Anon HOPES training - what to expect?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (dc7e)

Does anyone have information or experiences they can share about their DD's HOPES training path? I.e. what to expect in terms of rigor, competitions, expense etc. My DD was invited to join a HOPES track at her gym and we haven't committed yet, just looking for more information about others experiences, questions I should be asking, etc. Thanks!

DD16 qualified HOPES at age 12. She competed in a few smaller meets but never made it to the national stage. Focused on level 10 since. Happy to help if you have any more specific questions!

DD16 qualified HOPES at age 12. She competed in a few smaller meets but never made it to the national stage. Focused on level 10 since. Happy to help if you have any more specific questions!
Thank you! I do have some specific questions:
- I know it will be harder but how much harder is it and do you have any advice regarding that?
- How did your DD feel about the experience? I've tried to read up on this online and feels like a mixed bags. For some kids, it really got them ready for a high level of gymnastics but for others, seemed like total burnout.
- How do the competitions work - i.e. does the gym do the compulsory scores and then the optional meets are at one of the HOPES classics?

I'm not even sure what I need to be asking at this point, but am just curious about how the experience was for others.

Thank you! I do have some specific questions:
- I know it will be harder but how much harder is it and do you have any advice regarding that?
- How did your DD feel about the experience? I've tried to read up on this online and feels like a mixed bags. For some kids, it really got them ready for a high level of gymnastics but for others, seemed like total burnout.
- How do the competitions work - i.e. does the gym do the compulsory scores and then the optional meets are at one of the HOPES classics?

I'm not even sure what I need to be asking at this point, but am just curious about how the experience was for others.
I can't really talk about high level, elite track training. DD was offered a place in the HOPES/ELITE track. They train an extra 2 sessions weekly, during school hours. We opted out of one of those as I wanted her to keep up with school as well. We didn't really plan on her going elite, just doing our feet in to see where she would get to. She was training 24 hours a week at that point.
So she got the compulsory and optional scores a day apart in a large qualifier meet. Though you can often get the compulsory qualifier at many smaller registered meets. DD competed at 2 competitions in the HOPES division that session but didn't make the nationals score. We could have gone to classics but opted out in favour of her first level 10 nationals.
Happy for her that she had the experience but we pulled out are that season as she was beginning an elbow injury. She has been happy at level 10 since and it's too much of a jump to make it to elite without training 30+ hours a week. DD is really happy to have done that extra workout and had the experience. I think the extra attention helped with her form on a lot of skills going forward.
My youngest daughter is 9 and beginning to train HOPES after regionals. She competed level 7 this year but has all her level 9 skills already besides the vault... Just so you have an idea what level other kids are on.
Hope that answered some questions, happy to answer more!

I can't really talk about high level, elite track training. DD was offered a place in the HOPES/ELITE track. They train an extra 2 sessions weekly, during school hours. We opted out of one of those as I wanted her to keep up with school as well. We didn't really plan on her going elite, just doing our feet in to see where she would get to. She was training 24 hours a week at that point.
So she got the compulsory and optional scores a day apart in a large qualifier meet. Though you can often get the compulsory qualifier at many smaller registered meets. DD competed at 2 competitions in the HOPES division that session but didn't make the nationals score. We could have gone to classics but opted out in favour of her first level 10 nationals.
Happy for her that she had the experience but we pulled out are that season as she was beginning an elbow injury. She has been happy at level 10 since and it's too much of a jump to make it to elite without training 30+ hours a week. DD is really happy to have done that extra workout and had the experience. I think the extra attention helped with her form on a lot of skills going forward.
My youngest daughter is 9 and beginning to train HOPES after regionals. She competed level 7 this year but has all her level 9 skills already besides the vault... Just so you have an idea what level other kids are on.
Hope that answered some questions, happy to answer more!
That's all very helpful information - thanks so much!

My daughter trained and competed in hopes for 3 years. It's a lot. Mentally, physically, financially. She only trained about 4 hours more than the level 10s but she had to get pulled out of school early everyday and she missed a lot of school due to travel for qualifiers and camps. She was very successful in hopes (placed 4th and 2nd in the hopes championships) and then went on to qualify as a junior elite before ultimately deciding that wasn't the route for her. She went back to level 10 and I've never seen her happier or more successful. She's committed to OU on a full athletic scholarship. Happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back