Parents How accessible are your coaches?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There is no parent viewing area at our gym for team kids. The coaches rarely come out to talk to the parents after practice. We do have the coach's email so that is the best way to communicate. They also have parent meetings every few months. The no-viewing thing is frustrating sometimes, but I've reluctantly gotten used to it. I can see why they do it and it is probably good. A few video cams might not hurt tho, or the occasional invite to watch a teeny bit. Last I saw was an hour presentation they did right before Christmas.

DD's coaches are very accessible. We have their cell phone numbers and I can text them any time I have a question, concern, stupid thought ;-). They will also randomly text me asking if DD told me this or that, how is she feeling etc. I guess we are pretty lucky in that aspect.

My daughter's coaches are not all that accessible. Emails are often ignored and/or responses delayed. After practice the coaches typically vanish from the gym (leaving the impression that they're avoiding parents). Once a year, in early fall, each gymnast receives a summary of their accomplishments and a brief road map indicating what level she will be competing (I've observed that these reports are not always reliable in that girls may not move up to the level indicated). Coaches will meet with parents if you make a formal appointment and there is a viewing area that provides an excellent view of the training facility.

As far as my personal experience is concerned, I have rarely gotten verbal feedback from the coaches regarding my daughter. The only time they've spoken to me face-to-face was during last summer. My daughter was moved into a higher track group but as soon as she made the transition all communications halted. Meet season is nearly over and I have a vague understanding that she'll be moving up a level next season (only because her group seems to be moving in that direction).

Communication varies at our gym. Sometimes her coach will come out after practice and speak for a bit. If I have a question I try to catch him. We were told to email any questions to the team coordinator who would find out for us and get back to us. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't. We also have all team coaches cell numbers. I have only called her coach once and that is when I was freaking out because we were in Kansas City and I couldn't find the meet facility. I usually text him to let him know if she is sick and going to miss practice. The other day, he stayed 20 minutes after practice ended to work with my dd so I texted him to thank him. Didn't get a response on that but that's OK, I just wanted to let him know I appreciated it.

We will have a meeting when the current season is over, and then should have an idea where the girls are headed. We do have a viewing area upstairs and can see as many practices as we want, so I have never a problem knowing what is going on.

I think everyone should be have a way to have feedback on how their daughter/ son is doing. Be it email, text, verbal conversation in person or on the phone.........I think as parents we all deserve that. :) And we pay a lot of money for it lol!

My daughter's coaches are not all that accessible. Emails are often ignored and/or responses delayed. After practice the coaches typically vanish from the gym (leaving the impression that they're avoiding parents). Once a year, in early fall, each gymnast receives a summary of their accomplishments and a brief road map indicating what level she will be competing (I've observed that these reports are not always reliable in that girls may not move up to the level indicated). Coaches will meet with parents if you make a formal appointment and there is a viewing area that provides an excellent view of the training facility.

As far as my personal experience is concerned, I have rarely gotten verbal feedback from the coaches regarding my daughter. The only time they've spoken to me face-to-face was during last summer. My daughter was moved into a higher track group but as soon as she made the transition all communications halted. Meet season is nearly over and I have a vague understanding that she'll be moving up a level next season (only because her group seems to be moving in that direction).
This sounds just like our gym.

My dd's cheerleading coach is approachable and will always speak to you after practice if you need to. The coach always likes to inspire the girls and likes doing little montages for them with an inspirational message at the end and a great song.

The gym my dd goes to does special needs rec gymnastics classes and the coaches that run that always make a point and seeing every parent and tell them about their child's progress and gives them a chance to ask any questions.

From what I have seem of the team coaches they are also very approachable as well and likes to joke about the parents and will always make time to speak to the parents if needed and they also have regular meetings as well.

i wish the boys and girls rec side was run like this as we do pay a lot of less hours, from what I have seen the coaches will answer any questions that parents have but not many do speak to the coach unless there is a problem as it is a busy time at the gym with back to back rec classes and not much opportunities to speak to them as its so busy, it would be nice to have a sort of parents type meeting for parents that want them as we are paying to send our children to gym and we would like to know how they are getting on etc as they don't do things were you go watch them perform very often, they do rec comps once maybe twice a year but that its a apart from badge week that doesn't happen very often, should be once a term - 4 times a year but it is more like twice a year, that would be a good time to ask about possible future in a more relaxed non rushed setting,

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back