Parents Home Schooling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter was home schooled for 5th grade because of issues with a teacher. She had this teacher for 3rd grade and then he was moved to 5th grade and she got him again. Since there were only 2 teachers per grade, she would have to have him for some classes.

We were in Pennsylvania at the time and I knew it would only be for a year so I opted for a online charter school that used K12. I was worried about my abilities to teach her well and didn't want to spend a fortune on things I would only use for a year. Since it was a public school and they provided all the materials including the laptop and printer, it seemed like a good fit. It was a great experience and she could do her work anywhere there was an internet connection. She had an official teacher who talked to her once a month and offered help online. She could join reading groups, discussion groups and get help with writing assignments if she wanted to. The school offered local planned outings every month, and handled all the required state testing. I would go the same route again if I needed to.

This seems like it would be opposite to me. Most homeschool high schoolers I know have lots of independence, take classes at a community college for some subjects, and do independent study and/or internships. Their life is way more unstructured than those who are in an institution all day long and are told what to do every step of the way. I've heard colleges appreciate that homeschoolers are used to managing their own education and time - usually they are the last ones to "go wild". Maybe they're talking about gymnasts who are in the gym 30 hours a week? Sounds like a weird concern to me...

It was a gymnastics coach we were talking to and her concern was exactly what you mentioned...in the gym 30+ hours and week and homeschooled...it seemed weird to me too but it was something that she talked about at length...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back