Off Topic Homeschool?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

onelittledream

Proud Parent
Today my husband, my daughter, and I have been talking about homeschooling starting next year. DD will be on competitive team and will be moving into fourth grade. I work full time and am mostly set up by my company to work at home but sometimes have to go into the office (about once a month or so) and my husband works varying hours. (sometimes days, sometimes nights). The state I am in does not have a law as to what age we are "allowed" to leave a child home alone, in the case I get called into the office and husband is also working it would be technically legal to leave her with her lessons.

I am curious as to what others that have home schooled and done gymnastics full time have overcome. Would anyone care to tell their story so maybe I can have some opinions to work on while devising a plan? I know PLENTY of home school parents but don't know much of anyone at the gym but her coach who states that most of the girls eventually go home school on the team.

We homeschool out children and my middle does gymnastics. Unless your gym is out of the norm, I wouldn't say that most gymnasts are homeschooled. On the team of about 90 girls, there are 15ish in the homeschool group.

I homeschool and by happenstance my kids do gymnastics. Homeschooling for us is not because of gym. Also, not sure what you mean by gym full-time.

As for your issue with sometimes needing to go into work ocassionally. I've had situations like that. I did a few things depending on what I could work out 1) Ask another homeschool friend to watch my kids. 2) Hire a sitter 3) Bring them with me. I personally would not leave a 4th grader home alone, but that is also a personal choice.

By full time I don't mean hours I mean going into optional day gym. My DD is not at that level yet but I am thinking short term AND long term. There are a few other reasons besides gym that I want to home school. Actually if I were to be honest with myself I would say that I have always wanted to home school but am using gym as an excuse. I really have not "made friends" at they gym with the other parents except one but that parent has a boy on the boy's team not a girl and for some reason the boys just don't practice as many hours.

I do have some trepidation about leaving my child home on the rare occasions that it would happen. She is a smart responsible kid and would do what I told her, knows how to dial my cell if she needs something and how to 911 if ever needed. However, I think you are right I may just need to network harder with the other homeschooling's at my church and get a standby if I ever need. Bringing her to work with me would not work as I word for a large insurance company and she would not be allowed in due to HIPPA laws.

I guess I am just trying to get a handle on what life would be like in general: Day gym hours, home school lessons, and full time work. I don't want to take a bigger bite than I can chew and choke when it comes to my child's welfare.

I homeschooled - actually virtual schooled (K-12 curriculum) for middle school, 6-8 grade. Personally, I don't think it would have been a benefit before then, since my kid's gym hours weren't too much until around level 8. After my daughters hit level 8, homeschooling relieved a lot of pressure on our family by allowing us to set the schedule and our own deadlines; meaning, no staying up late and stressed out because there would be a test the next day. However, both my daughters missed traditional school and have returned to public school with modified schedules/independent study so that they are still able to do an earlier practice and be done at 6:30, allowing for dinner and homework without staying up too late. The best of both worlds, if you ask me.

However, unlike you, I didn't have any reason other than their gymnastics schedule for the homeschooling. If they weren't in gym, they wouldn't have been homeschooled. I think a lot depends on your child's temperament as well, one of my daughters loved it, one didn't. And as a parent, it was a LOT of work, even with the virtual program.

I have heard a bit about the K-12 curriculum. And yes you hit it on the head, there is a lot of up late trying to finish that last chapter of a book for a comprehension test, or spelling drills for the test the next day or wrestling over this very unique way they are teaching division now a days. I feel like I am pushing a wheelbarrow up a muddy dirt hill backwards. I volunteer at the school a lot and I love the teachers but with overcrowded classrooms a lot of wasted time trying to get everyone where they need to be and quiet so teaching can even be done. And this is the first year we have encountered "standardized testing" and the teachers feeling like they are forced to "teach the test". These are all my other reasons, plus we have a pretty prevalent "gang activity" problem in our schools from middle school (6th) up. These are all my other reasons.

Gym has become VERY important to my child in the past few months, and I do all I can to encourage that because I would rather her be in the gym than out getting in trouble. We spend a lot more time in the gym than we are required to: She has her regular classes, then we have a Private coach we do one hour twice a week with (I know this is a heated topic so please don't lecture me on this, I do it because it is helpful to my daughter and keeps her in a more healthy place than "hanging out" does.) and she goes to every open gym we can get her into. The coaches and gym owners know her well and are so supportive to us. DD has stated she feels "safe" at the gym as opposed to some of the after school functions that the district puts out, so I encourage every minute there that I can.

A lot of people homeschool here in town, I know more parents that homeschool than parents that do not in fact, what I do not know is parents who both homeschool and do gymnastics, and I just get a feeling from reading some of the older homeschool posts on here that homeschool/gymnastics is its own dynamic in and of itself.

I have been considering homeschooling my girls starting next year. With another possible move coming for us next summer, I just think my girls would have more stability if I homeschooled them. My DD in 8th grade is on her 8th school, and it takes a toll. Not on her grades- she has never once brought home less than an A, but on her morale. She complains a lot about how fresh and bad kids are at her school. Not all kids, but with over 2000 middle schoolers I am guessing there is a lot going on that the teachers can't catch.

Since we also, between the two girls, get home from gym after 9pm five nights a week, it would certainly make life easier too. Currently they get picked up early from school and go right to gym or get off the bus and have 30 mins before gym, depending on the day, get to bed by ten, and then back up for school at 6:20 every day. With 30 kids per class and common core/teaching-to-the-test becoming everything to schools, I think I am ready to make the leap. It is scary though, the idea that their education will be in my hands. I am an educated woman, and able to explain things well (or so I am told), but I am not a teacher, and I would hate to be the one to hinder my kids. I like the idea of independent study through the school system, or online curriculum to fill in any blanks.

Personally, I would leave a fourth grader alone, depending on the kid and the neighborhood, but not for a full work day. There are many homeschool cooperatives here- maybe there are some by you also.

I can totally appreciate that gym is a safe and secure place that is a good influence on our kids. I always say it's worth the money (and I will probably never have top level athletes) because it beats the alternatives of what they could be doing with their time every.single.day. Best of luck in figuring it all out!

I have been considering homeschooling my girls starting next year. With another possible move coming for us next summer, I just think my girls would have more stability if I homeschooled them. My DD in 8th grade is on her 8th school, and it takes a toll. Not on her grades- she has never once brought home less than an A, but on her morale. She complains a lot about how fresh and bad kids are at her school. Not all kids, but with over 2000 middle schoolers I am guessing there is a lot going on that the teachers can't catch.
With 30 kids per class and common core/ teaching-to-the-test becoming everything to schools, I think I am ready to make the leap. It is scary though, the idea that their education will be in my hands. I am an educated woman, and able to explain things well (or so I am told), but I am not a teacher, and I would hate to be the one to hinder my kids. I like the idea of independent study through the school system, or online curriculum to fill in any blanks.
If it makes you feel any better, I was in my 9th school by the 4th grade (when I was still 9)... but 4 schools for 1st grade "helped" that number.
I am a licensed teacher (but not employed yet) and I strongly dislike Common Core! I also hate "teaching to the test" which my local district has done for State tests since well before Common Core came about.
I currently work with 2 students that go to an online public school. They still have to take the State Tests, but they do get to work at their own pace. One of my students is smart, but was struggling with "TEEN DRAMA" in school last year and was falling behind. He was BARELY a sophomore (thanks to HS credit for a few 8th grade classes).
We started him Online at the beginning of September (he moved and the "new" local public school didn't have a plan to get him caught up).

He has ALREADY finished a year of Algebra 1 and is ahead of where his "local" school counterparts are in Geometry. He has ALREADY finished a year of Physical Science and is ahead in Biology. He is in 2nd semester of French, English, and History.
He has done this while working 25-30 hours a week and working on becoming an Eagle Scout and going to youth group every Tuesday evening.

The local school won't start 2nd semester until Jan 20, and he should be through all of his current semesters before then.

To OP, I would wait another year or 2, but I think it is worth it.

We have homeschooled since kindergarten and did it for academics and flexibility, not gymnastics. But it certainly has helped my dd in being able to handle the increased gym hours along the way. It has also allowed our family to spend a lot more time together both on a daily basis and through vacations (much less expensive when you don't have to do it during school breaks).

As for juggling the homeschooling and gym, along with you both working fulltime, you will need to maximize the time you have with your dd for schooling. Homeschoolers tend to like to get together, go on outings, go to the museums, take walks, take a day a week off to do non-traditional schooling things, etc. We have found that we just can't do these things with me working full time and the kids' practice schedules (3 different sports). We let the kids sleep in, start school at 9a, work until around 2p, eat a late lunch as a family, and then we are off to practices (kids) and work (parents). Now, all 3 are in middle school, so the need for structured courses is more important. When they were in elementary grades, we did have a little more time for outings.

By 4th grade, all three of my kids were fairly independent in their studies. We primarily follow a classical approach. I will say, despite being independent on their studies, they still need consistent supervision to stay on task, not take short cuts, etc. My older two are 14 now and are responsible enough to be home alone for long periods of time, but one of us is home almost all the time to keep them on track. Thankfully we have businesses where we can be flexible in our hours.

My advice would be to have a list of sitters you can call on - either other homeschoolers, stay at home moms of younger children, retired adult, or even a drop-off child care center. If this really will happen only about 1-2x/mth, then you could also drop her off at the library, with a special project for her to do - research, read books by a particular author and write an essay on it, etc. Most libraries have rules that allow kids age 8-10+ to be left without a parent to study. However, I would make sure the librarian is aware she will be there for research, and that she is homeschooled so that the librarian doesn't get suspicious and call a truant officer (yes, this happens).

My daughter just is in the third grade and goes to gym 6 days a week. One day is just TOPS and the other 5 days are 4 hour practices. I am thinking about homeschooling next year. She is exhausted with her school and gym schedule. There is a charter school program in my area where she can physically go to school two days a week and then home school three days a week. She is getting to bed between 9:30 and 10 most school nights and it is very difficult getting her up in the morning. She thankfully doesn't have a lot of homework and most is given the Friday before the week and she can get a lot done on the weekends.

I would LOVED to be homeschooled. The things I hear at school are ridiculous! Teenager don't need to talk like that. My school also just went on a 7 period year round schedule that does not work at all!!! I would switch and go back to private school after Christmas but I would not get my credits for my classes if I did. Oh well guess I'll plug my ears

My dd started homeschool in 4th grade and we both love it. She has a great variety of classes -- both online and some local. It's been great for her and our gym schedule. She sleeps a bit more now too which is important for her health and growth and also for gymnastics in that they need time to recover from the strenuous workouts. We don't do public K-12 virtual school but have found many great online classes and have picked those that fit her needs best.

I don't see how you could work full time and homeschool. Teachers undergo years of training to become teachers, and are continuously available during the day to the children to answer questions and supervise learning and to teach. I have seen homeschooling be successful but it has required an enormous amount of time and effort on the part of the parent, and I can't imagine fitting that around a full time job. I think it would be nearly impossible to be everything (full time teacher, full time worker) to a high standard - and why put yourself and her through this if it isn't completely essential?

Last edited:
Teachers undergo years of training to become teachers,
BUT, you know your kids and whether you would be happy and capable of teaching them and whether they would be happy for this to happen.

Some people are just good teachers, with or without training. Some trained teachers are not fantastic. Some trained teachers are completely incapable of teaching their own kids or their kids refuse to be taught by them.

and are continuously available during the day to the children to answer questions and supervise learning and to teach. I have seen homeschooling be successful but it has required an enormous amount of time and effort on the part of the parent, and I can't imagine fitting that around a full time job.
Homeschooling is effectively another job. Don't assume you can fit it around full time work (unless of course you were one of those mothers who managed to work full time from home, with a young child not in childcare, in which case I take my hat off to you and you'll be fine!!!).

Good materials will help enormously, it sounds like people here can recommend local ones. If your child is a responsible independent learner things will be easier.

Some people are just good teachers, with or without training. Some trained teachers are not fantastic. Some trained teachers are completely incapable of teaching their own kids or their kids refuse to be taught by them.
I completely agree. What I wanted to say is that there is more to teaching than just being present whilst kids get on with the learning, and it may be more challenging than first thought to take over this role. Some will take to it naturally, others would really struggle. It is very true that some kids really resent having their parents teach them things (cough cough not me at all, loved it when my non-science teacher mum tried to explain my physics homework to me). It is a path that will work brilliantly for some people and would be a disaster for others, and so definitely requires careful thought about available resources and options.

Are K12 public online schools an option in your area? If you're serious about homeschooling, I would look into that option. Sign up early though. The program provides teacher support and curriculum. We tried online schools for a couple years, but mine really missed the socialization (and she has lots of good friends at the gym). We're back to public schools now. I miss the schedule flexibility of home schooling! I wouldn't do it just because of gymnastics though. It requires a different type of commitment from a family and child.

I have no experience in home-schooling kids so I can't comment on that.

I do think you should probably make friends with other parents, both in the home-school circle and the gym. If you want your daughter to progress through the sport, other parents will provide a valuable network of support and information. Remember that many of them will be vastly experienced and understanding of what it means to be the parent of a talented kid and having friendships in that setting will make all of it easier for you. I imagine the same to be true of home-schooling.

I have worked from home and still do. I can't imagine what it would be like to attempt to do it full-time with kids about, let alone a child you are home-schooling. If it works for you, that's great. But I do agree with what Maleficent said further up. If it was me, I think I would feel like I was a 'Jack of all trades and a master of none'.

I spent a good deal of time with my husband researching this last night.

Well the good news is, virtual K-12 is actually an option here plus it has enough support from the local school district that there are teachers employed that are specifically for the virtual programs. I think they are available for questions and also there are tests and assignments that are starred by the district (?) or maybe the K-12 program itself that are turned in and these teacher assign grades etc. They also make recommendations as to whether a student should repeat a lesson or move on. Records are also kept by the district. Speaking with the secretary or whomever answered the phone at the school district yesterday afternoon they are aware that this is an option chosen by a lot of families due to "certain situations" with the schools that they are currently trying to address. They even even gave us a link to a sample math and history lesson for us to try at home, it went well I let my daughter do them and we stood there and watched and she seems to be able to even work through her questions by using the program.

I also posted on my Facebook where I have a lot of homeschooling families as friends, especially from our church. Apparently our Church also puts out a curriculum that keeps records (and is accredited so in high school they get real credits and receive a diploma) that is also listed as acceptable in my state. I received a lot of supportive posts from other home school parents that use this curriculum and state they would be willing to help me if need be. There are also several commercial tutoring centers in town if I really get stuck (Kumon, etc.). Also our town has a home school cooperative, I did not know that and not sure of all the ins and outs but that is another resource no matter what method curriculum that I would use.

I am not 100% set on it yet but I plan on talking more to local parents and some that private messaged me on this board to keep exploring what would work.

As far as making friends at the gym that has proven rather challenging. I am not really one to just walk up to someone and start a conversation. The one gym parent (dad) that my husband and I connected with was an original situation. We were watching a particularly good practice with my DD and she hit 4 skills that practice that she had been working hard on. The first skill we were excited and my husband and I enthused in our seats about how excited she looked on the mat to had hit it.(this dad happened to be sitting right next to us) The second skill we clapped and were really happy. The third skill we were clapping and I was in happy tears at how excited my daughter looked out there and when I turned this man was clapping with us and saying congratulations. (not something that happens a lot at our gym unfortunately) And by the 4th skill she hit, this one on bars even, he was sharing with us about how he and his son celebrate when he hits a skill especially on rings which is the hardest event for his son. The next practice we were there he sought us out. He and we have been sitting together ever since. I have not really connected with the girls team parents yet, first because of my bashfulness and second because my daughter is still new so we are viewed with a certain type of suspicion. I have learned the hard way this is just how it is in this lifestyle so instead of beating myself up about it I will just wait till a breakthrough happens with them also.

Either way, a lot of prayers and careful discussion is going on about whether to home school or not next year. This also has included conversations with her current and past teachers. I want to thank everyone that has given their opinion as it is helping to make the picture a little clearer :)

I find it very sad that it's the culture at your new gym that new parents are viewed with suspicion! We always made an effort to seek out new parents and include them in everything.

I did make friends the most at meets though--not practices. If you feel up to it--look for team parents at the next meet, walk up to them and introduce yourself, say 'you're Susie's parents, aren't you?" or "I'm sorry, we're so new, I haven't had a chance to get to know the parents yet. Who is your daughter?" then ask if you can sit by them. If they're a$$es then you can avoid them next time and try someone else!

Some of this conversation is in my professional sandbox.

If you are going to explore online education, please do your research thoroughly. It is difficult to find an online program that can reach the standard of engagement and pedagogy that face-to-face education achieves. I don't believe it can be done well asynchronously and without a highly qualified and trained professional instructor. Check closely on the formats and the backgrounds of the instructors. Some of these programs are basically large vacuum cleaners primarily designed to empty your wallet while making you feel good about your child's educational "achievements." The world out there is inadequately regulated in most states, and too many state legislators are in the pockets of for-profit educational companies. There are no real remedies for a bad product either -- by the time you realize you've been ripped off, what can they do to make it right for the year or more of educational content that your child has not adequately mastered?

Proceed, if you plan to proceed, with EXTREME caution.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back