Coaches How can I open my own gym one day?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

abbieea07

Gymnast
Hi! I am currently a JO level 6 and love gymnastics, I'm still too young to become a coach at my gym but I've had experience as a coach in training helping coaches with younger groups and I absolutely love it!
I've been dream of owning my own gymnastics gym one day for the past few years, but I don't know how attainable that'll be. I know it obviously has to be expensive but I wanted to know how realistic my dream is and how you'd go about achieving it. I'd really love to be able to have higher level competitive as a part of my goal.
Any thoughts?

Do something else first! If you really want to own a successful gym you need life experience outside of the gym first.

Thank you! That would make sense, what sort of experiences do you think would be best?

That's a very broad question that doesn't have a specific answer.

The best advice I can give you is this: spend some significant time as an adult with gymnastics not being the center of your life before you decide if you want to commit to owning a gym. Make non-gymnastics friends, do non-gymnastics things, develop non-gymnastics skills and hobbies, travel to non-gymnastics places for non-gymnastics reasons.

If you someday become a gym owner, you are committing to having gymnastics be THE central focal point of your time, your energy, your life, for (hopefully) a good long time. And if that's the choice you want to make and the direction you want your life to take, then great! But you shouldn't make that decision without first getting some strong healthy perspective on what else life has to offer.

Above all, maintain your physical, mental, and financial health. Coaching and gym ownership can take a hefty toll on all three.

That's a very broad question that doesn't have a specific answer.

The best advice I can give you is this: spend some significant time as an adult with gymnastics not being the center of your life before you decide if you want to commit to owning a gym. Make non-gymnastics friends, do non-gymnastics things, develop non-gymnastics skills and hobbies, travel to non-gymnastics places for non-gymnastics reasons.

If you someday become a gym owner, you are committing to having gymnastics be THE central focal point of your time, your energy, your life, for (hopefully) a good long time. And if that's the choice you want to make and the direction you want your life to take, then great! But you shouldn't make that decision without first getting some strong healthy perspective on what else life has to offer.

Above all, maintain your physical, mental, and financial health. Coaching and gym ownership can take a hefty toll on all three.
That's good advice!

Yes, very much what Geoffrey Taucer said. To run business like this you need people skills, you get those in the real world, you need life experience. Not just gymnastics experience.

You also need to be prepared to commit your life to this. Experience as much of life as possible before deciding to give so much of it to a gym.

I own a large gym. Do I love it? Of course. Would I do it again if I had the chance to do it over? I don’t know. Is it worth the sacrifices? Don’t know, ask me in 10 years. Would I recommend this life to anyone else? No way!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back