Hopes Program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello Everyone:

My daughter recently returned from the TOPs training camp at the National Training Center. She had a great time and even did some serious training. The coaches at the camp convinced my dd's own coach that dd should do the Hopes program. Now, our coach/director has to convince the gym's owner to give the go ahead.

I am not totally confident that our owner will give this go-ahead. The program would require additional training and would involve another 3 to 4 hours a week. Dd's coach envisions adding an extra 3 to 4 hours to dd's present schedule in the form of an extra day of class. Traditionally, we have needed at least 3 to 4 girls to form a class. But in this instance, my daughter would be the only one in the class. I am sure that the owner's bean counters would be looking at the cost, allocation of coaching hours etc. to see if this class would be worth it to our gym. Our gym is trying to recapture its former tradition of being an elite gym. So my argument to convince the owner would be that you start with one person in spite any any additional costs and build from there.

My daughter, who is 11 and is entering level eight, trains 25 hours a week over five days and has two 'advanced skills' privates for another 2&1/2 hours, mainly on bars and vault. We plan to add another private with another coach to work on beam and floor. An additional class of 3 hours would bring her total of hours to 31&1/2hours. Finally, her coach director plans to move her to level nine after one or two level eight meets.

Can anyone out there offer some advice on a pre-elite Hopes training schedules'
and some thoughts on the number of hours of training? My daughter is doing well with her present schedule of 27 &1/2. She is a straight A student and a well adusted and well rounded person. We believe she could take on the extra hours but we would nevertheless watch her closely. Moreover, she really wants to do this. If she were not so enthusiastic ,I wouldn't even consider it.

I don't expect dd to score quite as well at level nine as she might have as a level eight or as high as she was used to scoring as a level seven. I talked to dd about this, thinking she might prefer to evolve and advance more slowly from level to level. However, she seems realy motivated to do the Hopes program so my inclination is to let her do it.

I would appreciate any advice.

Tuduri

Considering she is already coming in a lot of hours, what is it to say she could not just come in and practice the conditioning drills. Are they the same in Hopes as in Tops? I'm familiar with the TOPS testing but can't remember if they certain beam, bars, and tumbling complexes/routines like the Men's Future Stars.

Perhaps, if you are willing you could also have a coach do a private with her for an hour for any of the TOPS skill training besides the conditioning sets.

Just brainstorming here. I know our Team Directors does TOPS on saturdays and has looked into HOPES, but we are not there yet as our team is still in a building stage, as is our gym.

hopes

I made a mistake in adding up the number of hours my dd practices. She does 23 hours a week over five practices. She does 2 & 1/2 hours of privates. The privates are mostly on bars and vault. The total is 25 and 1/2 hours. The Hopes class would be 3 to 4 hours a week but we would have to give up our 1 and 1/2 hour private. So the total would be 27 to 28 hours of training.

Tuduri

I suppose your dd is in about 6th grade. Just be careful that she doesn't burn out. I speak from experience with my dd. She is 13 and a level 10 now. The constant training and lack of social activities pulled my dd away from the elite scene. She loves being a level 10. She says she has a life again! Hopes wasn't quite started when she went to A Camp as a 9 and 10 yo. If your dd wants to give it a shot, and you have very deep pockets, than go for it. It sounds like you may already be spending a small fortune on tuition and additional lessons anyway.
Oh yea, one other thing. Just watch out for overuse injuries. Your dd is just getting ready to start puberty and there are still a lot of open growth plates all over her body. Excess stress on the joints can lead to severe pain/stress fractures.
In a nutshell, if you can afford it and she really wants to give it a shot-Go For It! Just remember that it is a long, hard road that is brutal on the body. Besides, she can always drop back to 10 if she decides it's too much. A lot of elites do this and have great success. Good luck it whatever she decides to do.:eek:

27-28 hours a week is not exsessive for an 11 year old as long as she is showing that she loves the sport. If she starts to say things like "I just don't want to go to training today" or mentions wanting to quit this may be a sign that the hours are too much for her. Every child is different and what works for one 11 year old won't nessesarily work for another. But if the drive is coming from her, then thats ok.

Does she have a supportive school? Do they recognise the number of hours she is doing and are understanding in area's like homework. Kids who high level gymnastics at a young age are generally very intelligent, hard working and committed kids and are usually capable of achieving higher grades with less work.

It is also important to ensure she gets rest and rekaxation time, time to be with friends and family or on her own to do her own thing.

When considering hopes, I would be considering the real possibilities for her future. Is she elite material? Could she one day represent her country, be on the national team, compete at the olympics or world championships? If the answer realistically is no, then pushing her up through the levels too fast can be detrimental. It may be better to hold her at 8 and let her score well and win and move her up slowly to level 9 and 10. You do not want to burn her out of gymnastics, she could later on end up with a college scholarship. If, however, the answer is realistacally yes. The her gym should be doing all they can to support her in this, even if it means the added expense. If you daughter has this talent and both you and her want to go down this roud, you may need to look into other gyms. It is easier for the girls to progress if they have other elite girls to work with.

Thanks for all the information.

Presently we are remaining in level eight. We are awaiting the arrival of Alexander Tkatchev, our new coach, on 1/10/08. He will have a lot to say about how we will proceed. Fortunately, dd's school is cooperating with us and dd is a good student and is well rounded. I personally want her to do well in level eight and enjoy some success without any pressure of moving up. But dd is very motivated and I won't hold her back if she really wants to go for it. I have been told by several elite coaches that dd has the potential to become elite in maybe two more years or so. We'll see what our gym decides to do in the next month or so. They have promised me a special class to prepare dd for Hopes. We'll see. In the meantime we will keep in mind all the good advice we've received on this forum.

thanks again,

Tuduri.

"Presently we are remaining in level eight. We are awaiting the arrival of Alexander Tkatchev, our new coach, on 1/10/08"

How wonderful for your gym & your daughter. If I recall correctly your gym has been in limbo for a while regarding a head coach. This sounds like it could be a very positive fit for your daughters current level and future. Good luck.

Head Coach

Ingymmom:

We have been wandering in the wilderness for too long and we hope Tkatchev will lead us to the promised land.

We have one great level eight gymnast who was having problems with her flyaway dismount. This girl is a genius on the bars. She learned how to do a Jaeger in less than one hour. But she couldn't do a flyaway. It was psychological, of course. Tkatchev waived his majic wand and the gymnast, within two days, was doing perfect flyaways.

My own daughter's bars routine is already good. Her giant flyaway is awesome. I just hope Tkatchev can lend his mojo to her Yurchenko vault. So far, it seems to be improving with his help... he has only been with us for five practices.

My dd's first level eight meet is this weekend at the Coaches Spectacular in Covington, Kentucky(Hosted by Cincinnati Gymnastics)

Tuduri

It sounds like your daughter is heading in the right direction, just keep her safe (physically and mentally) and it should all work out.

"We are awaiting the arrival of Alexander Tkatchev, our new coach, on 1/10/08"

Hasn't Tkachev lived in Northern California for a year or two now?

Tkatchev

lannamavity:

I believe he was coaching in San Mateo before he came to our gym. Before that he was at the Hopes Gym in Southern Cal. In the past he has coached in Russia and in France. Tkatchev seems to be communicating well with our girls and has already had a significant impact on the bars skills of one of our optionals. Now he needs to work some majic on my daughter's Yurchenko. Sometimes she hits it perfectly. Other times it's just off....Consistency, I guess.

Tuduri

lannamavity:

I believe he was coaching in San Mateo before he came to our gym. Before that he was at the Hopes Gym in Southern Cal. In the past he has coached in Russia and in France. Tkatchev seems to be communicating well with our girls and has already had a significant impact on the bars skills of one of our optionals. Now he needs to work some majic on my daughter's Yurchenko. Sometimes she hits it perfectly. Other times it's just off....Consistency, I guess.

Tuduri

I'm gonna guess that's "New Hope" in SoCal

Tkatchev

Right, I believe it was 'New Hopes'.... West Valley Gymnastics(WVGS) in Campbell, CA is "Sasha's"new home. It's next to San Jose. It's Amy Chow's old gym. Mark Young is the owner. We have a very large compulsory program. Our current optional program has really been depleted. But we have about 11 or 12 talented girls coming up to level 7 who will compete next winter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back