Homeschooling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Someone mentioned to me that if your child is an elite or in that category, that USA Gymnastic will assist in paying for homeschooling for the gymnast. Anyone ever heard of that happening and if so who do I contact about this. Again , I am not sure about this , but this is what someone read a while back.

Someone mentioned to me that if your child is an elite or in that category, that USA Gymnastic will assist in paying for homeschooling for the gymnast. Anyone ever heard of that happening and if so who do I contact about this. Again , I am not sure about this , but this is what someone read a while back.

can't say I've ever heard of this, but if it's true I would suspect there would be something on the USAG site on it. Have you don'e a search there yet?

Sorry, but not true.
Only National Team Members get some money for training, travel, gymnastics related stuff - but schooling, homeschooling or otherwise, is not paid for in any part by USAG.

Some states offer a free virtual school(online). Check with your state department of education. In my state, there is a virtual high school, but no elementary or middle school. There is also k12.com. You have to pay for that one though.

I don't know what state you are in but they may offer cyber charter schools. We live in Pennsylvania and my daughter just finished 5th grade thought a charter virtual school. They used the k12 curriculum and the school provided the computer, printer and books she needed. She also had teachers that held online classes and I was more of academic support to her rather than a full teacher. The younger the child, the more involvement the parent needs to put in. The were outings we went to and we even had a field day. We both really liked the program and I'm going to miss it but she really wants to go to the local middle school.

Sorry, but not true.
Only National Team Members get some money for training, travel, gymnastics related stuff - but schooling, homeschooling or otherwise, is not paid for in any part by USAG.

for clarification. when you are on the national team you receive a salary. salaries are dependant on your ranking and vary from year to year. if you personally take the money then you have a professional.

if you invoice national office for things like medical deductibles, physical therapy, tuitions and fees and equipment, and "tutoring" [homeschooling] these invoices are paid to the athlete's family and they pay the vendor. this keeps them in an 'amateur' status. the athletes are allowed to use this money in furtherance of being a national team member with an amateur status.

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back