Parents How accessible are your coaches?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have been at our gym for 2 years. You can watch your gymnast through the windows at practice, but you can't hear anything going on and of course, you don't disturb practice. The first year, my daughter did rec. gymnastics and every 3 months the coaches had a ceremony for the kids. Each gymnast was awarded a ribbon with a designated title on it...such as "hardest worker", "best all around", "best attitude", etc.....Upon each award given, the coach would say a little something about the gymnast, which was good to hear. It gave the parents somewhat of an update on the gymnast's progress. After the year of rec. gymnastics, my daughter was asked to join the L3 team. Of course, we were elated! After she joined and I had a little time with some of the other gym parents, I found out that our gym's team was being "rebuilt", so to speak and that the coaches were new to the gym(the owners have been coaching for 30 plus years). There had been a L3 team the year before, but they didn't compete. So now with a few more additions, including my daughter, they were getting the L3 team ready for competitions. 3 months passed of diligent practice watching, and the coaches were completely inaccessible. As in, they didn't come out to speak to parents during breaks(which I understand) and they made a point of not coming out of the gym until practice was over and most of the parents had left. After talking to some of the other parents, I found out that this was the norm for our coaches. And if you try to stick around long enough after practice until they exit the gym, you basically have to fight off the overbearing Moms and Dads that want to know "when their daughter makes it to level 5, where will the meets be" and other ridiculous questions. I would just like an update every couple of months. A year later of diligent practice watching, and I still haven't gotten one single update from the coaches. Sure, I can see progress in my daughter through her meets, but I would also like to hear about other aspects, i.e. attitude, etc. I don't want to take up too much of their time, just a few simple questions. Is this too much to ask for? Since our gym's team is fairly new, there is no kind of booster or parent club for team members. There are no coach meetings with the parents. Basically, any info the coaches want us to know is posted on a sheet of paper in the lobby. I think a lot of the issues have to do with these 3 things 1. It's a small gym. 2. The team program is fairly new. 3. The coaches are new to this facility. Taking all of this into consideration, I understand. But is it too much to ask for to have a sit down with the coach for a few minutes of her time? Or is this normal and I find it odd because I'm new to this? Any input is greatly appreciated! Oh and BTW, I love our coaches and so does my daughter. It's nothing against them personally, and I know they are very busy.

I think that this is true of the sport in general. I am a parent, I did gymnastics as a child and I did coach a bit too so have seen the sport from all sides. You are lucky in your gym that you can see practice - a lot of times over here ther are no viewing areas and whilst Pink and Fluffy's coaches are very approachable its usually aquick word on when the next comp is etc.

I know it would add an extra burden on already underpaid staff, but I do think a termly report, much like they get in school would really help parents understand the progress their children are making, especially since they may not show obvious improvements in skills all the time.

'Margo

I think a termly report sounds great! Like in school. And I do realize how lucky we are to be able to watch. I've seen other gyms where there is no viewing area/no way to watch. my4buffaloes- calling is no good because it just rings to the receptionist that only answers billing questions. And the coaches do not get to the gym until 3pm everyday and they are busy with classes until 830 at night. Although, I do like your idea of setting up a time to talk briefly. Maybe I should ask to schedule a time? Maybe the coach could come a little early one day?

Completely normal! It is nice they did the updates every 3 months in the rec program, that is unusual. But our coaches are accessible , I have their emails, phone numbers and as FB friends. I can always text them quick questions, etc.. They really only come out of the way to say something, if there was a really bad or really good day. If I have a question, especially about a meet or something, I walk right in the gym owners office and ask. A lot of times, I can get answers from him before the coaches .

Our coaches are very accessible. Before practice they will stop in to just say hi and see if there are any problems. During practice, they are out in the gym, and not accessible, but they almost always stop in the lobby between workouts to talk about any issues, questions, etc. Parents can watch as much or as little of practice as they want. The head coach also answers emails very quickly, and will send one if there has been an issue that he hasn't talked to a parent about. He gives parents his cell phone number at the parent meeting so we can text if we need to. He even encourages parents to "nag" him, as he admits he forgets to follow through sometimes and needs to be nagged. LOL! I never realized how lucky we were until I started reading here.

We send an email to the gym to set up a conference. We give them an idea what our questions are and they arrange to have the necessary coaches attend. They usually set up the meeting for after a practice. Works very well. :D

Well, I've figured out one of our problems.....we(parents) don't have any of the coaches info. No phone numbers or email. The only "contact" info any of us have is the front office's email and phone number, which just goes to the billing lady. However, maybe I could ask our coach for her email. I would be satisfied with email "chat" as I don't want to take that much of her time. But I am gathering from most of the comments that what I am feeling is quite normal. Thanks everyone!!!

Our coaches are accessible, usually email or through the office. Have you tried asking the office if you can schedule a brief meeting just to get your daughter's progress? Since I work at the gym, I pretty much know what's going on with my DD, but parents that drop off, or aren't around as much will email or just directly call the HC for updates. Very rarely do parents take advantage of having the HC's personal number, but I remember one person who called her at 5:30 AM to ask if she'd gotten meet info yet. I can imagine people like that making some coaches hesitant to give out their personal info.

At our current gym and at our old gym the coaches would walk the kids out and at least give each parent a quick update, "she is struggling with her splits, have her stretch at home" or "she had a great attitude today" or "I'm not sure what was up today, his head wasn't in it". Just something quick. When the kids were rec at the old gym I did not have their coachs' contact information; but as soon as they started on team the coaches gave that and wanted a call if they would miss practice or if something was up. At the current gym, I have phone numbers for all of their coaches and the coaches have my number. They have called to discuss stuff if there wasn't time at practice. The girl's coaches do come out and also give the brief comment on how practice went. They often will tell the group if there is something everyone needs to know. DS's coach doesn't come out and talk to the group as often; but he does from time to time.

Moxiegrl83: I do believe this is probably why our coaches are hesitant to give numbers/emails. I know some parents that would call them constantly and I don't blame the coaches for not giving out their info. I am present at all practices and have attempted to approach the coach, only to get shuffled to the back of the "parent line" by a few of the other parents, then I just give up. I like your suggestion of talking to someone in the office. I will try that out and see if I can get something scheduled that way. Thanks!
2G1B: That's what I would like.....just a few words at the end of practice on the way out or a group meeting.
Thanks!!

I love our coaches actually !

We have TV monitors that we can watch the kids in the gym and on Friday evenings when it is only the team we can go in during the last 1/2 hour and watch the kids... which is awesome, I just love it :)

The coaches come out and let us know that the girls learned a new skill or they are doing real well... whatever. Also, the kids come out and get mom, dad who ever is there to come into the gym so they can show off :)

Last summer, after our intensive training camp... one of the coaches had a BBQ that he invited all the gym kids and their parents (he invited the dancers in the gym but only 1 showed). They had a huge waterslide and food. It was great for the kids to be able to enjoy each others company along with the coaches instead of just work work work.

I love our coaches actually !

We have TV monitors that we can watch the kids in the gym and on Friday evenings when it is only the team we can go in during the last 1/2 hour and watch the kids... which is awesome, I just love it :)

The coaches come out and let us know that the girls learned a new skill or they are doing real well... whatever. Also, the kids come out and get mom, dad who ever is there to come into the gym so they can show off :)

Last summer, after our intensive training camp... one of the coaches had a BBQ that he invited all the gym kids and their parents (he invited the dancers in the gym but only 1 showed). They had a huge waterslide and food. It was great for the kids to be able to enjoy each others company along with the coaches instead of just work work work.

Oh, don't get me wrong.....WE LOVE our coaches tremendously and I know their time is valuable and I appreciate all of their hard work. I would love getting to go in and watch even for 1/2 a hour. That's awesome!! Our coaches did have a swim party during the summer. We went, but at that time, my daughter was in her first week of team practice so we literally knew no one. I made it around to everyone for introductions and had brief conversations(just chit-chat) with the coaches, but at that time there wasn't too much to talk about since my daughter had just started. Maybe this time around during party time, I'll get some one on one coach time ;)

I don't know. I feel like if my daughter was coached by someone lower on the totum pole, I'd feel more comfortable approaching her coach. Her main coach is the HC/gym owner and I know she is crazy busy every moment of every day. During meet season, it is fairly obvious what is going well and what isn't, but we are not supposed to watch practices, so during the summer and leading up to meet season, I can get pretty anxious about what is going on. HC was good about communicating with me when there were problems (anxiety related, as it turned out) but it would be nice to hear about what is going well too. I don't want to grill my DD about what is going on in the gym, but I still want to know! Right now, of course, with the season drawing to a close, the "talk" is all about next year and moving up, especially with the new levels. Word on the street is that the current 7's are being split... some doing "new 7" and some doing 8, but of course that's not official, nor do I have any clue when we will know anything official or in what way we will find out. I don't know if we'll have individual conferences or a group meeting or if DD will just come home one day and say, "I'm training level x!" (DD just doesn't want her training group to be broken up at all.) It's still a pretty new gym, and growing faster than anyone could have predicted, so I think some of this is just "growing pains" and figuring out what works.

Once the kids get to team that really is the norm at least that has been my exprience. usually most team coaches will allow you to make an appointment (usually through the office) to talk about where your child is at a few times a year. At our gym the coaches are really great usually before the meet season begins they send out a little update e-mail as to where our child is at before the meet season begins. If they have concerns during the meet season they will e-mail and meet with you then at the begining of the summer there is a parent meeting with all the coaches available to meet with - you sign up like teacher confrences at school and the talk about the plan for child for the up coming season. We can always make an appointment to talk to coaches any time if we have concerns and we have all the e-mails and cell phone#'s of the coaches of our kids to contact the coaches when we need to. But it is made very clear that phone calls are really for emergencies like your going to be late for a meet or not come to a meet etc. It is also made very clear that parents are NOT to constantly call or e-mail the coaches or that information will no longer be given out. So far no momma drama queens at our gym. But really the coaches we have are really good about making sure parents get information.

At team level especially you have to trust the coaches and know that they will talk to you if there is a need but no news is good news and you can see yourself how your child is doing at the meets.

Our coaches are fairly accessible. Funny thing is I am more comfortable talking to our HC than the actual coach of DD. HC has worked with DD off and on since she was 4 so I guess we have more of a relationship with him. Her actual coach is very nice really and does an excellent job but I have a harder time approaching her. Both of them are always available to answer questions and i try not to abuse it too much.

Our coaches are extremely accessibly. Even our HC/owner comes out after each practice and will hang in the office for a few minutes if anyone wants to talk to her. Often she doesn't even wait for that and will approach a parent or two with a few comments about practice.

We could make appointments if we wanted privacy or to talk about a sensitive matter but as far as frequent updates, we don't have to do anything other than show up. I feel very lucky to have this at our gym because I know that a lot of parents are left in the dark for weeks/months.

Our coaches are extremely accessibly. Even our HC/owner comes out after each practice and will hang in the office for a few minutes if anyone wants to talk to her. Often she doesn't even wait for that and will approach a parent or two with a few comments about practice.

We could make appointments if we wanted privacy or to talk about a sensitive matter but as far as frequent updates, we don't have to do anything other than show up. I feel very lucky to have this at our gym because I know that a lot of parents are left in the dark for weeks/months.

Wow! That is wonderful!! I am envious ;)

We're just in our first year on team but I know in the fall there was a sign-up sheet for coaches' conferences, where parents could sign up for a certain time slot. Because I didn't know any better, I didn't bother to sign up because the times were not convenient for me. I have emailed the head coach for my daughter's group and she is prompt to respond, although it was mostly regarding my daughter having to be late or miss practice. We have a rather large upstairs viewing area in our gym so I can watch as much of the practices as I want, so I have a fairly good idea how she's doing. Basically the only feedback I've gotten is a "she is doing great!" at the end of an email response. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back