WAG How do I use uneven bars without hurting my rips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my coach tried taping over them and I wore my grips as well, Nope still hurt like I didn't even have the tape on! my coach tried liquid bandage but it came off!! What should I do to help it be less painful for me to use uneven bars?

Well, first of all I have to warn you that doing bars with rips does still hurt sometimes no matter what you do.
I'd recommend putting some vitamin E on the rip and covering it at night or when you are using your hands during the day. Chalk dries out your hands quickly. Liquid bandage can be helpful too, but sometimes it just peels off. Make sure to trim the skin around the rip.
How does your coach tape your hand?

You can tape a balloon to your hand. The side of the balloon will stick the hand and the insides of the ballon will rub together, taking the friction. So the rubbing isn’t on the skin.
I second the balloon trick! It has literally been a lifesaver for me. You just cut a hole near the top of the balloon and slip it on your finger and tape it down like a tape grip. In addition to this, I find that the Burt’s bees hand salve mixed with the chalk that gets put on hands creates a paste (I always have this covered by a balloon and my normal grips so it doesn’t get on the bar) that sticks to your hand really well and creates another added barrier between the rip and the bar.

You can tape a balloon to your hand. The side of the balloon will stick the hand and the insides of the ballon will rub together, taking the friction. So the rubbing isn’t on the skin.
Amazing. I'll have to remember this!!

I second the balloon trick! It has literally been a lifesaver for me. You just cut a hole near the top of the balloon and slip it on your finger and tape it down like a tape grip. In addition to this, I find that the Burt’s bees hand salve mixed with the chalk that gets put on hands creates a paste (I always have this covered by a balloon and my normal grips so it doesn’t get on the bar) that sticks to your hand really well and creates another added barrier between the rip and the bar.
I think I need a visual for your technique, I think. For this method, is it just one layer of the balloon between the tape and skin?

Amazing. I'll have to remember this!!

I think I need a visual for your technique, I think. For this method, is it just one layer of the balloon between the tape and skin?
It’s the entire balloon. You fold the top of the balloon and cut a slit so that your finger can slide through it. Then you stretch the balloon over the rest of your hand and tape it to your wrist. I’ve attached some pictures of what it looks like. I will say, it works great underneath a grip and can usually be used for weeks without the balloon ripping, however if it’s on a part of the hand that isn’t covered by the grip or is only partially covered, it may rip by the end of one practice.

Attachments

• 43888574-6508-4F4B-9DA4-4009D6C87ED5.jpeg
    43888574-6508-4F4B-9DA4-4009D6C87ED5.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 120FD675-7094-4434-A858-22EE41A388FD.jpeg
    120FD675-7094-4434-A858-22EE41A388FD.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 53
  • 19CAC51D-1130-4A63-B6CF-430C11199DFA.jpeg
    19CAC51D-1130-4A63-B6CF-430C11199DFA.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 54
It’s the entire balloon. You fold the top of the balloon and cut a slit so that your finger can slide through it. Then you stretch the balloon over the rest of your hand and tape it to your wrist. I’ve attached some pictures of what it looks like. I will say, it works great underneath a grip and can usually be used for weeks without the balloon ripping, however if it’s on a part of the hand that isn’t covered by the grip or is only partially covered, it may rip by the end of one practice.
Awesome!! Thanks for the pictures!

Well, first of all I have to warn you that doing bars with rips does still hurt sometimes no matter what you do.
I'd recommend putting some vitamin E on the rip and covering it at night or when you are using your hands during the day. Chalk dries out your hands quickly. Liquid bandage can be helpful too, but sometimes it just peels off. Make sure to trim the skin around the rip.
How does your coach tape your hand?
She wraps around the area where the rips are and goes diagonal across my rips so the tape stays. she does 1 layer around the wrist and 2 over the rips.

Thank you for the tip!

Thanks!

I just asked my kiddo(who has never had a rip, BUT knows many that have), she said that her gym recommends Voltaren or lidocaine gel/cream during gym....and salve after gum.

They also use tape & balloons sometimes, but always with a numbing/pain relieving gel first.

Hope your rips heal soon!! That is one part of this sport that seriously turns my stomach!! It just goes right through me to think about little girls working with open sores on their hands I am SOOOO grateful that my daughter seemed to bypass that part of things!!

I just asked my kiddo(who has never had a rip, BUT knows many that have), she said that her gym recommends Voltaren or lidocaine gel/cream during gym....and salve after gum.

They also use tape & balloons sometimes, but always with a numbing/pain relieving gel first.

Hope your rips heal soon!! That is one part of this sport that seriously turns my stomach!! It just goes right through me to think about little girls working with open sores on their hands I am SOOOO grateful that my daughter seemed to bypass that part of things!!
Thank you so much!! I never thought about numbing/pain relieving cream!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back