WAG How do you know a gym is a good gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

HoldThePhone

Proud Parent
Let me preface by saying we're happy where we are, we're not looking to switch or anything, but I'm just generally curious.

I'm really just curious, for people who are new to the sport and have no clue about what makes a good program for recreational or competitive, what are things they should be looking for?

From my own experience, we ended up going through 3 gyms, just out of sheer lack of knowledge. None of them have been bad programs. First was not really a gym but a rec center. Someone had recommended for a kid just starting out that it would be sufficient, so that's what we did, and she quickly outgrew that program as they are very strict with age requirements and a level 1 class for instance was 6 and up. She had pretty much outgrown the preschool classes they offered within 2 months of once a week 30 minute classes according to the director.

During the second month at the rec center we added a second day at an actual gym. This gym was beautiful, about 25 minutes away without traffic which wasn't terrible, but with traffic was much worse. We liked the program okay, DD wanted more time so we added another class here for fun working on mostly floor skills. The overlap was about a month and she was taking just over 2hrs a week total. During our time here we started looking at continuing through the fall and times were not really what we needed because I work about an hour and a half from this gym, so we found one closer that falls between work and home. On the last day of class at gym 2 they wanted her to start their developmental track and add another class per week. (DD turned 4 in May)

Gym 3 is much smaller, but convenient. They started us in the Advanced Preschool class, and after the second class had her try for the pre-team, which is where she is now. We love the gym, and have since learned a lot more about this gym and the previous one, and feel very lucky that we just happened upon two (from what I hear) great gyms.

So all that said, we could have ended up in a bad program and never have known it because we didn't have anything to compare it to. So when you're starting out and looking for a program, how do you even know what to look for?

We're North of Atlanta and there are a TON of gyms around here it seems, though not all entirely convenient for us, but how in the world to people go about choosing?

I guess, if we were moving and had to look for a new gym, I would start off looking their mission statement and/or contract. I would want to see something that is child-focussed. I would be looking for statements in their policy or from the coaches that let me know that they realize that my child is just that... a child. And that keeping my child healthy (mentally and physically) and fostering her love of gymnastics is more important than winning. If I have to sign my life away (one local gym has a 2-year contract that says that, should you leave this gym, you can't go to another local gym within those two years. And if you do, you have to continue paying your fees at the original gym. Of course it's totally non-binding, and DD's current gym is full of girls who left that gym and broke their contract, but still...) and pledge to do things that make me feel uncomfortable (commit to a level of fundraising that seems unreasonable, etc.), I would think twice.

I'd be looking for a place where the older girls, and the coaches, are good role models for the younger girls. I'd also be looking for a place that has the ability to take her as far as she wants to go in the sport (if there are no girls training above level 7 or 8, you'll have to start looking for another gym when your daughter starts reaching the top end of what they have to offer). I'd look for someplace with safe equipment, someplace where every team girl isn't in some sort of brace or wrap or something. Hopefully someplace with dance as part of the curriculum. Someplace that makes every effort to communicate with the parents.

Luckily, I am also very happy that DD is at her current gym, which meets or exceeds all of these expectations. Not that there aren't things I would change, if I could, but overall I feel that DD is very blessed to be where she is.

I guess it depends on what you want and if the gym can meet your needs.

First off, across the board a "good" gym should have good communication or an open door policy. You should feel comforatble about approached coaches and owners. If you see an issue on the floor, are the coaches approachable, can you talk to them anytime, do the listen. The gym owner coaches my DD, and she has some health issues. She was out for 3 weeks and the girls behavior declined and they seemed to regressed. She was back in the gym Wed. I told her we needed to talk, she took the time at the end of practice, we went into an office, closed the doors and had a seat. We talked and she listened to my concerns, some will be addressed tonight. But, most important, I was completely comforatble doing that and she didn't make me feel like a crazy gym mom. Nothing makes disgruntled customers more quickly, then shutting off the communication.

Second, what do you want out of the program short term? Is it important for your DD to advance fast, or would she rather go more slowly? Is money an issues? more meets = more money, or would you rather just do a few meets. Are meets mandatory or not? Are scores important? Does you DD gain self confident from higher scores, higher placements at meets? Or is she a child who doesn't care about scores and just wants to go out there and learn skills as quickly as possible. For example, my DD does not have aspiration to spend her teenage years in the gym. Dancing in her first love and gymnastics for her, is a step to get her to her dancing goals.

Third what are her long term goals? Is gymnastics IT? and she wants to go to level 10 or elite? Our gym has several girls competiting at level 10, but we do not have an elite program. Am elite program doesn't necessarliy make a better program in the lower levels. Our non elite gym competes better than the elite gyms in our states, in levels 4-8.

Fourth, and sometimes the most important, is the feel of the gym. Teammates can make a HUGE difference. When my DD is in a group of super competative, bragging girls, she wants to quit. If she is in a group of supportive teammates, she LOVES it! My DD is not competative with her teammates, she wants everyone to win. She doesn't care if they beat her in competition or not, especially if the "team wins". Girls who come to practice and constantly tell everyone how much better they are, can kill the spirit of a child. It makes the environment toxic. The same thing carries over to parents.

Now I realize I didn't post this thread in the right forum probably, so feel free to move if necessary.

That's great you're at a gym you're happy with. I can't imagine being locked into a contract like that, and probably wouldn't ever join a gym that enforced such a thing.

Being that my daughter is 4, and we actually started gymnastics to help with her flexibility for dance, and to give her something to do in the summer when dance wasn't taking place, none of the things you mentioned were on my mind when finding somewhere for her to take classes. In fact, the first place, we had to take the Mommy and Me class since she'd never been in classes before. I couldn't have told you if she was going to take to it or not, only that she was doing somersaults from the time she could walk, and it freaked us out a little bit.

I feel like so much with a gym is not told up front and if you ask so much, you're labeled as a crazy parent whether that's the case or not.

The last gym (gym 2) and the current (gym 3) both have strong upper level programs, and both train elite as well. Not just saying they can train for elite, but have them competing junior elite, etc. So if the gym continues to be a good fit for us, and that was the path she went down, they do offer those things. Again though she's 4, and I'm not really concerned about where she'll be with gymnastics in 10 years, I just want her to continue to do something she loves, gymnastics or otherwise.

I wish there was a gym review site...that could be interesting.

Now I realize I didn't post this thread in the right forum probably, so feel free to move if necessary.

That's great you're at a gym you're happy with. I can't imagine being locked into a contract like that, and probably wouldn't ever join a gym that enforced such a thing.

Being that my daughter is 4, and we actually started gymnastics to help with her flexibility for dance, and to give her something to do in the summer when dance wasn't taking place, none of the things you mentioned were on my mind when finding somewhere for her to take classes. In fact, the first place, we had to take the Mommy and Me class since she'd never been in classes before. I couldn't have told you if she was going to take to it or not, only that she was doing somersaults from the time she could walk, and it freaked us out a little bit.

I feel like so much with a gym is not told up front and if you ask so much, you're labeled as a crazy parent whether that's the case or not.

The last gym (gym 2) and the current (gym 3) both have strong upper level programs, and both train elite as well. Not just saying they can train for elite, but have them competing junior elite, etc. So if the gym continues to be a good fit for us, and that was the path she went down, they do offer those things. Again though she's 4, and I'm not really concerned about where she'll be with gymnastics in 10 years, I just want her to continue to do something she loves, gymnastics or otherwise.

I wish there was a gym review site...that could be interesting.

I would avoid a gym with a contract. A lot of things can happen over a year. We do not have a contract and can quit anytime. Our gym doesn't even ask for an extra month of tuition. I can decide it is time to go, because grades dropped or my DD started hating the sport, etc... tomorrow if I wanted and I wouldn't owe anything but an explanation to the gym.

I wouldn't trust internet reviews just because you can get a parent who got miffed because their Precious Polly was promoted to top gymnast of the month and they could be taking it out on the gym.

I'm a "gut" person. We have been in three gyms. The first was a mommy and me class many years ago. It was great for that activity but I knew it wasn't a long term option because the set up just didn't look conducive to a strong competitive program. The facilities weren't right....like the floor was up against the wall on three sides, only two high beams, no pit, no channel bar.

The second gym was the gym she started rec and is the gym she competes for now. It is small which works best for my daughter's personality. There are lots of hugs, lots of out of gym social activities between gymnasts (not organized by gym, just friends hanging out, spending the night, etc.). The competitive program is strong but not the "best" gym in the state. However, our gymnasts place well in meets and we have many state titles every year. It's the best for us.

The third gym was one of the powerhouse gyms in our state and I checked it out when she was about to transition to Team. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about and see what our options were. It was a big gym, amazing facility, etc but the coaches were "leg poppers" (small slaps on the legs to straighten knees) and spoke rather harshly to the girls. They get fabulous placement at meets and place kids in college and I'm not disparaging the gym. It just wasn't for us so we thanked them for their time and left.

Like others are saying, good is dependent on your family's needs and wants.

For us right now, we're not competing so while I assume we will stay at this gym, and that she'll compete for this team, we don't know what the future holds. I guess I just hear so much whether at the gym or from other parents or even on here about oh this gym is no good, that gym is mean, etc, etc. It's hard to know if the one you chose will end up being one that is not only the right gym now (especially since she doesn't compete yet) and will it continue to be the right gym as she progresses. If it's not going to be, what could we have done to see that sooner, etc. Again, we're happy where we are, and this is all pretty much hypothetical, it just seems for a lot of people choosing a gym is almost a secret process until you're in and hear everything, good or bad.

look to see how many "older" kids they have in the gym. :)

LOL. There are older kids. They are about 1/4 the size as the second gym we went to, but the team program is just as strong. I was actually surprised because it seems they have just as many optional gymnasts as they do compulsory. They have girls getting college scholarships, including to better programs like UGA. My question about finding a good gym, again was not so much for me right now, but what maybe I wish I'd known a few months ago when we started. I'm thankful that we seem to have stumbled on a good program.

It sounds like u are at a good gym. Listen to MaryA I second her advice. At 4, you have some wiggle room. Keep her where she I'd happiest. I didn't even let my dd start until she was 6, and now at 9 she is a L 7. Good luck to you!!

I would say older in gymnastics is highschool. Because highschool is the age where if the girls aren't totally into it, they will quit. If they don't love where they are, they will quit. Middle school too, but there is more parental input at the middle school age. Highschool, all bets are off!
What is "older" in gymnastics? 10? ;)

I would also say to look for a gym that offers both JO and PrepOpt. Our gym offers both and each program is strong. In fact, many girls at middle school/high school switch to the PrepOpt program because, as others have pointed out, this is the age where they realize they might want a life outside of gymnastics! So, they can still compete, some do their HS team, some play a different HS sport but still can do gymnastics as, after all, it's in their blood!

So, if you have a child who loves it but wants other options as they get older, a good gym with strong programs in both is an option. Our gym grows both and as a result, our PrepOpts do very well. It's not that the girls are 'sent off' if they aren't good enough for JO....it's just another option in our very busy, very competitive city. High powered kids doing a lot of stuff.

Just a thought.

"Good" is so subjective. The first thing is knowing what you value. If your primary focus is that you want your child to have fun at gym, you may look for different things than if you want your child to maximize their potential.

My family is more on the maximizing potential side. We looked for the qualifications of the head coach, the focus on discipline and conditioning (this is the biggest difference in performance during competition in my limited experience and observation) and we watched the way that the kids were coached. We wanted to see the little technical corrections that only someone with an eye for detail and experience could notice. We may not know what to look for, but you can see that the coach does by the way they correct the gymnasts. We found what we were looking for and are incredibly happy where we are.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back