Parents Homeschool

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is in a public school now but there is a homeschool program at the gym she takes gymnastics at. She wants to do gymnastics all the time. At what age or level would be best to put her in this homeschool program?

How old is she? What level is she? Other than wanting to do gymnastics all the time is there any reason for her to have to homeschool at the gym or does she just think it sounds fun or neat or easier or something?

I have a homeschooled gymnast. She started in first grade. I will say this decision must not be made lightly. There is a lot of sacrifice that goes into the life of the homeschooled gymnast. The educational needs must always come ahead of the gymnastics needs. PLease discuss the aspects of your gyms home schooled athletics with other parents and gymmies who participate. Also, make sure you understand what your child wants to get out of her gymnastics and what she wants out of school. These wishes may not be compatible with the homeschooled lifestyle. Also, how will this effect your other children? So much goes into the decision but if you know it is what your family wants and your gymmie is really ready to take the plunge, then anytime is the right time. Also, children have to be invited to the homeschool program my daughter is in-was your dd invited or is her program open to all gymmies at her gym?

She's 5 years old and only started gymnastics last summer. She has such a drive for it and wants to learn everything. She asks to watch YouTube videos of "The Big Girls." It's not just for the gymnastics. Gymnastics is the thing that burns her energy. She is extreme ADHD but brilliant and has a difficult time learning at the pace the rest of the class is. She gets bored easily and it causes her to get into trouble. She learns at a much faster pace and ends up having to do other things while the other kids are still back on what she already knows. A lot of the things are just to occupy her. I think it would benefit her education and gymnastics. She does math and reading workbooks at home(for fun). From what I've heard about homeschool, it's great for those kids that can and need to learn at a faster pace. She would just get the bonus of doing gymnastics everyday.

I don't have any other kids. I am a single mom. I talked to the owner of the gym and he wants to evaluate her for it but I haven't made any decisions yet. I would have to move there because we drive an hour to the gym. This is another reason for the homeschooling. She wants to do gymnastics more and I can't drive an hour there and an hour back every time. It would be easier just to live there and let her go to school there.

That's a tough decision. What would happen if she decided that she didn't want to do gymnastics anymore? You would have to take on the responsibility of homeschooling her yourself, or reinstate her into public school.

From your post, she has entered kindergarten, right? Are you unhappy with where she is now? The first couple of years, there is a wide range of abilities of children. I would be really careful about changing her schooling environment unless it really was the best for the BOTH of you.

I'm happy where she is. She is at the school I went to. It's not an issue with the school at all.
I've actually asked her that question. She's very adult-like. I've asked her what we would do if she decided she didn't want to do gymnastics anymore? She looked at me like I was crazy. "I don't know. I like it now." I asked her why she wants to go to that school? She said, "I don't know. You know how I went to school for the first time and I had to see what that was about? I have to see what it's about." So, in her words, she's saying that she needs to see if that is something she wants to do. I'm all for that. I want her to do what she loves. Later, if she decides this isn't the life she wants, she is more than welcome to do something else. I am a working mother so I wouldn't be able to homeschool her myself. She would have to go back into a school. That is just something we would have to deal with if the time comes.

How much gymnastics is she currently doing? Is she on team now, or in a rec program? Team training can be very different than taking classes as it requires much more focus and sometimes a slower pace than classes. Most gyms that provide homeschooling at the gym do it so that the girls can train rather intensely. Many gymnasts absolutely love it when they start, especially if they are only going a few hours a week. Some continue to love it as they train more hours, others do not. It is very likely in the homeschool program she would be training every day for several hours- it is generally for girls who are wanting to commit to intense team training with the goal of elite or college.

I'm confused. How would you manage homeschooling if you work fulltime? I know some gyms have co-ops and tutors but they usually require the parents to teach at least part-time. Doesn't really sound like this program is homeschool as much as it sounds more like an alternative school.

It just seems a little premature at this point in her schooling and gymnastics. It would be one thing if you are homeschooling for educational/family reasons but just so she can go to the gym more at such a beginner level...

We homeschool because it fits our family best. My children can learn at their own pace and delve into topics that interest them. Homeschooling definitely helps with sports because we have a lot more family time, less school hours, and little homework (unless they have goofed around and didn't get their work done). So we don't have to worried about all that in the evening time. They can also get up later if they have a long night. While we love this lifestyle, we didn't choose it because of sports. It's just a nice benefit that it helps with that.

Before going this route, I would want to know the specifics like how is school done - Tutors, online learning, co-ops, etc., cost, how many hours for gym, etc.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

My daughter is in a public school now but there is a homeschool program at the gym she takes gymnastics at. She wants to do gymnastics all the time. At what age or level would be best to put her in this homeschool program?

I agree with gymgal...your daughter is a 5 yo beginner gymnast and so much can happen...I know she "wants to do gymnastics all the time' but I wouldn't change her schooling arrangements just because of that...

I wouldn't move my kids, change schools and basically re-arrange our lives for gymnastics at this point. I definitely wouldn't have done it when they were 5. I can't say never; but they would have to be higher level for sure. And with them old enough that I felt pretty sure that they would be sticking with it. I know so many people who's kids have quit around 6th grade. And on the flip side, I don't want my kids feeling like they have to stick with something that they might be ready to give up; but they worry that the family has made sacrifices for them to do it, so they have to stick with it. Does that make sense?

For now, I'd stick with what you are doing - have her at the gym however many hours per week her coaches recommend and just see where things go. It isn't like this option is going to go away.

If you decide to home school, do it because you and your husband (not a 5 year old) sincerely believe that home schooling is preferable for your dd's education and childhood than public school would be, as this is so much more important than gymnastics for your dd at her current age. Dd attended public school for all 12 years while getting to L10 and is now on a D1 NCAA gymnastic team, so it is possible to do both.
Good luck to you and your dd.

Your daughter has more extensive needs for schooling due to what you described and I am not convinced that a homeschool based gymnastics program will be best for her (who knows what curriculum there is - it seems they have someone else teaching the kids, not the parents). I would look into an enrichment program like immersion. It is best to start this young and if she is a fast learner like you describe it could give her the ability to have a fluent second language. Or other enrichment might be a robotics league: USFIRST.org. This is great for math enrichment.

Your daughter has more extensive needs for schooling due to what you described and I am not convinced that a homeschool based gymnastics program will be best for her (who knows what curriculum there is - it seems they have someone else teaching the kids, not the parents). I would look into an enrichment program like immersion. It is best to start this young and if she is a fast learner like you describe it could give her the ability to have a fluent second language. Or other enrichment might be a robotics league: USFIRST.org. This is great for math enrichment.

Homeschooling can be wonderful for a child with advanced educational needs if you have the time to devote to her schooling. A tutoring program/gym homeschool classroom is probably not the best option at her age and advanced academic needs. I would also see if your school offers a gifted program, which your dd may truly benefit from. Just my 2 cents.

Homeschooling can be wonderful for a child with advanced educational needs if you have the time to devote to her schooling. A tutoring program/gym homeschool classroom is probably not the best option at her age and advanced academic needs. I would also see if your school offers a gifted program, which your dd may truly benefit from. Just my 2 cents.

I agree it would be great if the parents can homeschool and offer enrichment (depends where you live though, some places it is harder than others to find the resources, you may be able to find better through a school system), however that does not seem to be what they are considering. I'm a little unsure from the OP's description though what exactly this program entails. I do not think the OP should move for a gym program. If moving is an option they should move to the school district that provides better enrichment or magnet schools that can meet her child's need (maybe a more non traditional school). I assume the gym homeschool program is pretty pricey tuition, maybe look into Montessori or another child-led program and put the money towards that, there is usually more opportunity to move around during the learning times than traditional school.

My take is do homeschool if it is something you would consider even if she wasn't doing gymnastics. Don't do it because of Gymnastics.

My DD is going on 16yo and has always been in regular school (catholic school k-8 and Now public HS) She is and always has been a Straight "A" High Honors student. She is a L8/9 and has been at this since the mommy and me classes.

I'm confused. How would you manage homeschooling if you work fulltime? I know some gyms have co-ops and tutors but they usually require the parents to teach at least part-time. Doesn't really sound like this program is homeschool as much as it sounds more like an alternative school.

It just seems a little premature at this point in her schooling and gymnastics. It would be one thing if you are homeschooling for educational/family reasons but just so she can go to the gym more at such a beginner level...

We homeschool because it fits our family best. My children can learn at their own pace and delve into topics that interest them. Homeschooling definitely helps with sports because we have a lot more family time, less school hours, and little homework (unless they have goofed around and didn't get their work done). So we don't have to worried about all that in the evening time. They can also get up later if they have a long night. While we love this lifestyle, we didn't choose it because of sports. It's just a nice benefit that it helps with that.

Before going this route, I would want to know the specifics like how is school done - Tutors, online learning, co-ops, etc., cost, how many hours for gym, etc.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app
This is us as well. We homeschool because it fits us best.
i have to add also your dd is 5 yo. She is not capable of making her educational decisions. You as the parent have to decide what is best for her.

Why in the world do you guys think gifted kids need MORE enrichment? Dudes. They by definition need LESS academic enrichment.

The only reason they need MORE in traditional schools is because they aren't allowed to move at their pace and they just don't have anything to do for stretches of the day because they've already mastered the class's goals.

My impression is that most gymschools are using either parent purchased curriculum or virtual academies -- much like kids on a movie set -- they are on their own curricular track. There is nothing wrong with that for gifted students. They aren't bored because they are moving at their own pace.

Enrichment for gifted students is necessary because they are required to be there for 7 hours a day, or whatever the school day length is, and they aren't allowed to just go home when they know everything the teacher is trying to teach, and they aren't always allowed to move ahead, because a classroom teacher may not be willing to differentiate.

Home school students work at the grade level best suited to their abilities.

In gym schools, GYM IS THE ENRICHMENT. It's what they get to do with the time freed up by not needing to have the time overhead of a typical grade-leveled group education.

I'm not saying this is right for the OPs kid. But as a former gifted child and a mom of a gifted child, I cringe at the idea that we should reward fast aptitude for schoolwork by making them do even more enrichment that may not be their thing.

Flip it gymnastically. It is like saying, instead of allowing a really gifted gymnast to score out of a level and do more than one level some years, we need to take that gymnast and make her do one level a year but we'll enrich her by making her compete rhythmic too.

Why in the world do you guys think gifted kids need MORE enrichment? Dudes. They by definition need LESS academic enrichment.

I guess that depends on how you define enrichment. I am also the mom of a "gifted" child - 3, in fact, with one close to the 99th percentile. I also homeschool so I have btdt.

Teaching gifted kids is not just about letting them learn at a quicker pace. It's about satisfying their thirst for knowledge. While mildly gifted children (75th-95th percentile) might be satisfied with a quicker paced regular ed curriculum, most moderate and up gifted children NEED enrichment to satisfy their curiosity.

When we first started homeschooling, I let my kids go at their own pace but when my oldest two ended up 4+ years ahead of their peers after 2 yrs of schooling, I realized it is far better to add enrichment to slow down their academic pace. They were so much happier because they finally were getting what they wanted - deeper understanding of what they were studying instead of the superficial learning they were doing. By enrichment, I mean to delve deeper into topics - much deeper than they would ever get in regular ed lessons; Allowing them to research their interests through projects; doing electives (music, sign language, robotics, computers). They are still a year or two above grade level, depending on the subject but they have a much deeper body of knowledge, which should serve them better in high school and college than if they just blasted through the regular ed curriculum, graduating years ahead of their peers. Of course, I suppose I could had also gone the route of just sticking with the regular ed curriculum and schooled only about a 1/3 of the school year....

So the value of enrichment really depends on how you define it. I will agree that the enrichment most schools do for their gifted students really is just extra busy work. It would be better if they would modify their regular assignments to provide true differentiation so that the students are not being punished with more work just because they are quicker to grasp concepts. But this rarely happens.

gymgal... if only there had been options like this for my very gifted older brother. As a child of a single mom, homeschooling was not an option, and in the 70's, the thing to do was skip grades. So he skipped two, went to an ivy leagueschool at 15, and now isn't doing much with his life (tho there are other issues). Enrichment as you call it sounds like it would have been great for him.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back