Parents How do you know when to not push?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter went through the same thing when she was 5 (she's now 6). When I drilled down and asked her what it was about (it took several conversations to get it out) she admitted she was afraid of beam because she also fell on her handstand, scraped her leg a little, and was terrified). I talked to her coach and let them know what was going on, and they took it easy with her on beam to help get her confidence back. They let her work on low beam for a couple of days, and let her make the decision to go back up to high beam. Ever since then, she has loved the sport again, and isn't fearful to go. This was a year ago, and it seems so long ago that she had the idea to quit. Initially my daughter was really bummed about missing pit time and fun time at the more committed level, but she doesn't seem to mention it anymore and is more excited about practicing for competitions. Maybe this can help?

She's five and in Kindergarten! It should be FUN!
It's the rare child who understands committment at this age.

My daughter is 14 and Level 9. She still enjoys a fun jump into the pit (new foam in September, yay!) or a bit of free jump tramp time. She never did a pre team...she did a weekly rec class through 2nd grade! Did Prep Opt 6 hours a week in 3/4th grade adn started JO in 5th grade..10 years old.

No, she's not Elite track or olympic bound. But she does well, she is happy and feels good about herself as an athlete.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is starting at 5 with such intense hours is a recipe for burn out if your child is already complaining.

I bet if someone were to go back to the beginning of this list, many of the 'my five year old gym girl is amazing' are likely long since gone from the sport.

Yes, it's my personal opinion, but I'd say take it SLOW! Gymnastics is not a race. Only 5 girls will make the Olympics every 4 years. A few more will make the National team or college gymnastics.

But the rest? Many will burn out, some will face injury. Some will continue and enjoy (for the most part) the journey.

My two cents.

Good thread for me to read. My 4.5 year old is nowhere near team and only practices 1 hour per week, but she vacillates on EVERYTHING she does. She complains about school in one breath and then recounts every detail in an excited voice the next. She doesn't want to go to gymnastics anymore, then she wants to go EVERY DAY. I didn't sign her up for dance this year because she often complained about it last year. Now she wants to go again.

Is your daughter like this, or is it just gymnastics and just since being on team? I think that might make a difference, if she has the kind of personality where she lives in the moment and decides from moment to moment how she feels about things and has no problem telling you all her feelings.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back