How do I help my friend get her splits?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mack_the_Ripper

Well, I have a friend who is a L4-going-on-5 gymnast, and she does not have her good-leg splits on floor. Her mother was a gymnast, and she stretches at home almost every day (or so she says), but after a month of this, she has not gotten any closer. Her attitude is, "I'm not flexible so I'm not going to be flexible. Stop pushing me!"

I told her that if she's stretching every day and it's not doing anything, then she's not doing it right. I told her to relax and just let the pain happen, and she'll slide down soon enough. One coach in particular tries to shame her into working harder, and I think all of them are frusturated with her. She didn't have her splits in her L4 routine, and if she continues without them, the issue isn't going to resolve itself.

I think she must not be stretching right. When I joined team, I was just as unflexible as she is, but after six months of stretching at practice (not even stretching at home), I have my right AND left leg splits, and my middle is much closer. Do you guys think anyone can get their splits, if they work hard enough? How can I help her?

Well I was definitely one of those people who thought they would never get the splits. And I think this was the reason why it took me so long to finally get them...because I thought i would never be able to do it. Eventually I got motivated and would stretch, hold splits for a minute every way, then push as far as i could (hands up..) holding them for 10seconds each. As I got better at this I started holding them for longer - 12sec, 15sec, 20sec..... (I didn't even do this every single night). Holding over-splits and then splits right afterward also works good.

That's how I got my splits. But if she doesn't really want to do it then i wouldn't push her too hard, she will probably just get them in time.

i felt the same way when i started gymnastics.. i thought i was never going to be flexible so everyone needed to stop pushing me soo hard about getting my splits. but as i got older i began to relize more that if you want something bad enough you will push YOURSELF to get or make yourself better....
but thats just what i always went by to learn new skills.. and it worked for me!!

try having her hold on to your legs while you are standing up and she is on one knee and the other you hold on to and pull it over her head i know it sounds weird but it helps (and hurts but gets it done) this is what we do at our gym and she could do oversplits and you can push her down (but be carefull!!!) hope i helped!:)

Well, I have a friend who is a L4-going-on-5 gymnast, and she does not have her good-leg splits on floor. Her mother was a gymnast, and she stretches at home almost every day (or so she says), but after a month of this, she has not gotten any closer. Her attitude is, "I'm not flexible so I'm not going to be flexible. Stop pushing me!"

I told her that if she's stretching every day and it's not doing anything, then she's not doing it right. I told her to relax and just let the pain happen, and she'll slide down soon enough. One coach in particular tries to shame her into working harder, and I think all of them are frusturated with her. She didn't have her splits in her L4 routine, and if she continues without them, the issue isn't going to resolve itself.

I think she must not be stretching right. When I joined team, I was just as unflexible as she is, but after six months of stretching at practice (not even stretching at home), I have my right AND left leg splits, and my middle is much closer. Do you guys think anyone can get their splits, if they work hard enough? How can I help her?
well i am the captian at westys gym and every day during stretching we have the girl do a lunge then we take the leg thats in the front and lift it a little. then she has to relax while we put it higher and higher. a little girl who was dooing that had her dad who is in a wheel chair help her at home she now has her splits down. and if she says she will not be flexible that means she wont put the time in for it.

Try oversplits and hold them for two minutes on each side everyday.

One thing that I like to do is to first go down into what I find comfortable in my splits. Then I go down a little more and hold that each day until that gets comfortable too. I would highly recommend oversplits. (I personally think they are just fine until a coach decides to come over and "help" make your splits larger. Ouch)
-GCG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back