Homework & Training long hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jumeriah

Proud Parent
my daughter has just started Year 7. She is currently in level 5 and they train 17hrs a week. We are trying to work out juggling homework assignments etc. she doesn't want to quit gym she loves it but is worried on how she will juggle it all. Any tips please?

Talk to your coaches. They're very understanding. Maybe your daughter could do homework when she finishes assignments or on her best event.

Does her school offer any sort of study hall option? or exemption from Phys ed? My DD is too young for this issue right now, but when I was in 8th grade, I started competing with an elite track club outside of school. My mom went in and spoke to the counselor about it and they got me an exemption from PE and I used an "elective" time for a study hall. Having that extra time IN school to do my homework helped a TON. Especially if they can put them later in the day so she already has most of her homework assigned for the day. The other thing is to ask if the teachers are willing to give the homework for the week up front so that your child can self-manage when she does everything.

If in a non religious school opt for non sre and use that period for homework.

Year 7 maths - try to get it done in class.

Use some of lunch time - though need to balance that with making friends - so important in Year 7.

Plan, plan, plan. Use the school diary or a big piece of paper and make sure she has everything on it and work out when everything is due and use night off/weekend well.

The beginning of year 7 can seem daunting but we've found the homework slows and they get into a rhythm with it. You're probably getting more short time frame things now like cover pages. Mostly homework becomes more assignment based other than maths.

Homework amounts shouldn't be unmanageable so speak to the school if they are.

Thanks ladies.. she's so upset as she doesn't want to quit gym but it's week one of yr 7 and she's overwhelmed. I'm going to talk to the year advisor and see if she can get an exemption from sport and also religion classes ( she's in a public school so that should be fine)

I have one of the girls in the national squad who is in year 10 going to sit down with her next week and tell her how she juggles it all.

Remember it's week one and very daunting full stop. It really does get easier quickly.
Tell her to hang in there.
Speaking to the older girl should help.
Also she's level 5 so probably doesn't have any comps for a few months. (Don't know what state you are in). If she is overwhelmed take a night off gym or leave an hour early. (If she is getting more than an hours worth then speak to the year advisor - I complained when my eldest had tones of assignments in year 7 over the first Easter holiday - hasn't happened again :)

OzZee. That's what I told her. I gave her the week odd gym so she can just take it slow and get organized etc. We are in NSW and she has a state qualifying Comp on Sunday March 26th.

I'm spoke to the shear advisor last year at orientation and he was good he said they will support her. So I'll get a hold of him today.

[emoji16][emoji106]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back