How do we get started?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are very new here! My little gym wannabe (4.5) attends at our local gym two days a week for an hour at a time. She is very new to gymnastics and in the basic rec class. The interesting part to all of this is that she has decided that she will "be a famous girl in a leotard." This is all she talks about!! I know enough to not ignore her goals and dreams, but I also refuse to be "that mom." Advice? There are several gyms in our area with pre teams for 5 year olds, the gym we are currently at doesn't start level 1 training until age 7. Again, I hate to be "that mom" but I can't help but think to the future.

Welcome!
For the moment, I would just make sure she is enjoying herself in clad and that the gym is convenient for you anxiety a safe environment. If she is still enjoying it in another 6 months, then I would look further. Have you spoken with her coach about this? Seems odd that they dont have a developmental program for pre-schoolers. And really, L1-3 skills are probably already incorporated in the rec classes.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Does she take two classes once a week or is the class twice a week? Seems more "developmental" if it's the same class twice a week.

Agree with Gymgal...she's 4...let her enjoy it for now, see how things play out before you make decisions on what track she needs to be on.

Hello! I have been lurking on this site for a while.. but your post I wanted to comment on, so I finally joined. I would say just let her keep going and having fun two days a week. 2 hours a week for her age is still a lot of training. If she in a rec class? Or is she on what they consider pre-team? Most gyms have pre-teams but they are hand selected. Both of my daughters are on pre-teams and it came out of the blue. My youngest is 3.5 and my oldest is 5.5. Both started at the age of two. But my 3.5 year old started on the gyms pre-school pre team before my older daughter was picked for her age groups pre-team. So it just depends on when the kids are noticed. Just keep it fun. Because they can start to burn out with the extra gym hours. Best of luck to you and your lil gymnast! :)

Hi, and welcome! I'm new here too :) My little one started one day a week rec classes (one hour), just to see if she liked it. After 2 months of rec she got invited to pre-team. So we went from 1 hour a week to 7.5 hours a week, big jump! I'm surprised your gym doesn't have a pre-team though, I thought those were pretty standard. Talk to your coaches, find out what they think on how she's doing. Honestly if it was me, I'd probably let her pick up some skills, make sure she's really loving it in a few more months once the newness wears off, and go from there. You will be able to tell if she's outgrowing her class, and her coaches should notice too. It's really fun watching them learn new skills, and see them learning that practice pays off. Good luck!

IF you want to go the team route and your gym doesn't even start L1 until 7yo I might look around as most gyms in my area have the 6yo -8yo at L4 and that is the common age at meets for that level. Some areas do compete L1 - L3 but most I've experienced start at L4 for competitive team. At 4 yo it would be easy to move her to a gym more focused on the team aspect. I think If she has this drive that you might want to consider a gym with the pre-team program. It can't hurt to just look and see what else is out there. In the end though it should be FUN first no matter where you end up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back