyone would enthusiastically recommend. The only caveat is that they shouldn't start at home until they understand the technique, but by the time anyone is asking about a home mushroom, they usually do know in theory what they're supposed to be doing. Knowing what I know about wrists now too I'd also discourage doing more than 50 circles at a time. (Yes, this will eventually be a realistic risk.)

Oh, wow! Thanks, everyone!

I'll definitely put some feelers out in the gym, but looks like we're going mushroom shopping!

Thanks again for your input.

Agreed, my friend's level 4 loves to play on his mushroom and is very good at circles.

I am still amazed at circles, they seem to defy the laws of physics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back