MAG How are your regionals run?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

jenjean70

Proud Parent
I checked the region 3 website today and discovered that next year (2019) they are going to break up the optional gymnasts and the compulsory gymnasts into two separate competitions, on different weekends in different places. Also it gave the breakdown by percent of who would qualify for regionals. It says 100% of the level 8-10 and JD gymnasts will qualify for regionals. On the compulsory side in region 3, level 4s and 5s have never gone to regionals. In the past their season would stop at North State or South State depending on your area. Next year level 4 will qualify about 30% of the gymnasts to regionals, level 5- 50%, level 6- 80% and level 7 - 100%. How has your region handled regionals in the past and is it changing at all for next year?

Region 1 does it all in one competition, over 3 days. Level 4 does not go to regionals. 5 and 6 there is an allotment per state that can qualify. Level 7 I think too. Optional all qualify to regionals.

REgion 9: 4s do not go to regionals. 5-7/JD have either an allotment or a score, depending on the level. All L8-10 qualify to regionals the past couple of years. It is all in one weekend, 3 days typically.

Now, our gym does 4/5 end at state, 6/7/JD end at regionals, 8-10, nationals (of course, if they qualify to regionals/nationals).

Not sure about this year... but I can't imagine it changing much!

Here in Australia Regionals is before states. Regions are smaller part of each state, my State has 7 regions. Anyone can attend regionals each year in March for Level 7-10's and August for Level 3-6.

Through regionals they qualify for States, to qualify they need to compete I. Regionals and achieve the qualification score at any sanctioned competition. Then States are held in April for Level 7-10 and September for Level 4-6. Level 3's can't qualify for States. Then from States higher levels can qualify for nationals in May.

I don't know if you noticed since you're in optionals, but this year (2018) for Texas they are also dividing levels 6-7 into North and South state - last year that was only through level 5. Now it will be North State for 4-7 in one meet, etc.

I wasn't aware of the regional changes. Our gym doesn't send any 4s to state anyway (don't make them register with USAG or anything) but I wonder if that will change. Interesting.

Region 7 - For the past two years, it's been Levels 5-10 in one 3-4 day session. There's a qualification score -- it's pretty low for compulsories, most everyone goes. Last year the qualifying scores were 46 and under. For L8-10 it's around 60 depending on level.

Reactions: sce
I don't know if you noticed since you're in optionals, but this year (2018) for Texas they are also dividing levels 6-7 into North and South state - last year that was only through level 5. Now it will be North State for 4-7 in one meet, etc.

I wasn't aware of the regional changes. Our gym doesn't send any 4s to state anyway (don't make them register with USAG or anything) but I wonder if that will change. Interesting.
I didn't think it was separated this year but I know that the 6s and 7s are competing state with the level 4s and 5s on a different weekend in Pearland so...Yeah- I guess it is. I guess they opted for a 2 step change- this year compulsory state and next year compulsory regional. To be honest I think Texas produces 80-90% of the gymnasts in our region anyway. The regional meets have maybe 10 kids from the other 5 states so regionals was almost like a second state. It was an eye opener going from south state to state- the north Texas area has some incredible gymnasts.

Region 7 - For the past two years, it's been Levels 5-10 in one 3-4 day session. There's a qualification score -- it's pretty low for compulsories, most everyone goes. Last year the qualifying scores were 46 and under. For L8-10 it's around 60 depending on level.
My DSs first year of level 7 the qualifying score was a 56! He made it by the skin of his teeth that year. Last year it was an allotment. Looks like this year everyone will make it and next year only the level 4s and 5s will have to fight for a spot.

I don't ever remember Level 4s going to Regionals......and really hope they don't start in our region, unless they chop down the total #'s for all levels. I wouldn't want any days added to make room for additional sessions. I know it's a money maker when there are more athletes, especially if there is an NCAA meet or similar in the area at the same time to help promote the sport, etc. But it's probably safe to say Regionals are already watered down, especially if there is nothing to qualify for. Even with Optionals, though there is the qualifications to Nationals, I'm not sure having almost 100% make it to Regionals is good either.

Speaking of Nationals.....the website is up and running if you haven't noticed http://www.mensjonational2018.com/
Also, looks like the 12yr old JO finals qualification # was reduced (slightly.....from 84 last year to 72 this year)....but not sure if that'll mean the % of regional qualifiers will change from last year either.

Speaking of Nationals.....the website is up and running if you haven't noticed http://www.mensjonational2018.com/
Also, looks like the 12yr old JO finals qualification # was reduced (slightly.....from 84 last year to 72 this year)....but not sure if that'll mean the % of regional qualifiers will change from last year either.

I thought they were going to reduce L8 more....and give more to L10. Last year 1/2 of Level 8s in the country made nationals, and 25-30% of L10s (can't remember exact.)

Where did you see numbers?

Never mind..it says 72 will make finals. I misread your post :)

I heard they were reducing L8 % this year because of the discrepancies last year. I think they are wanting more of the older boys....

I heard they were reducing L8 % this year because of the discrepancies last year. I think they are wanting more of the older boys....
I do hope it's more balanced this year.

So yes, less level 8s will make final but less of the other levels will too. This year the top 36 per age group plus the next 6 on each event will make finals. Last year that was top 42 plus 6 per event. It does say all JE athletes qualify to finals.

Yes. BEcause JE does techs during finals.

Interesting that they changed it. Oh well...probably watching it from home this year ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back