hours?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

:p Hello everybodyy,
i was wondering if i do enough hours...
1. i'm a prep-op intermediate gymnast
2. i go 9 hours a week (most girls on my team go 6 though)
3.i have had pretty decent scores all year. my highest was a 9.6
do i have enough time in the gym? or should i be working more? i'm only asking because i have recently heard that a lot of other gyms have been going about 20 hours a week, and i'm concerned that i won' be able t do very well against them at competitions...

ta-ta for now! thanks in advance for your help! :D

If you are getting good scores and your coaches are happy I would say you're doing enough. Your coach would tell you if you weren't.

THere's really no way we can answer that for you; your coach would be the best person to ask!

Prep opts in my state are only allowed to practice 2x/week. The girls who practice 20 hours/week are most likely competing USAG.

I coach some USAG girls that train significantly less than 9 hours/week (like 3-5 hours/week). If you are working hard and efficiently during the hours you are there and doing well at meets, it sounds like 9 hours is just fine. But I know as a gymnast I always envied the gyms that got to train mega hours because I wanted all the time in the gym I could get.

okay thanks guys! and coachmolly i have always evied those girls too. i was going to talk to the head coach about going more hours if nessicary but i guess 9 is great! thanks so much guys!

I think my daughter went about 9-12 hrs in prep op.Sounds like you are getting great scores with the hours you practice.You don't want to burn yourself out.

I am a level 7/8 and I only go 10 hours a week. I still score between 8.9 - 9.5. i think that as long as you work hard and pay attention 9 hours is plenty. We also take no breaks other then water breaks (witch are very fast like 1 min.) so we get more work done then other gym's who take 15 minutes breaks 3-4 times a practice.

Last edited:
I am a level 7/8 and I only go 10 hours a week. I still score between 8.9 - 9.5. i think that as long as you work hard and pay attention 9 hours is plenty. We also take no breaks other then water breaks (witch are very fast like 1 min.) so we get more work done then other gym's who take 15 minutes breaks 3-4 times a practice.

Hey! im a seven with like 16 or 18 hrs a week and we dont take 15min breaks in the middle of practce! wehave a 2 min water break after each event. but still just stay focused and keep working you'll do fine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back