how do you keep your gym cool in the summer?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
We live in the south - and the gym is having a hard time keeping it comfortable this summer. We have had an unusual year for record temps for so many days in a row, which doesn't help. With the a/c running the warehouse still won't cool below 85. very little wind/breeze so opening the bay doors doesn't really help. thought about the huge fans but they are thousands of dollars. do other gyms have this problem? how have you solved it?

We live in the south - and the gym is having a hard time keeping it comfortable this summer. We have had an unusual year for record temps for so many days in a row, which doesn't help. With the a/c running the warehouse still won't cool below 85. very little wind/breeze so opening the bay doors doesn't really help. thought about the huge fans but they are thousands of dollars. do other gyms have this problem? how have you solved it?

85? That would be a treat here on the really hot days! No ac here! Haha. :D

We keep cool by not training as hard, opening the garage doors, and putting on lots of fans. We can get as many water breaks as we need, and we can spray each other with the gym's spritzer bottle.

We don't have A/C here though we have fans and ventilation and such. We're allowed to have water bottles in the gym as long as we don't do stupid things like spill them. We're allowed to go get water at any time, and a lot of girls keep water bottles in the fridge for break time - which is in the air-conditioned lobby. So we do get some time to cool off.

We schedule practices for early in the morning, so we can get out before it gets too hot.

Last edited:
A very efficient way of cooling large buildings, especially ones like warehouses, gyms, or barns, is having water spraying on the roof. It may sound odd, but it does work. I'm not sure where you can purchase a cooling system like this, but with a hose, a lot of pvc, some trial and error, and elbow grease, you can make a simple one. Maybe there is someone connected with the gym that is good with handyman type porjects and would be willing to help? It would be less expensive and quieter than fans.

you will probably think this sounds weird but our gym has a fire hose and when its hot all the gymnasts go outside and our coach hoses us down SOOOOOO MUCH FUN and so refreshing and cooooool :D

um...we don't we have some fans but they are pretty hopeless unless you are standing right in front of them :) oh and we open the doors

Water. We can get as much water as we like. Some girls wear two-piece leos. I like to go with damp hair in a bun so that it keeps me cool and doesn't drip. :p

We are also in the south, and it gets HOTTER THAN BLUE BLAZES in the summer..and the humidity will literaly take your breath away. At DD gym they have a few ceiling fans..although the look like residential. They have two of those very large industrial fans. The big ones..that stand about 5ish feet tall. . They just crank those puppies up..open the bay doors and hope for the best. They do have AC but with it being a large metal building it doesnt do any good when temps are up there. I may make mention sometime soon about the water on the roof to cool the roof down, in return cooling the building temp down.

Lots of water and hope for the best lol. It can get very hot sometimes over in my region. We can get drinks as often as we want, and we spray each other witht the spray bottles from bars. WE have a few fan on the ceiling that do nothing but make niose so those usally dont go on. We just open the bay doors. Also we can where workout shirts(the tight ones that runners wear) and shorts instead of a leo once or twice a week.Not much you can do

AC here as well :) Most of our customers are too high maintenance and would pull their kid right out if we didn't have AC. When it broke few years back they refused to come for the couple days it took to get fixed

I have not my own gym but the gym where i work out is under ground ...
At night i remains cool but at day time air conditions work to make it cool..

Our gym has AC but the HC/owner is too cheap to use it ...as a matter of fact doesn't use the heat much in the winter here either...so the gyms has 2 large fans which are useful to the 2 girls in front of them at a time...

I think that you need to spend a plenty of amount in order to arrange a good cooling environment in the Gym.The rush hours are from 5 onwards and you need to add a cooling maintainer along some Air conditioners in the Gym.

Our kids pay for AC...we give it to them. 26 tons and we still have a hard time some days!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back