Hours per week

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone,
just wondering how many hours you/your kids train each week, for what age and level?
My DD is level 2 (comp season is over, so learning level 3 skills ATM) and trains around 12 hours each week. But here, level 2 kids are older than they seem to be in the US - she's 9 and the youngest in her group of level 2s. (Not by much though, they're all pretty much 9 or 10).
She did 5 hours a week last year as a level 1.

Is there a standard amount of hours gymnasts do at a particular age or level?

How many hours per week at each level varies widely by gym
Beth is a level 8--she's 11 yr. During summer she went 20 hrs a week, but during the school year she'll go 16 hrs (next year as a level 9, she'll go 20 hrs year round).
We don't have a level 2 team here--team starts at level 4 for our gym--I think they go 9 hrs a week

Our level 3's and 4's do 9 hours, level 5's and 6's do 12 hours, level 7's,8's, and 9's do 16 hours (from what I've read, our level 9 is similar to US level 10) and our National girls train 20 hours.

Bean is 10 (will compete as 11 as she's a 1998 baby) She's training levels 8 and 9, hoping to compete 9, but looking far more ready for 8.

Last edited:
Our girls that are about L2/L3 would train 5 hours a week, though I know we have some that do 2 hours. About L3 and up can compete here in regional competitions.

My youngest is L4/L5 ish, hard to really compare, she trains 9-11 hours depending. She's 10.

Oldest is L6/L7 ish, she trains 9 hours and competes regionally, they have a cap on the number of hours trained to keep things balanced. She's just 13.

At our gym the most you can train is 11 hours, unless you get privates as the gym is so compact!

Last edited:
Lets see my DD is L7 and 12yo for the summer she is there 20 hours + we do 2 hours of privates.

The hours of practice is not age dependent but Level dependend. Let me see if I can remember what the hours are.

We don't do L 1 - 3 but we do have pre team (like an advanced rec class but with the focus being moving to team) The ages are the average ages but they can be older.

Hot Shots ( 2 and 3 yo) - 2 days a week at 3 hours
Bronze level - have 2 options either 1 day a week at 3 hours or 2 days a week at 6 hours
Silver level (4 and 5yo)- 2 days a week at 6 hours
Gold level (5 and 6yo) - 3 days a week at 9 hours

L4 - 3 days a week at 9 hours + they can sign up for an optional day which give them 3 more hours

L5 - 3 days a week at 12 hours + they can sign up for an optional day which gives them 3 more hours.

L 6 and Optional L 7 - L10 - 4 days a week 16 hours in the fall 20 hours in the summer + usually these levels do privates

Hi everyone,
just wondering how many hours you/your kids train each week, for what age and level?
My DD is level 2 (comp season is over, so learning level 3 skills ATM) and trains around 12 hours each week. But here, level 2 kids are older than they seem to be in the US - she's 9 and the youngest in her group of level 2s. (Not by much though, they're all pretty much 9 or 10).
She did 5 hours a week last year as a level 1.

Is there a standard amount of hours gymnasts do at a particular age or level?

My dd is a L7 and goes 20 hours per week

Tracy

I am a level 6, 14 years old and we train 12 hours a week. Our level 4's and 5's ages range from 8-12 and they train 10 hours a week.

I am level 10/elite and I train 42 hours a week year round. 7 hours a day, 6 days a week.

My dd is 10 years old, a level A for Mason Dixon, and practices 7 hours a week. Last year she trained at level 4 for Mason Dixon for 11 hrs a week.

My dd is a Level 6, 7 yrs old and trains 20 hrs a week during the summer and 16 hrs once school starts. They are adding an optional fifth day, but I think we will decline. 20 hrs seems like too much during the school year.

My DD is Level 4 (NZ) and trains 15 hours - last year in Level 3 she trained 12 hours. BTW she is 9 yrs old and trains with some 10-11yr olds. Its difficult to compare USA competitive levels to Australian as their system is very different.

My dd is a Level 6, 7 yrs old and trains 20 hrs a week during the summer and 16 hrs once school starts. They are adding an optional fifth day, but I think we will decline. 20 hrs seems like too much during the school year.

Megley---I think you're making a smart decision there. Let her have some down time. It is alot with school and gym!

My gymmie is in 8th grade---trained 19 hours/week during the summer and now that school has started is doing 20 hours/week. Go figure that one out! I haven't.

Our pre-team girls (L3) train 4 hrs a week. Our compulsories train 12 hrs a week (except for the younger and fast-track kids), and our optionals train 22 hrs/week. Big jump, huh?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back