Coaches How do coaches like the new Men's Compulsory Routines??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Any boys coaches out there.....Anyone have any opinios on the new routines for boys?? I have DS definately done with L4. L5 seems quite challenging...It seems like with the bonuses, there is a lot of room for awesomeness....

There are parts I like and parts I don't.

I really don't like the bonuses at level 4; it seems like on some events, the bonus is essentially to be a level 5-ready gymnast but compete level 4 anyway.

For example, floor. Aside from the front handspring, the two main skills that separate L4 from L5 are the press handstand and the roundoff backhandspring. Both can be done for bonus at L4.

The L5 mushroom routine can be done for bonus at L4.

I still hate all the vaults except the L6 one.

I don't like the straddled flyaway from rings at L5.

Otherwise, for the most part, I like the routines.

I have yet to see the final routines as right now our gym isn't preparing a boy's team. I could see coaching 2 boys, but that is really hard to do given parental commitments and funding their way to meets and such.

I liked some of the proposed changes and didn't like the straddled ring flyaway at all. I was a bit perplexed with the pommel and mushroom changes.

I guess I should just plop down and buy the materials myself. Well see.

Actually... coming from men's gymnastics, I don't like the compulsory levels AT ALL. Unlike the girls program, the boys compulsory routines don't have good progressions.

For example:
lvl4 straight jump
lvl5 front tuck
so a male gymnast has never even touched a vault table
lvl6 front handspring
lvl7 front handspring
lvl8,9,10 huge flipping vaults

Atleast the girls start with dive rolls, handstands and then the horse.

Actually... coming from men's gymnastics, I don't like the compulsory levels AT ALL. Unlike the girls program, the boys compulsory routines don't have good progressions.

For example:
lvl4 straight jump
lvl5 front tuck
so a male gymnast has never even touched a vault table
lvl6 front handspring
lvl7 front handspring
lvl8,9,10 huge flipping vaults

Actually, the level 7 vault is now a yamash­ita, even dumber in my opinion.

Atleast the girls start with dive rolls, handstands and then the horse.
I hate the diveroll, but otherwise I like the girls progression.

They are having the boys do a yamash*ita?! how is that helpful in anyway! The idiots at the top are really screwing up the men's program in my opinion.

Most of my L5 last season could do a front handspring on the table. We just didn't work it much because they were grouped with the L4's during the same workout. In fact, I've never had much of a problem teaching boys to front handspring in L5 off the table. So long as they had a decent front handspring and flyspring, it was simply a matter of run and punching. As for girl's in L4 and 5, it wasn't the same thing at all.

By taking the front headspring out of L5 they had to replace it with something. Dive roll? Eh, sure, why not as filler. Once my boys could do a nice punch front on vault, it merely a matter of training it on floor progressively and building their leg strength.

Floor routines have changed a little. I like the addition of a back handspring in L4 as bonus as one of my little guys would have loved to do it. In practice, I would let him do it anyways ( he was also in power tumbling L5 ). Pushup on the floor routine is a bit silly, but why not.

No more spindles and a direct stockli in L6. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It is interesting how the L4 and L5 horse routines have become dumb-downed, but the L4 mushroom routine has become mandatory. My only point of contention is that many L4 are very green as that is what the level is all about. I like the idea of consecutive scissor movements.

I have never done or taught a straddled flyaway as I got into the men gymnastics when there was no straddled flyaway in the JO. I will have to play with it before I have a real opinion on it. Personally, my L5's flyaways were fine and coaching other L5 and L6's to bigger flyaway was more a matter of refining their swing technique and turnover which was problematic.

Basically L7 vault is a front hand front timer. Sure. I can't remember off hand but don't they have a front hand front timer in the Future Stars program for a similar level. I thought it was front hand to resi with a stand but maybe I'm thinking of somethin else.

I like the bars changes as they aren't really big changes. My L5 actually started training bar flyaways on pbars at the end before I had them do it on the HB, since we would do it on a low bar with a bent knee swing as the first progression.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back