Parents Homeschool gyms, back to school

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymBeeMom

Proud Parent
My daughter is part of our homeschool day training. Her brother goes to regular school, so we get him back to school supplies and clothes. For our DD, we get new leos, yoga pants, and sweatshirts. She still gets the joy of "back to school" and gets her pumped for the new season. She also gets new supplies for our homeschool year. How do you guys get ready for a new season? Does your homeschooled gymmie miss the back-to-school routine of your other kids? Mine doesn't know any different because she has been in the homeschool program at our gym since she started but I wonder if she will miss it when she is older (only 8 now). Anyway, we are all excited for the new "school" year...bring on 3rd grade and a new comp season:):)

we don't have HS in the gym but we have homeschooled since the beginning with 1 yr of ps in 3rd grade. All of her friends go to ps but she doesn't miss it at all. We go through the ritual of buying new school supplies like everyone else. We don't buy new clothes though. We buy those as the kids need them. We gradually ease into our school work over the course of a few weeks too so it's not a huge anticipation of "the day we start back".

We don't have that program at our gym, but my 8 yr old has done cyber school just this past year and doesn't want to go back to p.s.! I also get her new leos and regular supplies, but not clothing. She's happy and actually enjoys shopping for the leos better. Because she's happy, I will continue this choice of schooling!:)

We don't have that program at our gym, but my 8 yr old has done cyber school just this past year and doesn't want to go back to p.s.! I also get her new leos and regular supplies, but not clothing. She's happy and actually enjoys shopping for the leos better. Because she's happy, I will continue this choice of schooling!:)

if you don't mind sharing, which cyber school? through the PS or private? We are looking into this for high school in a couple more years.

It's called PA Leadership Charter School! It's not private, so depending on where you are, it's a go! It's a very good school for her so far, but my 12th grader did 11th grade there and didn't care for it to much!

How does it work homeschooling through your gym BeeMom?? Does she go to the gym every morning? Are there other kids her age in the program as well? Our gym is considering starting a home school program, so it's very interesting to me. :)

We homeschool (at home, not related to the gym) and our big tradition is to go fall/winter clothes shopping the week after everyone else goes back to school. No crowds and lots of deals! They do need seasonal clothes (starting to get cooler already), but no need for "supplies". My shopping for curriculum happens online mostly and is pretty as-needed and gradual. And leos only as needed; no big buying spree in the fall since she uses them year-round, unlike her clothes (which are seasonal).

Oh! And we LOVE to go to the beach (or park, weather depending) that first week public school starts too. Plenty of time to hit the books later. Homeschoolers tend to take advantage of empty malls/parks/museums to celebrate the new "school" year!

this whole homeschool gym thing is so foreign to me....is it designed to be a training program for elite?? why else would a gym offer a homeschool program? don't anyone attack me...I know many people homeschool just for the sake of homeschooling and it has nothing to do with gym :)

Our gym has approximately 40 homeschooled gymnasts. We have a classroom at the gym. Some kids do their schooling at the gym and some leave to school at home. My daughter comes home for school and then I take her back for her second training session. Certainly elite level training is the goal for many of our homeschooled gymnasts, but some would homeschool regardless of gymnastics. We've had many national team members and college scholarships come out of our homeschool program. Every family has unique reasons for choosing this path. My daughter trains 29 hours a week. Homeschool allows her to train these hours, be home for dinner, have time for church, friends, piano, and ballet while still ensuring plenty of family time. If she was at school all day and at gym until 8:30 at night, it would be very hard to have time for the other important things. Also, she is only 8 so we want her in bed at a reasonable time and homeschool helps with this. For us, it was about keeping balance. The choice is hers and she can change her plan at any time. I was a teacher and feel that i am able to provide an advanced and academically challenging program to my daughter. As long as it works, we will keep going with it. I hope that answered some of the questions.

How does it work homeschooling through your gym BeeMom?? Does she go to the gym every morning? Are there other kids her age in the program as well? Our gym is considering starting a home school program, so it's very interesting to me. :)

I explained most of it in a seperate post, but to be more specific to you...
My daughter goes to gym from 8-12am everyday M-S, breaks for lunch and school and then trains from 2:30-5:00 a few days a week. On the days she is done at noon we have the rest of the afternoon for school, piano, ballet, and family time. On the long training days, she is done by 5:00 so lessons are done in between training sessions. Our gym has a classroom with a proctor to help with guiding the kids through their work. My daughter is 8 and started the program at 7 years old. There are kids from 7 to 19 years old in the day program. We also have night training for all kids that are in traditional schools. Nobody is forced to choose the homeschool path in order to receive high level training, but it does make it easier to fit all the training hours in with homeschool. See my prior post for more info...and let me know if you have any other questions. It was scary to me when I first looked into it but now I cant imagine a better fit for my daughter. BTW, my other child still goes to public school.

You’re right, you would have no time for school with that schedule…it seems like an awful lot of hours for an 8 year old…did I read she’s a level 7? I can’t imagine what the level 9s and 10s do for hours at your gym!!

You’re right, you would have no time for school with that schedule…it seems like an awful lot of hours for an 8 year old…did I read she’s a level 7? I can’t imagine what the level 9s and 10s do for hours at your gym!!

The plan is for her to compete level 7 this year. She was a level 5 last year. Many of our day girls will skip a level or 2 along the way in pursuit of the skills needed for TOPS/HOPES/ELITE at young ages. My DD is not unique in this at our gym, thus all the hours. The focus is on uptraining and conditioning rather than their current competitive level. She will probably not be an amazing level 7 competitor but will hopefully hold her own. Our 9,10, elite girls add another 5 hours a week to what my DD trains. The night girls do not train as many hours and is probably comparable to other competitive gyms. This is typical for national training centers/elite gyms as far as I can tell. It is a lot of hours for an 8 year old. But she she still gets up every morning ready for gym and the next challenge, so until that changes we are rolling with it. (and the occasional missed class to go do something fun helps avoid burnout and keeps prioroties in line:)

Happy kids are what its all about:) Enjoy your cyber school year!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back