Parents How do I get my hands on "the book" or a good video on L6 compulsory skills/technique

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

misshoneybee

Proud Parent
Haven't posted in awhile, curious if you guys can help me out. My daughter wants a copy of what she calls "the book"....the book that all the coaches pull out and study to see if she is doing the routines exactly the way they should be done.

She also wanted me to find out if there is a series of DVD's on L6 compulsory routines. My other DD does soccer and there are many DVD's that you can purchase to help supplement the coaching you get at soccer practice. Does anything like this exist for gymnasts? I have googled and found a DVD program from Geddert but I was wondering if that was the only one in existance....

You can buy that from USAG--check out their website. The floor music can be purchased with the prompts. Just curious how the gym search went? Honestly buying all of this stuff may do more harm than good. If I remember, your dd had done L5 and thats what you were thinking would be her level at another gym. It is very hard for those of us who are not coaches to decipher all the language regarding rules/deductions correctly.

You can buy the code of points from USAG, but I wouldn't bother -- you can no doubt find plenty of videos on youtube showing the routines for free.

please delete this post for me, i dont know how. AND THIS ONEEE not the other one i posted,

You can buy a compulsory DVD with videos of the levels 4-6 routines performed and skills narrated. It is offered on the USAG site in the store.

We found it helpful to compare DDs bar routine to the nearly perfect one on the DVD. We couldn't see where all of the little 10th deductions were coming from. Just doing that was really eye-opening...

you can go to USAG and get the book that the coaches use but if you want something your DD can study and learn from the DVD is better as she can see the routines being done. That was what we got for my Daughter (our gym gave them to all compulsoriues to study the routines - we did pay a price for them but I don't remember how much it was a while back).

I would wait though for the next year documents to come out since all the routines and levels will be changing fall 2013.
Here is the link where you can purchase from USAG

USA Gymnastics - Rules & J.O. Materials

the book that all the coaches pull out and study to see if she is doing the routines exactly the way they should be done.

Ahh, but this is somewhat of a misnomer.

The book is a coaches "guideline" of skills that need to be done, but it does not include instructions about how they should be performed "exactly". The DVD's are... not the greatest. Youtube is much better. In fact, I've been told by a respected USAG judge that the girls on the DVD's would get about a 9.2 at best for their performance on the DVD.

Further, those trying to gain some competitive edge from the book will undoubtedly backfire by interpreting and practicing some of the skills incorrectly at home. This becomes counter-productive and confusing to your DD.

Youtube, If anything, is motivational, but I caution "instructional". I have seen countless videos online about would-be cheerleaders thinking they mastered the ROBHS by watching youtube. Conservatively, 90% of the time - they are mimicking the skill incorrectly, and will have a lot of trouble adding on to it if it ever came to that. Such as, muscling the legs over vs. shifting the hips from tight arch to hollow body during the snap down.

Above all - Encourage your DD to ASK the coach QUESTIONS. "How can I improve "x" skill?" "Was that good??" "How can it be better?" And then work on the things the coach says needs work, EVEN when those instructions don't seem like they are following the book. The coaches may interpret the book somewhat differently, but more importantly, they know best how the judges interpret it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back