Parents Homeschool Programs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OKnasticMom

Proud Parent
My questions are to those who currently have college-bound gymnasts in homeschool programs or who have recent graduates of these programs.

With so many options and requirements, searching for the right homeschool program is giving me a headache :) My daughter will start homeschool in the fall for many reasons; one of which is to train during the day. She is aiming for college gymnastics; so NCAA requirements (and university requirements) are key in the homeschool programs we choose. Also, I would rather put her in a homeschool program that she can stay with for the rest of her middle school years and then through highschool; rather than changing programs after middle school. I did find the NCAA eligibility link to help guide these decisions for approved programs and classes. However, I am wondering what programs you have had first hand experience with? Are there any I should stay away from? What programs do/did you love?

At this time, I would rather have a homeschool program that gives me a curriculum to follow; esp. since this will be my first experience with homeschool. Sharing your experience with me would be greatly appreciated.

Are you interested in online schooling or scrictly homeschool curriculum? We homeschool but have always used an eclectic approach, not a boxed curriculum. Bit we are looking into online virtual schooling for high school, namely connections academy, but there are others out there.

Are you interested in online schooling or scrictly homeschool curriculum? We homeschool but have always used an eclectic approach, not a boxed curriculum. Bit we are looking into online virtual schooling for high school, namely connections academy, but there are others out there.

I have looked at both. Because this will be her first year of homeschool, I thought mixture of the two would be a good start for the transition; however, complete online-schooling is not out of the question. I want her to be completely online by highschool only for the simple fact that it will be important in the future to have an immense technology background.

I will look at Connections Academy. Thank you for the suggestion.

I recently came across Stanford Online High School: ohs.stanford.edu. This looks like an amazing option for grades 7-12. I don't know much about it. Just landed on it related to my day job and may check it out again some day when my 8 year old DD is closer to middle school. If you browse their student ambassadors you will see ballet kids, swim team, etc. Obviously high achievers athletically and academically.

Reactions: sce
I recently came across Stanford Online High School: ohs.stanford.edu. This looks like an amazing option for grades 7-12. I don't know much about it. Just landed on it related to my day job and may check it out again some day when my 8 year old DD is closer to middle school. If you browse their student ambassadors you will see ballet kids, swim team, etc. Obviously high achievers athletically and academically.
I do know some about it. (Know someone who worked with Stanford pre-collegiate studies and another family who's used it.) It is excellent.

I do know some about it. (Know someone who worked with Stanford pre-collegiate studies and another family who's used it.) It is excellent.

This is the long-term goal for my dd. She is homeschooled now, but just finished 4th grade, so we've got some time. We do a mix of online classes and other courses on our own. It has worked very well so far. Good to hear a positive review about OHS.

Be careful with the program you choose because there have been recent problems with girls committed to colleges, and then not able to matriculate because something in their homeschool program wasn't up to the requirements....what I have seen in the last couple of years is kids who have homeschooled as a rule returning to brick and mortar schooling for their last 1 or 2 years of high school and then everything seems to be ok..

I have no experience with it yet but we will be starting with Laurel Springs School in the next month or so. Seems like a good choice both accredited and NCAA compliant.

I just saw this on another site and thought it might be of interest to those not in the brick and mortar schools...it was a response to a schooling question and eligibility....

No, that's not how it works. Athletes have 4 years to complete high school from the time they start high school with their class until the class finishes.  Period.  If an athlete is behind, they must catch up in time (by the time their class graduates for 2015 and older - and by June of their junior year & then again at them their class graduates for 2016 and later).  If an athlete takes 5 years to graduate from high school, they must seek a waiver from the NCAA.  Dominique Pegg requested and was granted such a waiver, but it was not a quick and simple process.  Unless the athlete actively competes in the Olympics (NOT "I gave it a good try and was on national team") during one of those 5 years, it is exceptionally difficult to receive this waiver.

Every NCAA gymnast must start high school after July 1 of their freshman year and 1) earn a high school diploma and 2) meet their core requirements (plus an allowance of one class after graduation) by June of their fourth year.  There are basically NO exceptions to this rule except for active Olympians and gymnasts with documented and approved-by-NCAA learning disabilities.

If a gymnast graduates in 4 years, however, she may sit out one year for any reason she likes before starting NCAA. An athlete's NCAA time clock will not begin to run until 1) one year after graduation, or 2) when she starts taking college classes - whichever comes first.

Quite a few gymnasts attend high schools with K12 curriculum vendor programs. Even when the school itself was not on the NCAA-banned list, the units have not been accepted unless they were from the 2010-2011 time frame. Every gymnast who took K12 classes should consult with the NCAA or their college NOW about those units so that they have time to make them up and are not surprised during their last semester of senior year. It is not uncommon for athletes to have to make up classes. Many exclusively online-educated gymnasts have to cram additional units in their last year of high school and they figure out a way to get it done.

Anyone has experience with CAVA? A public homeschooling program that uses the K-12 system as curriculum. I'm thinking about switching dds to it due to the lack of resources in TE available school in my area. Advice and information will be appreciated.

My non-gymnast child was involved for two or three years with EPGY, a Stanford online program, while being homeschooled. We have nothing but wonderful things to say with our Stanford experience. My child LOVED the program and we wouldn't think twice about enrolling in another Stanford online program.

I would highly recommend Stanford!!

My non-gymnast child was involved for two or three years with EPGY, a Stanford online program, while being homeschooled. We have nothing but wonderful things to say with our Stanford experience. My child LOVED the program and we wouldn't think twice about enrolling in another Stanford online program.

I would highly recommend Stanford!!
My dd is in EPGY math now. They have a new program and she loves it so far! Gymnastics or not -- I cannot see her ever going back to a traditional school. She is able to take such amazing classes at the level she needs/is capable of that I don't think she'd be willing to give that up.

Anyone has experience with CAVA? A public homeschooling program that uses the K-12 system as curriculum. I'm thinking about switching dds to it due to the lack of resources in TE available school in my area. Advice and information will be appreciated.
If your child has any aspirations of college sports, I would look at bookworm's post right above yours. K12 has fallen under a lot of scrutiny lately and I believe that a few of the CAVAs are specifically on the banned list for the NCAA. I am not saying you can't get a good education from the k12 programs. Lots of parents swear by it. Just saying you want to be prepared to make the right decision for your own child, particularly if he/she plans to play any sports in college. And of course, this is only for high school.

As for the Stanford online school, I don't know the details of this particular one so what I am going to say may not apply to it but it's good to know in general if you are going this route. The NCAA draws a blurry line as to what is traditional schooling and non-traditional schooling - in that traditional means a live teacher. A lot of the online classes directed toward homeschoolers are prerecorded seminars and power point presentations. They can be great and the students can learn a lot, but because there is no live teacher component, they are not considered traditional and will not count for the NCAA core classes. I believe this is one of the reasons why k12 has come under so much scrutiny.

Stanford has live teachers and their HS classes are approved by the NCAA (at least they are at this point -- they can change their mind on a dime, but they pass the clearinghouse as of now).

One of the reasons K12 came under scrutiny was due to the classes not having a specific start/end date (self-paced classes are not allowed, even if the student completes it in a timely fashion).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back